Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | This wasn't what I meant by a balanced defense ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Every year there's a trash 4th liner the team gets obsessed with. Remember Porter and his 3 points in 40 games? Had to take a leg injury for him not to play. The fact that they could be benching a 40 point scorer for a guy that has 1 goal in 60 games is asinine.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The real issue with Pearson being scratched is he does everything Wilson does defensively better aside from “big hits” and “fighting”.

Also, interesting that Ruh gets the vote over Riikola.

Well. As a coach you wanna reward a guy for playing so well after 50 games. I get why he's playing again. Deserves it.

JJ not so much

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Ruh's right handedness means he's in until he screws up. Surprising that him being out lasted so long tbh.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm getting really sick of Sullivan's love affair with Garret Wilson. It's idiotic at this point.

The Johnson in, Riikola out thing doesn't surprise me, either.

This is why I'm worried about what moves JR will make at the deadline. This organization doesn't even seem to recognize what it's weaknesses are.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Its a good sign atleast that Blueger is playing over guys like Simon and Pearson. Seems like hes here to stay.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Every year there's a trash 4th liner the team gets obsessed with. Remember Porter and his 3 points in 40 games? Had to take a leg injury for him not to play. The fact that they could be benching a 40 point scorer for a guy that has 1 goal in 60 games is asinine.

If you put Pearson on the 4th line i bet its going to be the Brass situation all over again.

He probably isn't going to embrace being a 4th liner and he will probably be terrible on the 4th line.

You need players on the 4th line that can accept that role.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
If you put Pearson on the 4th line i bet its going to be the Brass situation all over again.

He probably isn't going to embrace being a 4th liner and he will probably be terrible on the 4th line.

You need players on the 4th line that can accept that role.
I don't mind it. Accountability for playing like trash for too long. This team has to have high standards if it wants to go anywhere.

Unfortunately they don't seem to care when it comes to the blue line though. As proof, Johnson is playing tomorrow with Schultz returning. Plus they're paired together? What a braindead decision. Come the f*** on Sullivan....

This is the worst possible way to inject Schultz back into the lineup. He should be with Dumoulin or Letang until he feels more comfortable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@KIRK has been telling everyone this would happen for a while now ...

I'd like to say I'm prophetic, but even this guy could've seen it coming . . .

giphy.gif

Reactions: DegenX

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Man... JJ not getting a seat. Yeesh. Not shocking in the slightest but good lord.

I actually am more angry at Wilson being up at the NHL level. It is f***ing insanity. Stupid. This dime/dozen plugger just keeps getting NHL time for no reason. ZAR is at least a 4th line NHLer. It is insane how many NHL coaches rely on these guys and then we wonder why the average life of an NHL coach is 3 years.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If anything, Petts deserves to be a scratch over Riikola...

No he doesn't.

Man... JJ not getting a seat. Yeesh. Not shocking in the slightest but good lord.

I know this isn't the reason he's not being scratched, but I'm curious to see if they want to see how he does with an actually good puck mover. It wouldn't surprise me if they thought he has struggled because of not having a good puck mover on his pair.

In reality, I'm not even sure they think Johnson has struggled this year, which is just crazy to me.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I actually am more angry at Wilson being up at the NHL level. It is ****ing insanity. Stupid. This dime/dozen plugger just keeps getting NHL time for no reason. ZAR is at least a 4th line NHLer. It is insane how many NHL coaches rely on these guys and then we wonder why the average life of an NHL coach is 3 years.

No reason?

The 5th highest GF% and 2nd highest HDCF% off of the 2nd worse zone starts isn't a reason?

I don't particularly care for the guy as a player either, but you can't see a reason that an NHL coach might keep playing him?

It was notable how many posters here were bemoaning the lack of accountability earlier in the season. Now that the coach is rewarding the guy who keeps performing even if it means benching guys with decent contracts, he's insane? That's pretty inconsistent.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I mean look at Geno. In a real league that’d be a twenty game suspension.
Or if he had connected and his name was van Riemsdyke he would have only got a $5000 fine. Or if his name was McDavid and he cross checked someone in the face, the refs wouldn't have even blown the whistle. It really all comes down to the refs actually calling the game by the book, then crap like this doesn't happen. But we all know that the refs call a much looser game in the playoffs, which I don't really mind in the playoffs. However it is February and they should be calling the game by the book.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Can you even imagine being off for 4 months and then having to contend with Jack Johnson as your partner in your first game back?

Might as well hook JJ's car up to Schultz and make him pull it to and from the game too.

I'd argue a literal 1 shoulder'd Maata is a better partner over JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad