Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v10.0: Blue Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I saw one of those minuses was an empty netter and he led the Knights with 6 shots. Really interested to see how much he starts producing when he gets comfortable with the team/system. I don’t think he’s even practiced with them yet.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Agreed.

The Hawks will have a young but exciting roster next season and they are young already.
Yup and I think Mitchell might sign at the end of this NCAA season. Things are looking good for the future.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Boqvist didn't put up any points in his 2nd OHL game, but he did put up another 6 shots. Which I am perfectly okay with for a defenseman.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Boqvist is special. Time will tell how good he will be. After my research was complete, I was sure he had the upside to be almost as good, if not just as good as Dahlin. Dahlin was 1st OA because he is much safer, but Boqvist might actually have the higher ceiling and also has a much lower floor. No doubt to me he's the 2nd best D prospect in that 2018 draft class.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Boqvist is special. Time will tell how good he will be. After my research was complete, I was sure he had the upside to be almost as good, if not just as good as Dahlin. Dahlin was 1st OA because he is much safer, but Boqvist might actually have the higher ceiling and also has a much lower floor. No doubt to me he's the 2nd best D prospect in that 2018 draft class.

He was in the top 3-4 prospects for most of the season. I know people were not huge fans of the pick as they wanted OW or ND but the Hawks went with the most talented/highest ceiling player. Looks really good so far but time will tell.

I am not a huge Hughes fan but don't discount his ability.

I am the most high on Svechnikov as I see another potential Hossa in his game.

The crazy part is Dahlin is still a step above potentially. Not sure how he has looked in the preseason though.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He was in the top 3-4 prospects for most of the season. I know people were not huge fans of the pick as they wanted OW or ND but the Hawks went with the most talented/highest ceiling player. Looks really good so far but time will tell.

I am not a huge Hughes fan but don't discount his ability.

I am the most high on Svechnikov as I see another potential Hossa in his game.

The crazy part is Dahlin is still a step above potentially. Not sure how he has looked in the preseason though.
The only reason I'd give Dahlin a step above potentially is because he's got 3 inches on Boqvist. He has a chance to have a physical game where Boqvist really doesn't.
I was shocked Boqvist made it all the way to 8. I was sure he was going to either Ottawa or Detroit.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The only reason I'd give Dahlin a step above potentially is because he's got 3 inches on Boqvist. He has a chance to have a physical game where Boqvist really doesn't.
I was shocked Boqvist made it all the way to 8. I was sure he was going to either Ottawa or Detroit.

Zadina dropping and BH going to AZ mucked everything up and made it possible. It was a weird draft year. I thought Detroit, Ottawa, or Van would take him but Hughes complicated Detroit as well.

Dahlin has Nicklas Lidström potential and Boqvist has Erik Karlsson potential. This is their gap in my opinion which is crazy to think about.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Zadina dropping and BH going to AZ mucked everything up and made it possible. It was a weird draft year. I thought Detroit, Ottawa, or Van would take him but Hughes complicated Detroit as well.

Dahlin has Nicklas Lidström potential and Boqvist has Erik Karlsson potential. This is their gap in my opinion which is crazy to think about.
Agreed on the ceiling. Both Lidstrom and Karlsson would be on Team Sweden's all time roster.
The Hawks went with BPA and you can't blame them. Going BPA is almost always the right call when it comes to drafting. Only exception is the NFL where draft picks have more value than players themselves.

Last edited:

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I was all in on the Quinn Hughes hype train pre-draft. But like I’ve said before I really diddnt seen any of Boqvist before the draft (as I would assume most other big hockey fans in NA hadn’t seen much of him either) but after doing my homework and watching him this preseason/camp I can say I think Boqvist is every bit as good as Hughes and honestly wouldn’t trade them 1for1 at this point because I think Boqvist has the higher ceiling. I think the only thing Hughes has on Boqvist is his skating and Boqvist is no slouch there.

As soon as he gets aclimated to the team/system, he’s going to start turning some heads in London.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I was all in on the Quinn Hughes hype train pre-draft. But like I’ve said before I really diddnt seen any of Boqvist before the draft (as I would assume most other big hockey fans in NA hadn’t seen much of him either) but after doing my homework and watching him this preseason/camp I can say I think Boqvist is every bit as good as Hughes and honestly wouldn’t trade them 1for1 at this point because I think Boqvist has the higher ceiling. I think the only thing Hughes has on Boqvist is his skating and Boqvist is no slouch there.

As soon as he gets aclimated to the team/system, he’s going to start turning some heads in London.
Boqvist is going to climb Prospect lists all season. Wouldn't surprise me if he made the top 10 by Spring. Being in the OHL and dominating that league is only going to help, as he'll get much more exposure than he would have in the Swedish junior league.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

He's already turning heads. Look at the highlight clips above. :thumbu:

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
He's already turning heads. Look at the highlight clips above. :thumbu:
You mean the ones I posted? ;)

But yeah I just meant he’s gonna start putting up some serious numbers. 12 shots in his first two games as a defenseman is pretty damn impressive. He’s got a really good shot too, eventually gonna start finding twine. We haven’t had a shooting defenseman in quite awhile.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You mean the ones I posted? ;)

But yeah I just meant he’s gonna start putting up some serious numbers. 12 shots in his first two games as a defenseman is pretty damn impressive. We haven’t had a shooting defenseman in quite awhile.

I knew you posted them. :thumbu:

But yeah, I get what you're saying.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008

Dahlin looks more like a Lidstrom-Karlsson hybrid. Looks to be quite a bit more talented offensively than Lidstrom, who I followed his whole career here in Michigan, while perhaps shy of him defensively. Lidstrom was just so uneventfully solid on defense, just about every game.

Actually, offensively I see more Orr than Karlsson in Dahlin, particularly the way he elusively rushes by changing the puck’s direction with a quick push (allowing the puck to slide alongside/ahead of him) rather than quickly stick handling like Kane, for example. Redirection. Economy of movement at full speed. It’s really quite impressive.

Boqvist, more Karlsson-like in that he’s more one dimensional right now. All offense. I’m hopeful that he works hard on the defensive aspects this year.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Dahlin looks more like a Lidstrom-Karlsson hybrid. Looks to be quite a bit more talented offensively than Lidstrom, who I followed his whole career here in Michigan, while perhaps shy of him defensively. Lidstrom was just so uneventfully solid on defense, just about every game.

Actually, offensively I see more Orr than Karlsson in Dahlin, particularly the way he elusively rushes by changing the puck’s direction with a quick push (allowing the puck to slide alongside/ahead of him) rather than quickly stick handling like Kane, for example. Redirection. Economy of movement at full speed. It’s really quite impressive.

Boqvist, more Karlsson-like in that he’s more one dimensional right now. All offense. I’m hopeful that he works hard on the defensive aspects this year.

You know Lidstrom and Karlsson have similar offensive production right?

I was also in Detroit during part of his prime and it shows how good he was and still under than radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad