Speculation: All Purpose Pierre-Luc Dubois Discussion 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Very similar to the Turris situation when he didn't like how he was being utilized in Arizona. Held out on his contract, didnt like how the coach (Tippett) treated him, asked for a trade and then played so poorly the Coyotes traded him for just a prospect and a 2nd round pick.

Dubois is waaaaay more accomplished at this stage than Turris was so the return wont be that poor. Sucks for Columbus. Small market teams are at a large disadvantage and this kind of thing can really hurt the team.

Hope they do great in the trade (unless "MY" team gets him).

Reactions: _Del_

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
When it comes to wingers, we don't need "good". We have plenty of "good". We need "superstar".

i don’t know what it would cost or how it would happen but toffoli is lighting the lamp often.

Columbus was in on him as a UFA.

Columbus should try to do what they can to get TT + KK for PLD and some magic beans

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
PLD is better in every category, and is significantly younger with more control.

If PLD can match Kadri's ppg @ 22 facing tougher competition, imagine what he could do playing with that offensively dominant Avs team. The changes in coaching and teammates are an incredible upgrade if you are focused on offensive numbers.

Saying this is a marginal upgrade is akin to saying replacing EJ with Heiskanen is a marginal upgrade because of traditional stat comparisons. It ignores age, opportunity, control.

Control bad word to use after his performance.

I rather have my players try too hard than too little. Kadri is good example.

Reactions: Sens9292

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
When it comes to wingers, we don't need "good". We have plenty of "good". We need "superstar".

Laine. JK should try to pray him outta Winnipeg. Then 2022 summer sign Barkov as a UFA. There is your rebuild.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
PLD is better in every category, and is significantly younger with more control.

If PLD can match Kadri's ppg @ 22 facing tougher competition, imagine what he could do playing with that offensively dominant Avs team. The changes in coaching and teammates are an incredible upgrade if you are focused on offensive numbers.

Saying this is a marginal upgrade is akin to saying replacing EJ with Heiskanen is a marginal upgrade because of traditional stat comparisons. It ignores age, opportunity, control.
The comparison with EJ is nonsensical. Kadri is in prime, EJ is on his last legs. PLD didn't play with markedly worse players than Kadri. As for control, they both can't be kept longer than two seasons on the Avs and the Avs want to win in those two years - meaning PLD's potential down the road means little - and then need an influx of cheap young talent down the line. So yeah, he is a marginal upgrade and a gamble of replacing a guy who fits like a glove for a quitter, while also giving up a potential top line forward in Newhook.

PS

I'd also like to know in what world is he a better goal scorer than Kadri.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Vincent Trocheck + Ryan Suzuki + 2021 1st

Martin Necas + Jack Drury + Nino Niederreiter

Doubt Columbus would want to deal with Carolina though.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
How many teams and what teams is Dubois willing to actually play for and be happy?

The kid doesn’t have a limited NTC, but with his behavior he’s basically granted himself one. No team who he truly doesn’t want to play for is going to touch him now.

Id imagine Rangers and Habs definitely have to be in there. Maybe LA? All 3 teams there have the assets to make it work

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
It’s completely unprofessional, and he deserves to be criticized for that. But ultimately, players have very little control over the team they get to play for. So when they begin feeling leverage in getting themselves into the position they want to, I can’t blame them for doing so.

PLD acting like a child means he’ll get two things...
- Traded faster
- Teams he doesn’t truly want to play for will drop out of trade talks

Right or wrong, that’s an ideal scenario for him.

If I'm Montreal and PLD plays like that for ten games, why am I going to entertain offers involving Suzuki or Kotkaniemi? My first thought if I were Bergevin is "What if he dislikes Julien and starts acting that way here?" The best thing PLD can do is play better to encourage teams to give up value for his services.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
i don’t know what it would cost or how it would happen but toffoli is lighting the lamp often.

Columbus was in on him as a UFA.

Columbus should try to do what they can to get TT + KK for PLD and some magic beans
Didn't Columbus court mitch marner

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Laine. JK should try to pray him outta Winnipeg. Then 2022 summer sign Barkov as a UFA. There is your rebuild.
I always love these kind of posts. So much needs to happen for elite players to reach UFA then just assuming they are going to sign with a certain team.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
If I'm Montreal and PLD plays like that for ten games, why am I going to entertain offers involving Suzuki or Kotkaniemi? My first thought if I were Bergevin is "What if he dislikes Julien and starts acting that way here?" The best thing PLD can do is play better to encourage teams to give up value for his services.
Fair point. For that reason, I wonder if Columbus will allow PLD and/or his agent to speak with other teams prior to a trade. It would actually help Columbus considerably if PLD can keep his value high by ensuring teams that his current behavior and play doesn't happen wherever he lands.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Probably going to drop his value a bit but he'll still get a good return. I'm hoping the Sharks deal Labanc, Gambrell, and a pick for him.

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
:biglaugh:
rotflmao.gif

Do you have any idea whatsoever how Foligno is perceived in this town? How often he's seen? How much he shows up, especially as compared to Tortorella? He is the single most visible member of the Blue Jackets. Ahead of any front office personnel and ahead of any of his teammates.

Wow, did I badly need that laugh. :D

Not to mention he wasn’t even named captain under Torts.

Reactions: Viqsi

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
I still think PLD will get a "good" return, but it seems like many are expecting a "great" return and the offers thrown out there that are summarily dismissed as not good enough are a little surprising.

If your response to almost every single offer is that it's not good enough, it might be time to think that your perception is the one that needs to be adjusted.

Reactions: 57special
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad