Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v10.0: Blue Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
First time seeing Quinn Hughes. He's impressive with the puck on his stick.
He moves really well, forces opposition into following, areas left unattended, and he puts the puck right onto his teammates’ stick. Looks like he’s moving pieces on the chessboard to make his play.

And then there’s this move...

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Watching the Gretzky-Hlinka u-18 tornament on TSN here in Canada....we get all the Team Canada games and another game played in the same rink that day ..so we have only seem highlights of USA and Russia in the other preliminary division..But Rusdkues have rolled through all opposition in their division and are scoring a pile of goals...Since they beat USA easily yesterday,the Russians hit the semi-finals to play Sedan who lost a close one last night to Canada and thus finish 2nd in their division ..And USA as 2nd place in their division now plays Canada who were top of that division in the mother semi-final on Friday ..

So looking forward to just g the Russian prospects and USA prospects since I have only seen highlights on them..

But I have watched Canada and Sweden games I their division..and the scouting buzz on the 2020 draft class (the 16 yr Olds in this tournament) are spot on. ..Amazing talents coming up for that draft ..Alexis Lafreniere for Canada is a superstar in the making ...Holloway is another forward who at 16 is showing he could be a great pick...And I really have been impressed by Barron on defense for a 16 yr old ..

For Sweden the 2 16 year old forwards are their 2 best players. ..Lukas Raymond is absolutely a tremendous hockey talent already ...sets up plays...scores goals...takes away pucks...kills penalties. ..and even though he plays LW he also is good on face offs. ..He also has hockey sense both ways and a great work ethic..I am so impressed with him ,he could be #1 in 2020 even ahead of Lafreniere ...I have not seem a player as complete and all round good as Raymond in a long time...Great speed too. Also saw him throw body checks ..He has it all.
The other 16 yr old is Alexander Holtz ...Very good speed and a rocket of a shot .Should be top 5 pick in 2020 too..
As to some of the 2019 eligible. .Canada has several good ones in Cozens ,Dach, Clarke and Krebs ...Dylan Cozens is the big C everyone covets...he is good on draws and skates very well,and has a good work ethic..but he ought to have produced more points I think in Canada's games so far ..He has made some really good Powe and pick Co trol attacks on net but somehow no goals came of it..so I wonder if his offensive upside is more limited than a lot have thought as many have him rated #2 after Jack Hughes for 2019...Still big 6'4 Centres are hard to ignore and as we saw with Kotjaniemi and Hayton this last draft there will be a premium to grab this type early ...Cozens also is captain..so a lot expected of him for leadership of team Canada..but the under performance on actual points by him got him benched for a few shifts last game.. I think they expected more than he has produced to date in 3 games from such a highly rated prospect.. So we may have to watch him over this season on his progression or not..

Kirby Dach is an interesting prospect . He is playing RW for team Canada ...Big player ...will go to corners and get pucks then make nice dishes to set up guys for shots von goal..Also goes well to net area..tips and deflection screens..all that to help contribute to those types of resulting goals. I like him a lot.

Krebs is the top line Centre on Canada nd rated very highly...makes nice plays at high sped on transitions ..but not sure if his shot is special enough to get exited on...Perhaps a good but not greatness potential level..

Clarke is an interesting player ..plays RW ...He looks like a shooter/sniper type but will go to the boards to get pucks and make plays ...He has a goal scorer shot .and quick relese..needs to play with a set up Centre type for one timers and snap shots..He does however have an annoying habit of tapping his stick on the ice to indicate to team-mate he is open and to get him the puck ...it looks a bit selfish..but to be a goal scorer you need to have the confidence and belief you can be the difference-maker . SO telling guys you are open and want to shoot the puck is a trait many such types will use ..He probably by will be taken in the top 10-15 of the 201 9 draft ...

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well what a game! Canada beats USA 6-5 in OT at the Hlinka -Gretzky u-18 tournament I the semi-final..Exciting going back and forth game .Canada oed4-3 in 3rd till USA tied and too the lead.Then controversy at the end of the 3rd. Canada ties it 5-5 though in actuality play had expires before the puck passed the goalie ...However there could be no video review because of the tournament rules even though in this arena there was TV coverage ..but because the games in Red Deer were not televised earlier in the tournament the rules did not allow any video review for all games to be fair to all teams.So they must rly only on the call on the ice .And the refs had called it a go idea goal ..even though on TV we clearly saw the clock was at zero before the puck crossed ..USA rightly should feel jobber ..but it ought to be poi Ted out they scored a goal earlier in the game
as a result of a Canda d-men getting tripped and no call to penalize was made by the refs. .so the "ref " breaks did in fairness even out ..

Kudos to USA for playing a terrific puck pressure game..exposing the Canadian D-corps time and again..Upto this game the Canadian d-men had been stellar in all their prior games and the Canadian goalie had little work to do facing bunches of dangerous shots...but tonight he was tested a lot and let in 5..Terrific games by Nick Robertson with a hatty and assist and by Toporowski for USA ...they play in the OHL and WHL respectively ...and played better than some of the more highly rated Canadian players from those leagues...Again Lafrebirer was very good for Canada and also thought the other 16 yr old forward Holloway played well ..the 2019 draft eligible highly touted WHL star forwards e pected to go high I the draft,Centre's Dylan Cozens and Peyton Krebs did not impress me ...yes I know Cozens scored to tie it on the Co trove rial goal..but before that like most of the
His tournament he did not produce or impact
Like I expected from the hype...also made some bad decisions on blind back passes to no one and coughed up pucks e hen stopped on attacking rushes. .I did not see enough scoring g from. I'm him or creative pkaymaking ....I will as ready to knock him way down for a disappointment ting tournament for on some rankings the #2 after Jack Hughes for 2019..He looked more like a 3rd line projection type ..so ething is missing there.Of course he would be the one thing the game on that controversial goal ..As to his 2 WHL buddies Krebs and Sach ...also rated top 5 or at least top 7 for the draft (it is esrly)..Krebs looked speedy and creative early in the tournament ..but in realty also a disappointment in production and finishing ...Dach missed finishing on some great chances several times
thiss tournament ..but he also hit posts. .got deflection goals ..screened well in front and at net . And overall played better than Krebs or Cozens all tournament to date. ..so I give him a higher grade than Krebs and Cozens...Canada has a deep team and got lots of scoring from many players..but Krebs and Cozens should have produced a lot more than they have given their high ranking on most pre2018/19 season lists...So I think they are. Disappointing so far ...Probably USA gets up to play against Canada because clearly Robertson and Toporowski had special games and elevated to the max this game .Whether this is an indication of their true development and talent now blossoming or a 1-off...not sure. .But they gave Canada fits trying to defend them and they produced goals ...And starred tonight.

The point is...Robertson had only 15 goals last season for Peterborough as a 16 year old ..tonight he gets a hatty..so maybe he ups to 40+ this season for the Petes? Lafreniere got more than 40 last season in the Q as a 16 year old who will not turn 17 till this October ...so as great as he has been this whole tournament ..even he has not produced a hatty so far in this tournament ..And so maybe it was just 1 special night for Robertson who lead by example for his USA team ...You kind of think that Lafreniere could dominate a game with a hatty in this tournament in a big crucial finals game with all on the line..but maybe a Gretzky or a Lemieux could ..but even as well as Lafreniere has played he has not impacted an entire game as much as Robertson did for USA tonight ..he was astonishing ..but again,a 1off night nit to be so impact full again..or did we witness a coming out party that he can be that special? It is hard to say. .but he was so so dagerkusxa threat all game and looked so special ..Scouts gad to notice for sure. .The Candia D-corps were embarrassed by how silky he made them look ..Maybe he surprised himself ...he probably surprised a lot of scouts that he looked so unstoppable and hard to defend .

The entire Canada D-corps had real problems tonight ...Byram (2019 draft eligible and a top 5-10 on many early Eakins gs had a poor game and Nathan Barron the 16 yr old (2020 draft) who had played so well in all prior games for Canada,was simply dreadful tonight..coughing up pucks and giveaways all game under go recheck pressure ...so like Robertson for USA where I ask a 1-off night of greatness ?I ask for Barron...a 1 night off night of dreadful play?

Or does this show scouts the real potential and real flaws of players . JUST 1 game..but a lot revealed...maybe.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Sounds like there is a pretty good chance Tkachuk goes to London if he doesn't make the Sens. The Knights are going to absolutely clown the OHL next year if so.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018

Altybarmakyan also scored for SKA yesterday. Could be due for a breakout year finally getting consistent KHL ice time.

Assist:

migi

Feb 25, 2015

Altybarmakyan also scored for SKA yesterday. Could be due for a breakout year finally getting consistent KHL ice time.

Assist:

The team which he played for yesterday and today was the VHL aka farm team of SKA so he is not currently getting even icetime in the big club. Maybe he will, maybe he dont.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
The team which he played for yesterday and today was the VHL aka farm team of SKA so he is not currently getting even icetime in the big club. Maybe he will, maybe he dont.
I was basing that off a Powers quote. Earlier in the offseason he said something to the extent that he expects Altybarmaykan and Kayumov to get consistent KHL ice time this year. Powers is normally really tapped into those kind of things so I’m just taking his word for it.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I was basing that off a Powers quote. Earlier in the offseason he said something to the extent that he expects Altybarmaykan and Kayumov to get consistent KHL ice time this year. Powers is normally really tapped into those kind of things so I’m just taking his word for it.

Yeah, I had to check which team he played for because I was pretty sure KHL-SKA isnt playing friendly matches at this moment because they are in training camp in Finland at the moment.

Kayumov will probably because Lokomotiv ain’t that good team and he already played in playoffs. Altybarmakyan has better chance than last year because SKA is also weaker but the fact that he isn’t with the big club implies something.

SKA will play tomorrow against Jokerit in Finland and Altybarmakyan was in St. Petersburg today.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well what a game! Canada beats USA 6-5 in OT at the Hlinka -Gretzky u-18 tournament I the semi-final..Exciting going back and forth game .Canada oed4-3 in 3rd till USA tied and too the lead.Then controversy at the end of the 3rd. Canada ties it 5-5 though in actuality play had expires before the puck passed the goalie ...However there could be no video review because of the tournament rules even though in this arena there was TV coverage ..but because the games in Red Deer were not televised earlier in the tournament the rules did not allow any video review for all games to be fair to all teams.So they must rly only on the call on the ice .And the refs had called it a go idea goal ..even though on TV we clearly saw the clock was at zero before the puck crossed ..USA rightly should feel jobber ..but it ought to be poi Ted out they scored a goal earlier in the game
as a result of a Canda d-men getting tripped and no call to penalize was made by the refs. .so the "ref " breaks did in fairness even out ..

Kudos to USA for playing a terrific puck pressure game..exposing the Canadian D-corps time and again..Upto this game the Canadian d-men had been stellar in all their prior games and the Canadian goalie had little work to do facing bunches of dangerous shots...but tonight he was tested a lot and let in 5..Terrific games by Nick Robertson with a hatty and assist and by Toporowski for USA ...they play in the OHL and WHL respectively ...and played better than some of the more highly rated Canadian players from those leagues...Again Lafrebirer was very good for Canada and also thought the other 16 yr old forward Holloway played well ..the 2019 draft eligible highly touted WHL star forwards e pected to go high I the draft,Centre's Dylan Cozens and Peyton Krebs did not impress me ...yes I know Cozens scored to tie it on the Co trove rial goal..but before that like most of the
His tournament he did not produce or impact
Like I expected from the hype...also made some bad decisions on blind back passes to no one and coughed up pucks e hen stopped on attacking rushes. .I did not see enough scoring g from. I'm him or creative pkaymaking ....I will as ready to knock him way down for a disappointment ting tournament for on some rankings the #2 after Jack Hughes for 2019..He looked more like a 3rd line projection type ..so ething is missing there.Of course he would be the one thing the game on that controversial goal ..As to his 2 WHL buddies Krebs and Sach ...also rated top 5 or at least top 7 for the draft (it is esrly)..Krebs looked speedy and creative early in the tournament ..but in realty also a disappointment in production and finishing ...Dach missed finishing on some great chances several times
thiss tournament ..but he also hit posts. .got deflection goals ..screened well in front and at net . And overall played better than Krebs or Cozens all tournament to date. ..so I give him a higher grade than Krebs and Cozens...Canada has a deep team and got lots of scoring from many players..but Krebs and Cozens should have produced a lot more than they have given their high ranking on most pre2018/19 season lists...So I think they are. Disappointing so far ...Probably USA gets up to play against Canada because clearly Robertson and Toporowski had special games and elevated to the max this game .Whether this is an indication of their true development and talent now blossoming or a 1-off...not sure. .But they gave Canada fits trying to defend them and they produced goals ...And starred tonight.

The point is...Robertson had only 15 goals last season for Peterborough as a 16 year old ..tonight he gets a hatty..so maybe he ups to 40+ this season for the Petes? Lafreniere got more than 40 last season in the Q as a 16 year old who will not turn 17 till this October ...so as great as he has been this whole tournament ..even he has not produced a hatty so far in this tournament ..And so maybe it was just 1 special night for Robertson who lead by example for his USA team ...You kind of think that Lafreniere could dominate a game with a hatty in this tournament in a big crucial finals game with all on the line..but maybe a Gretzky or a Lemieux could ..but even as well as Lafreniere has played he has not impacted an entire game as much as Robertson did for USA tonight ..he was astonishing ..but again,a 1off night nit to be so impact full again..or did we witness a coming out party that he can be that special? It is hard to say. .but he was so so dagerkusxa threat all game and looked so special ..Scouts gad to notice for sure. .The Candia D-corps were embarrassed by how silky he made them look ..Maybe he surprised himself ...he probably surprised a lot of scouts that he looked so unstoppable and hard to defend .

The entire Canada D-corps had real problems tonight ...Byram (2019 draft eligible and a top 5-10 on many early Eakins gs had a poor game and Nathan Barron the 16 yr old (2020 draft) who had played so well in all prior games for Canada,was simply dreadful tonight..coughing up pucks and giveaways all game under go recheck pressure ...so like Robertson for USA where I ask a 1-off night of greatness ?I ask for Barron...a 1 night off night of dreadful play?

Or does this show scouts the real potential and real flaws of players . JUST 1 game..but a lot revealed...maybe.
Robertson was impressive indeed. He will grow some more like his big bro Jason Robertson who Dallas stole in the 2nd round 2 years back.

Him, Toporowski, Farinacci, Kaliyev, and Mastrosimone were my fav forwards for a deep USA team...even if it was a B team and zero USNDP players were there.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Pronman doing his yearly offseason farm system rankings. Hawks at #14. Huge improvement from #27 last offseason.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Chicago’s system is quite deep. In fact, in terms of number of prospects ranked, they are tied for first among all teams. The top of the system isn’t too impressive outside Adam Boqvist, but there are a lot of quality prospects throughout their ranks.

This is a good comment.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This is a good comment.

I slightly disagree with the last portion. The top of their system is amazing when it comes to D(the much harder position to find great prospects), but their O is a little underwhelming. And a big part of that has to do with numerous players expecting to graduate to the big club this season, IMO.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I slightly disagree with the last portion. The top of their system is amazing when it comes to D(the much harder position to find great prospects), but their O is a little underwhelming. And a big part of that has to do with numerous players expecting to graduate to the big club this season, IMO.

I do think there is a slight gap in prospect readiness.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
This is a good comment.
That is the thing that surprised me the most when I read the article, but I am incredible happy to see it.

Just think if we get another top 10 pick, or hell, top 5 pick in next year's draft. High end prospects are the only knock we have going ATM and another top pick should fix that right up.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
very little *****ing on the main board that we were 14th overall..pleasantly surprised the haters must have missed it!!
With how much depth is in this system it’s impossible to complain about the hawks system being in the top half of the league after adding a piece like Boqvist.

I think they were voted like 16 on the main board so it’s pretty much exactly where most people have them.

Hawkster

It's on.
Aug 2, 2005
Three of the Hawks' QMJHL prospects played in pre-season games last night.

Kurashev was the standout - 2 goals and 2 assists in a 5-2 win.
Beaudin scored a goal in a 6-4 loss.
Gravel played half the game and stopped all 8 shots he faced.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Robin Norrel is headed back to Sweden. Not surprising since he wound up scratched or shifted to wing some games because of the deep D pool last year that increased. He would have been indy bound.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Thought about an OHL stream myself but I can’t see myself having enough time to watch enough games to make it worth it. That shits expensive.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad