Speculation: All Purpose Pierre-Luc Dubois Discussion 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
To Ottawa: Pierre-Luc Dubois

To Columbus: Josh Norris, Erik Brannstrom, 2021 1st round pick (top 3 protected)

This depends on if PLD is willing to sign long term in Ottawa ofc

Josh Norris is currently playing top 6 minutes for Ottawa and has been decent to start the season (2 assists in 2 games). He put up 61 points in 56 games last season and won AHL rookie of the year as a 20 year old. He is NHL ready and has 1st line center potential. He was the main piece (at the time) in the Erik Karlsson trade.

Erik Brannstrom is one of the best D prospects in the league. He captained Sweden at the WJC in 2019, and was named to the all star team. He put up 23 points in 27 games as a 20 year old in the AHL. He has top pairing potential and was the main piece in the Mark Stone trade.

I would expect the 1st round pick to be around 7 to 14.

Reactions: NB613

YanniPodz

Jan 17, 2021
if PLD is going to sign long term in Ottawa then the sens add more, like Batheson

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
if PLD is going to sign long term in Ottawa then the sens add more, like Batheson

Batherson is trending like Mark Stone in Ottawa. You are underrating Batherson when you mention him as an add. If he was traded, he will be the foundational piece along with a top-3 protected pick plus another prospect.

However, Ottawa realistically has no chance of matching an offer from a team like Montreal. Jarmo is supposedly also asking for a proven centre back, which Ottawa cannot provide either. So I don't think Ottawa is a player for PLD, unfortunately.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars

Batherson is more valuable than both Norris and Brannstrom. He's trending towards a 60+ point first line right winger. Might be in place of either but not with I would imagine.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
CBJ will want more, but I think the value is there.

The problem is that CBJ wants to compete, not rebuild.

Trading PLD for players that can help in 2-3 years, doesn’t align with what they are aiming for right now.

Reactions: NB613

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I think people are going to be surprised by what the trade ends up being. Nothing against PLD, it just always seems less in the end for most of these trades.

I don’t mean it’s gonna be a 2nd a b prospect. Just don’t see it being a first and two top prospects

Look at the Seguin deal, there wasn’t even a pick in the deal

I may very well be wrong, just majority of the time people are always asking “who” for at least one of the players in the deal

Reactions: Grabner

YanniPodz

Jan 17, 2021
I think people are going to be surprised by what the trade ends up being. Nothing against PLD, it just always seems less in the end for most of these trades.

I don’t mean it’s gonna be a 2nd a b prospect. Just don’t see it being a first and two top prospects

I may very well be wrong, just majority of the time people are always asking “who” for at least one of the players in the deal

Seguin also went for an established 70+ point player...

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Apologies, I haven’t paid attention to any of the threads. What is CBJ looking for?

Bluejackets fans want a young center, the age, size, skill level and NHL pedigree with the same NHL experience as PLD. They just want said player to like playing for Torts and living in Ohio.

Should be a totally easy match for someone and it totally makes sense for a team with that player to deal for an unhappier version.

Last edited:

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Seguin also went for an established 70+ point player...

yeah sorry didn’t mean it was a bad trade, and there was also Reilly Smith, but at the time of someone said,

Seguin and Peverly for Loui, Smith, J Morrow and that other AHler

I don’t think a lot of people would have liked that deal. You know HFB, gotta include a first and a top prospect

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
The 2yr deal really hurts PLDs value to Ottawa imo. After the Duchene era, trading for another top C with 2 years who seems to want to choose where he plays, is a bad idea. If he could have committed to a 7yr extension with Ottawa pre-trade, then yeah I'd be all for it.

Giving up guys like Norris or Batherson for PLD to bail in 2 years is a bird brain move.

YanniPodz

Jan 17, 2021
The 2yr deal really hurts PLDs value to Ottawa imo. After the Duchene era, trading for another top C with 2 years who seems to want to choose where he plays, is a bad idea. If he could have committed to a 7yr extension with Ottawa pre-trade, then yeah I'd be all for it.

Giving up guys like Norris or Batherson for PLD to bail in 2 years is a bird brain move.

PLD has 2 more years of RFA status after the current deal.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Bigger problem is no one wants to go to Ottawa by choice. If the Sens pony up the assets to trade there’s no guarantee PLD chooses to sign long term there. Plus their owner is cheap and has a habit of not paying his top players. That’s why they are traded for futures and leave via FA

Reactions: RicoxSuave

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Bigger problem is no one wants to go to Ottawa by choice. If the Sens pony up the assets to trade there’s no guarantee PLD chooses to sign long term there. Plus their owner is cheap and has a habit of not paying his top players. That’s why they are traded for futures and leave via FA

It seems like are a lot of undesirable NHL cities.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Seguin wasnt a futures deal though..Boston got a (supposed to be) 1st line W, another top 9W, and two prospects with one being a former 1st round pick

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Bluejackets fans want a young center, the age, size, skill level and NHL pedigree with the same NHL experience as PLD. They just want said player to like playing for

Should be a totally easy match for someone and it totally makes sense for a team with that player to deal for an unhappier version.
Bluejackets fans want a young center, the age, size, skill level and NHL pedigree with the same NHL experience as PLD. They just want said player to like playing for Torts and living in Ohio.

They might get a young center prospect as part of a package. Such as KK or a Chytil but no contending team team is going to give up a player similar to PLD in trade. They will give multiple assets. Some may turn out to be as good as PLD, maybe even better. Some may not. But CBJ will have multiple assets with control.
I understand he is CBJ’s 1st line center, however odds are the teams looking to trade for him will probably have him as their 2C. I understand he is hard to replace but that’s not how these kinds of trades work when a player asks out. It takes a lot of leverage away from the GM trading him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->