Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v10.0: Blue Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Just finished watching the Ottawa 67's beat Sault Ste Marie 6-2 this afternoon in OHL action. ..my first viewing of the cars this season even though I live in Ottawa and this is already their 8th game of the season (this their 5th win) ...they were expected to be a top CHL squad this year and cane into the season ranked 10th of all CHL teams ...but I think the way they have started to gel now they may end up this season as the top OHL team and probably top 3 in the CHL ...I see a lot of depth of talent ...even their 4th line was very good today ...but some of their veteran drafted talent up front have not even started scoring yet ...Kody Clarke the Washington 3nd rounder last year had a slow start to the season and is just starting to look good again. ..But some undrafted vets like overage Felbauer and the 19 year old Austen Keating have been tremendous this season so far and we're great ago today ...Perhaps Stan and our scouting staff should be looking at them if they continue to shine the crest of this season...Some are just late bloomers...However what I am most excited about is 2020 draft eligible Centre Marco Rossi the Austrian native who has dual citizenship with Switzerland...He is very dynamic...Only 5'9 174 (which is still heavier than Jack Hughes even though he us a year younger) he had 1g 1a and drive his line to multipoints for his wingers ...he finished +4 today with 3 shots on goal but it was several rushes and beautiful dishes at speed off those rushes right up the gut that excite me ...he has the speed to be a threat on these quick transitions carrying the puck or the ability to catch up to make it a 2 on 1 or 3 on orc3 on 1 event ...He did this several times..Den have got to be very careful ompinches orvthey will get caught ..great frost stephan he is at full speed right away ..can leave checkers in the neutral zone behind in the dust quickly..Yes he is another smurf...but a very dangerous and exciting smurf;I also saw him win most of his draws..in fact Ottawa scored a quick one as a result of him winning a draw..So there is that too..Of course he will have to get stronger ...but remember not eligible till 2020...So there is a lot of development ahead..but considering he has had to adjust to the smaller NA rink,and after a slow start the first 2 games...he has started to emerge already as the star the scouts said he would be .. He was involved in generating several scoring chances that hosxwongersvorcdmen did no t finish off his dishes and also could have converted sone scoring chances
he did get to shoot on net ..he could easily have had 3-4 more points today. .the point bus his speed and instincts generate a lot of chances..and even
liked when conversions von bang bang plays were kicked aside by the opposing goalie he was right after the loose pucks and made another play to dish and set up another attack on net...I also saw him cone back and back-check ..so there is a lot to like already in his game..There is still more development of such a young player ...a lot for him to yet learn but there is a lot to work with here ..Again I prefer Big Centers with talent overcsmurfs. .but I think my eye test and instinct tell me this kid will be a big star despite his size. .1 more thing .....Ottawa outbox respect for its vets did not use him on the PP (which was the 1 aspect of their game that was not great) ..next year or maybe later this season if their PP continues to be mediocre they will give him the chance to pad mire stats with featured PP time..

But as opposed to Jack Hughes who pads a lot via the PP where he excels with more open ice..this Marco Rossi kid is creating good attacks on evens play ..And he will only get better. ..I am excited and will go out to 67's games this season for the first time in many years to see this kid star in person at TD Place arena ..Again I do not like most smurf Centers but this kid is going to change my mind. .He is not the next Denis Savard ...nor is he the blazer of McGod ...but he is very good and very dangerous. ..already ..already his draft year next season we all will be wanting to win a top 3 lotto pick to draft him in 2020 as he will be ripping up the OHL...but I will just enjoy his rookie development this season.. I am sure their will be some down games and more learning curve..but as I say..there is lot to like already with this kid ...

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
HOLY f*** FIDDY.... Is there some sorta online translator tool for this, because yikes.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Apparently our drafter Mikael Hakkarainen has left college after 1GP (Providence ) to return to the USHL with his former team there.(Muskegon)...he is 20 yrs old already.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Fiddy: The game is changing right before our eyes. The NHL is promoting skill, space, and speed over physicality / defense. If you don't believe me, just look at the scoring of the NHL this year. Skilled smurfs can do very well in today's NHL.

It's the reason Bowman drafted Boqvist this summer. He looks promising. Look at Cat. He's thriving in the new NHL. 3 years ago, a lot of scouts thought he was too small to play. This year, very few even mentions his size. Heck, we're more worried about surrounding Hayden and Anisimov with more speed. Saad, even with his good speed, can use more quickness. It looks like Toews changed his training to gain more speed. It's made a huge difference.

The NHL is following the NFL and NBA. They are favoring more skill and speed over size. It's aesthetically pleasing to the fans ... and creates more scoring chances. Space/speed over size/physicality. It's better for TV ratings.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Fiddy: The game is changing right before our eyes. The NHL is promoting skill, space, and speed over physicality / defense. If you don't believe me, just look at the scoring of the NHL this year. Skilled smurfs can do very well in today's NHL.

It's the reason Bowman drafted Boqvist this summer. He looks promising. Look at Cat. He's thriving in the new NHL. 3 years ago, a lot of scouts thought he was too small to play. This year, very few even mentions his size. Heck, we're more worried about surrounding Hayden and Anisimov with more speed. Saad, even with his good speed, can use more quickness. It looks like Toews changed his training to gain more speed. It's made a huge difference.

The NHL is following the NFL and NBA. They are favoring more skill and speed over size. It's aesthetically pleasing to the fans ... and creates more scoring chances. Space/speed over size/physicality. It's better for TV ratings.

HF50 doesn't read, he just types random letters.

Reactions: AmericanDream

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
It's the reason Bowman drafted Boqvist this summer. He looks promising. Look at Cat. He's thriving in the new NHL. 3 years ago, a lot of scouts thought he was too small to play. This year, very few even mentions his size.

It's not the reason, it's a reason. Hardly the primary reason.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It's not the reason, it's a reason. Hardly the primary reason.
Obviously. I would think talent is the #1 reason. It wasn't long ago when many thought Keith was too small to play in the NHL. Boqvist is smaller than Keith.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Obviously. I would think talent is the #1 reason. It wasn't long ago when many thought Keith was too small to play in the NHL. Boqvist is smaller than Keith.

Keith was also drafted in a completely different era of hockey than now. No one, or at least many fewer people would say that about Keith if he were coming up now in today's game.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

another stat i keep looking at and i am assuming that this stat should be kept for those pugilistic fan who loves a good tilt is fighting.

not that many players like those anymore.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Watching Boqvist on tv tonight as Sarnia is playing in London...Score is 5-4 for London after 2 periods.. A scare in the 2nd period as Boqvist was cross -checked latex after taking a shot on goal on the slot ...No penalty was called but there should have been..it was a late very late cross-check...anyway Boqvist got up off the ice indicating a problem with his are or rib
..he went off to the bench in what looked like severe pain...I was hoping nothing got broken as he headed off to the dressing room and did not return for more than 5 minutes ...But he did..

Now asti his game in these first 2 periods. .Sorry to report he was on the vice for 3 of the 4 goals Sarnia scored von London..You could certainly blame him directly for 2v9fvthese...maybe all 3...

The first of these 3 Sarnia goal while Boqvist was on the ice resulted directly from a gaffe he made over-skating g and not collecting a puck that was passed back to him trying to exit the London zone ...Sarnia got control
..kept the puck in the London zone and ultimately fired it home from the slot ...So the Boqvist gaffe caused that goal to happen.

Next on the 3rd goal they scored on a Boqvist shift, he failed to check his man at the crease who scored off a rebound..This clearly was a strength issue..a bigger stronger dman probably does not allow his check to stand there at the crease but either shoves boom out or tiews him up so that he cannot so easilyvshootnin a rebound ..In other words Boqvist gave a feeble attempt to check his man. ..feeble when heis right there non the guys back ..But you cannot expect a surf dman to shove anyone outbox the crease area. .
And this is just in juniors! HE has a long long way to go ..better get a lot stronger or he will never be an NJLER. ..at least on defense.

3rd goal when he was on came after he came back from the capo roxy. 5 minutes spent I the dressing room when it looked like he would be out the rest of the game with an injury from that late cross-check...So they put him back outbox a 4 minute London power play ...London promptly gave up a shorty...but I am not sure if Boqvist was out there bonus that one. .However on the 2nd shorty London gave up on this 4 minute op ,Boqvist was out there..He rushed the puck into the zone..dished them pinched to attack the net..got caught in deep and Sarnia got the puck back and transitioned for a 2 on 1 that they converted on. .So if you deep pivh on a man advantage you risk the 2von1 the bother way if you lose control of the puck ..Boqvist is very aggressive ...going in deep a lot . And he gets caught a lot for this kind of reckless gambling attack..thus time it did resuktni b that shorty against.

And so I gave to blame Boqvist for 3 of the Sarnia 4 goals again st London..

Not sure if he was on for the first Sarnia shorty or caused it if he was on. .Yes he also pulled fans out of their seats with somebody his attacks on met by going in deep..He panted guys twice to shed checkers and drive at the net or get shots coffee. .But again..nothing seems to gaping on these..his cases not converted or are saved ..and his shots are saved or hit defenders and bounce away ...Son he causes excitement and headaches ...Bit nothing seems to result from hiscgoidbplays. .and something bad happens from his bad plays..

I am not making this up. .Justcrepirtingcas I see it and the facts are the facts.

Meanwhile...if you think I am justnot liking another surf. .In contrast I rave again about 2030 draft eligible surf center Marco Rossi. ..another 3 point game 2g 1a for Ottawa tonight in their win tonight ..This Austrian kid just has tremendous hockey sense ..knows where to go and be in position on to score ..and he finishes and also nice dishes..love the way he pulls pucks off the boards and makes plays for scoring chances off that ...tracks loose pucks...he will go very high in the 2020 draft.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Final score London 7 Sania 6 in OT ...Now bist ended with 1 assist ...Still no goals...He has 3cpiints ...all assists ...in 5 GP...rather disappointing..

I did not see the last 2 Sania goals so I cannot say if Boqvist was on for those goals against. .but as I posted above he was on for 3 of the prior 4 Sania goals and was the real cause for 2 of them and you could also blame his lack of strength as allowing the 3rd of these goals against

In my opinion. .not a good night for Adam Boqvist ...he had a long long way to improve to be an NHL player ..and I keep waiting for that shot of his to manifest in goals...so far ..not beating goalies with it ..And this is just juniors! WE thought his shot was a fifference-maker ..but so far zippy. ..Tonight he had a direct slot shot from about 6 feet out that somehow he shoots into a dman's skate defending his own net with back turned..Should have easilynparkedxacgoal. .but showing Saad syndrome ...already !

Meanwhile I an impressed with surf Centre Marco Rossi the Austrian OHL rookie for Ottawa ..who is piling up points and goals in his rookie campaign in the OHL ..Loving the skill and instincts and competence of Rossi. If we must draft a Stan surf again in 2020 ...then we had better get a lottery pick to get a chance at him. He is already starting gvto tear up the OHL and by next season will be lighting it up even more ..A can't miss talent ..

Meanwhile Boqvist who should be dominating given his 8th overall pick this past draft ..is hardly difference-making at all ...and frankly has been very suspect defensively ...surprising and disappointing so far even if "flashes: of excitement ..but they always seem to go poof...but no scoring result..Just nothing starry or special so far at all from him.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Jake Wise ...no points...no shots on goal tonight in the BU loss to Minnesota State...

Noticed that Chad Keys not in the BU lineup tonight...did he get injured ?Anyone know?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Jake Wise ...no points...no shots on goal tonight in the BU loss to Minnesota State...

Noticed that Chad Keys not in the BU lineup tonight...did he get injured ?Anyone know?
Joel Farabee and Oliver Wahlstrom nothing either in their debuts...college hockey folks, the kids don't run the asylum right away...and the team Captain Krys did not play looks like illness.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
After reading fiddy's less than complimentary report on Boqvist and how bad he was defensively I thought I'd go check the season stats. Before the game against Sarnia tonight, Boqvist had 2 assists in 4 games and was a -2. After the Sarnia game he now has 3 assists and is still a -2. But ... wait a minute ... how can he still be a -2 when he almost single handedly blew the game for London tonight? I expected to see Boqvist was now a -5 or -6 ... so I was perplexed to see his plus/minus rating was unchanged. Hmmm ... am I correct in concluding Boqvist must have been on the ice for some of the goals London scored over and above the one he assisted on? Gee, fiddy didn't mention that so maybe I'm not understanding this correctly?

Reactions: migi and Kurtosis

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Video of Ian Mitchell's goal.

Edit: just looking at stats last year, Mitchell had 30pts in 41 games in his rookie season in the NCAA, but only two goals. So getting his first goal of his sophomore season in his first game is doing great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad