Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | This wasn't what I meant by a balanced defense ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Third line has a goal 2 games in a row now, right? I think McCann is going to be a really good pickup for us.

I like what I've seen from McCann so far but he doesn't have the track record I want for 3C - a pretty significant role - on a contender. Seriously, the guy was playing 4th line on the Panthers all season long and has literally never played a single playoff game.

This is the guy we're making the fulcrum of our 3rd line and the key to making Kessel work away from Geno? That's a lot to expect in a short period of time despite very little experience, and we're counting on it working (barring another trade).

Maybe it works, but it reeks of a "Hail Mary" throw at a position where I'd want a dependable performer.

Islanders: Split 2-1-1
Washingtion: Lead 2-1
Columbus: Lead 1-0
Tampa: down 1-2
Toronto: down 1-2
Montreal: down 0-1-1
Boston: Split 1-0-1

Against the west we are down 0-1 to the Sharks, Split 1-1 with Vegas, and are leading every other western playoff team.

So it's not amazing against the east, but it's very good vs the west. And overall we're still 8-7-3 against the eastern playoff teams. Not ideal, but we're certainly competitive with those teams.

Yeah that's about what I expected. Our record against good teams seems to be about the same as it is against bad teams, right? It all adds up to us being a bubble playoff team as currently constituted.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'll add that I don't necessarily think we need to add an established 3C to compete this year. But we do need to make a major acquisition in one of our areas of need - there are just too many holes in this boat right now. It ain't gonna float too long.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Is the team practicing today?

Read that they're off today.
Mackey talked to a source that said Bjugs is fine and will play @ PHI.

Look at that drop...

DzEMzBOV4AEDJUJ.jpg

Things have gone from Meh, they'll still make it to...hmm, i dunnooooo...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I like what I've seen from McCann so far but he doesn't have the track record I want for 3C - a pretty significant role - on a contender. Seriously, the guy was playing 4th line on the Panthers all season long and has literally never played a single playoff game.

This is the guy we're making the fulcrum of our 3rd line and the key to making Kessel work away from Geno? That's a lot to expect in a short period of time despite very little experience, and we're counting on it working (barring another trade).

Maybe it works, but it reeks of a "Hail Mary" throw at a position where I'd want a dependable performer.
well, him or Bjugstad if he doesn't work out. Though I am really happy with what I've seen from McCann so far.

I also want to add that I think Blueger can take on a bigger role than we've given him and be successful. I think that could be a mid-season boost that we added for free if we use him well.

Reactions: LittleSpoon

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah that's about what I expected. Our record against good teams seems to be about the same as it is against bad teams, right? It all adds up to us being a bubble playoff team as currently constituted.
Like I've said, I'm not trying to call us a favorite. I'm saying we can compete. Regardless of any other moves, I think the biggest question is Geno. If he bounces back to even close to his normal form, we're suddenly a MUCH better team. I do think we may need to give him a better wing combo to make that happen. But I also think Blueger or Rust at LW ( lol ) could be enough.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
Like I've said, I'm not trying to call us a favorite. I'm saying we can compete. Regardless of any other moves, I think the biggest question is Geno. If he bounces back to even close to his normal form, we're suddenly a MUCH better team. I do think we may need to give him a better wing combo to make that happen. But I also think Blueger or Rust at LW ( lol ) could be enough.
It’s why I’m optimistic about how this season will end. Bluegs, McCann, and Jugs have the jump. And two of the three are scoring right now. Healthy Malkin and Schultz just adds (most likely) more points, and all the sudden things aren’t so gloom. If we could get out from JJ any way possible, we probably really turn some heads, but if not...things are still doable.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
well, him or Bjugstad if he doesn't work out. Though I am really happy with what I've seen from McCann so far.

I also want to add that I think Blueger can take on a bigger role than we've given him and be successful. I think that could be a mid-season boost that we added for free if we use him well.

Yeah I mean, McCann and Blueger have both looked solid over the last few games - my problem is that that's all we've got to base it on. And Bjugstad is whatever. Says a lot that he's not even considered a de facto center while Malkin's injured.

It seems like "ifs" and "coulds" apply to too much of the roster.

Maybe it's just a wave of pessimism hitting me after this bad stretch of games, but putting so much faith in question marks after an uninspiring regular season seems like a good recipe for a second straight early exit. These are the years the Pens really have to go for it and I don't think they should go into the playoffs with so many glaring holes while they still have good futures to use.

giphy.gif

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Pens need to go 18-8-1 over the next 27 games to hit 100 pts. Not saying that's the cliff, but it might be nice to not barely make it in the playoffs.

Need to start winning sooner than later.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We have a 1st line that can go up against anyone. They kept Kucherov quiet for the second game in a row. Along with a dominant 1st pair.

I think we have the pieces to make a great 4th line and a competent third line.

After that I don't know what this team is.

Schultz and Malkin will need to earn their paychecks when they're back. Having another offensive D-man behind Malkin should get him going. The bar is pretty low for our second pair so maybe that helps Schultz get back to form.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We have a 1st line that can go up against anyone. They kept Kucherov quiet for the second game in a row. Along with a dominant 1st pair.

Schultz and Malkin will need to earn their paychecks when they're back. Having another offensive D-man behind Malkin should get him going. The bar is pretty low for our second pair so maybe that helps Schultz get back to form.

"On paper" there should be absolutely nothing wrong with our forwards. Theoretically it should be one of the best forward groups in the league. For whatever reason, though, while the individual pieces are good, they don't seem to have much chemistry aside from Sid/Jake.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Rust - Malkin - Bjugstad
Pearson - McCann - Kessel
Blueger - Cullen - Simon/ZAR

Mix and match where necessary, but that's enough pieces that every line *should* be good. Yet apart from Crosby/Guentzel and some promising play from Blueger/Cullen, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of clicking going on.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
"On paper" there should be absolutely nothing wrong with our forwards. Theoretically it should be one of the best forward groups in the league. For whatever reason, though, while the individual pieces are good, they don't seem to have much chemistry aside from Sid/Jake.

Rust - Malkin - Bjugstad

Mix and match where necessary, but that's enough pieces that every line *should* be good. Yet apart from Crosby/Guentzel and some promising play from Blueger/Cullen, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of clicking going on.
we have some Ok players but we are missing ingredients for good four-line offense....each line in order to work must be built around the best player on that line and fill the missing ingredients...case in point, fourth line looks very good eversince we added speed and tenacity of Blueger, all of a sudden Wilson of all people looks competent, cause now the defense has fewer choices trhanks to Blugs ability to cobver space and people allowing Wilson to throw timely check not one after the puck is long gone...
So first line thanks to Sid and Jake being really good in keeping the puck on teh stick can use different kind of third wheels...
Geno is not Sid...he needs different wingers...if he is anchored with Phil on right wing there is only one person that can only help now on lW and thats Rust,
I have zero idea what could work on that third line, McKann is not yet third line center...maybe next year but not yet..

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I'm surprised that the tone tends to be that McCann is going to be the 3C when everyone is healthy, not Bjugstad. I feel like Bjugstad should definitely stick at center, but it seems like the Penguins may not agree.

That's been a fairly steady message. Not sure I agree, but if they feel that's where Bjugstad is best (wing) then it makes sense.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's been a fairly steady message. Not sure I agree, but if they feel that's where Bjugstad is best (wing) then it makes sense.

I think McCann is basically everything I liked about Sutter without everything I hated. But, he certainly plays a very similar game that I could see frustrate people.

Kid has a hell of a wrister though.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah I mean, McCann and Blueger have both looked solid over the last few games - my problem is that that's all we've got to base it on. And Bjugstad is whatever. Says a lot that he's not even considered a de facto center while Malkin's injured.
I mean...he's a wing.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ok I just got in to checking stuff out around the league for the day...

Biggest questions for tomorrow are:
1. Is Malkin playing?
2. Is Murray playing?
3. Is Schultz playing?

I'm fully expecting an emotional game against philly and think it will get ugly out there when either side boils over.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Our 1st line can go up against anyone when they get Letang for most of the game. When they have to assume Malkin's job of being stuck more regularly with Jack Johnson and Olli Maatta, it's a different story.

In the 4 games against playoff teams or teams with playoff aspirations since the Ottawa game without Geno, Sid has 1 assist at ES and is a -5.

we have some Ok players but we are missing ingredients for good four-line offense....each line in order to work must be built around the best player on that line and fill the missing ingredients...case in point, fourth line looks very good eversince we added speed and tenacity of Blueger, all of a sudden Wilson of all people looks competent, cause now the defense has fewer choices trhanks to Blugs ability to cobver space and people allowing Wilson to throw timely check not one after the puck is long gone...
So first line thanks to Sid and Jake being really good in keeping the puck on teh stick can use different kind of third wheels...
Geno is not Sid...he needs different wingers...if he is anchored with Phil on right wing there is only one person that can only help now on lW and thats Rust,
I have zero idea what could work on that third line, McKann is not yet third line center...maybe next year but not yet..

Forget the wingers. The issue is that we have 1 good defenseman who can move the puck, and Sid gets him. IF that's going to be the game-- and IF, as expected, Sully neutralizes Schultz with Johnson or Maatta-- THEN the wingers matters and THEN Rust on Geno's LW is a must. But, apparently Sid gets him too. :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Our 1st line can go up against anyone when they get Letang for most of the game. When they have to assume Malkin's job of being stuck more regularly with Jack Johnson and Olli Maatta, it's a different story.

In the 4 games against playoff teams or teams with playoff aspirations since the Ottawa game without Geno, Sid has 1 assist at ES and is a -5.

Forget the wingers. The issue is that we have 1 good defenseman who can move the puck, and Sid gets him. IF that's going to be the game-- and IF, as expected, Sully neutralizes Schultz with Johnson or Maatta-- THEN the wingers matters and THEN Rust on Geno's LW is a must. But, apparently Sid gets him too. :laugh:

RW had a good suggestion for D pairings...based on the numbers with and without, he thought Letang could carry anyone and Dumo would be nearly as fine with Schultz (post injury who knows)...anyway, suggested top two pairings:
Maatta Letang
Dumo Schultz

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Rust - Malkin - Bjugstad

Far too much juggling. It's how you deter chemistry. If the team kept players together the way they keep Jake attached to Sid's hip, we might see some better chemistry through the roster.

But as it stands, the only mainstays are the 1st line duo and the 4th line guys. The rest is just, throw shit on the wall and see what sticks.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Far too much juggling. It's how you deter chemistry. If the team kept players together the way they keep Jake attached to Sid's hip, we might see some better chemistry through the roster.

But as it stands, the only mainstays are the 1st line duo and the 4th line guys. The rest is just, throw **** on the wall and see what sticks.

Yeah, one of my complaints about Sullivan is him not giving new line combinations enough time to develop any sort of chemistry if they're not immediately lights out. The fact he ended the Bjugstad on Crosby/Guentzel's line after 2 periods is an example of that. Sometimes continuity is better than just switching things up after 2 lackluster periods of hockey.

Honestly, I wish he'd just set the 4 lines and stick with them for at least a 5-game stretch to see what develops, then re-evaluate after that and mix up what didn't work over the 5-games.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, one of my complaints about Sullivan is him not giving new line combinations enough time to develop any sort of chemistry if they're not immediately lights out. The fact he ended the Bjugstad on Crosby/Guentzel's line after 2 periods is an example of that. Sometimes continuity is better than just switching things up after 2 lackluster periods of hockey.

Honestly, I wish he'd just set the 4 lines and stick with them for at least a 5-game stretch to see what develops, then re-evaluate after that and mix up what didn't work over the 5-games.
EXACTLY!

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
And overall we're still 8-7-3 against the eastern playoff teams. Not ideal, but we're certainly competitive with those teams.

I know it's not "fair" but the Pens are 8-10 against east playoff teams. There's no good to come from losing in OT in playoffs, so gotta count those as losses.

And when you do...they have enough losses they don't make it out of round two, maybe even round one. Which is exactly how the team will do if they make playoffs...

Yup. No issue with changing lines, but give it a couple games (or even periods).

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just don't see this team, this current group, being mentally tough enough to go through a battle in the playoffs. Like if a Zar vs Wilson type of incident happened again, I think this team would implode like the Pens vs Flyers of a few years ago where Sid even flat out admitted he didn't like the Flyers.

This doesn't feel like a strong group right now. Hasn't to me, all season.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I know it's not "fair" but the Pens are 8-10 against east playoff teams. There's no good to come from losing in OT in playoffs, so gotta count those as losses.

And when you do...they have enough losses they don't make it out of round two, maybe even round one. Which is exactly how the team will do if they make playoffs...
Well there's no 3v3 or shootouts in the playoffs either.

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad