Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | This wasn't what I meant by a balanced defense ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregR

Mar 4, 2002
The Pearson-Hagelin trade is another woefully bad move by JR this season. Hagelin isn't a great player by any means, but if you're going to have that spot be filled by someone who isn't going to put up a ton of points, at least he has a tangible value, his speed. He also kills penalties and was still putting up strong advanced metrics.

Now you're saddled with a guy with two more years at $3.75 million who can't even stay in the lineup over Garrett Wilson, whereas Hagelin is a UFA at the end of the year, and if they wanted to move on, they could have.

Reactions: PensandCaps

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
The Pearson-Hagelin trade is another woefully bad move by JR this season. Hagelin isn't a great player by any means, but if you're going to have that spot be filled by someone who isn't going to put up a ton of points, at least he has a tangible value, his speed. He also kills penalties and was still putting up strong advanced metrics.

Now you're saddled with a guy with two more years at $3.75 million who can't even stay in the lineup over Garrett Wilson, whereas Hagelin is a UFA at the end of the year, and if they wanted to move on, they could have.

In hindsight probably
If we could have a re-do, the McCann/Bjustad trade should have happened first. Perhaps Hags would have jelled a bit more with some new guys?

Reactions: Shady Machine

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I can't argue with keeping Ruh in. I hate the Schultz Johnson pair. I hope they prove me wrong.

I'm glad Teddy is still in but I can't justify sitting ZAR or Pearson for Wilson. A struggling Pearson and ZAR are better players. I don't think Wilson has been bad, but this is clearly some kind of coaching mancrush. That said, if a 4th line wing is my only complaint and Teddy is staying in, I'll take it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I can't argue with keeping Ruh in. I hate the Schultz Johnson pair. I hope they prove me wrong.

I'm glad Teddy is still in but I can't justify sitting ZAR or Pearson for Wilson. A struggling Pearson and ZAR are better players. I don't think Wilson has been bad, but this is clearly some kind of coaching mancrush. That said, if a 4th line wing is my only complaint and Teddy is staying in, I'll take it.

In terms of form, Wilson is the definite legit winner.

But in terms of thinking long term, Pearson and ZAR are guys to give game time to, gee them up.

Looking at the table I guess I won't blame Sully for thinking more about form. Assuming he's thinking the same as me. Maybe he isn't.

Should keep the energy levels high if everyone's worried about getting scratched though.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I hope the pairing is at least Johnson-Schultz and not Schultz-Johnson.

Either way it's absurd though. Ugh Jack Johnson, the gift that keeps on giving.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pearson probably deserves to sit, but unfortunately Wilson has a guaranteed spot now.

Pearson Cullen ZAR would make for a pretty damn good fourth line.

It’s frightening that Wilson probably won’t be taken out of the lineup.

He may be slumping right now, but I like the chances of a former champion that’s shown a goal scoring touch and nice playmaking, over a rock handed guy with one career goal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Johnson-Schultz is probably the most effective pair you can use JJ on if he is actually playing, so I'm actually fine with that pair. I'm just a little surprised that they're scratching Riikola for Ruhwedel, I know Ruhwedel was really good last game, but Riikola has been playing well recently.

I'm also not a fan of healthy scratching Pearson, you need to move him ASAP if he's falling out of the lineup. You don't want to be stuck with that contract if he's ending up in healthy scratch territory.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

He may be slumping right now, but I like the chances of a former champion that’s shown a goal scoring touch and nice playmaking, over a rock handed guy with one career goal.

Exactly. Idc how good wilson or how bad Pearson is playing.

Pearson has multiple 40 point seasons under his belt.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

For sure. I don't have an issue with sitting Pearson for a game or two, but it's frightening that Wilson gets a spot. He's Gladams redux.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Johnson-Schultz is probably the most effective pair you can use JJ on if he is actually playing, so I'm actually fine with that pair. I'm just a little surprised that they're scratching Riikola for Ruhwedel, I know Ruhwedel was really good last game, but Riikola has been playing well recently.

I'm also not a fan of healthy scratching Pearson, you need to move him ASAP if he's falling out of the lineup. You don't want to be stuck with that contract if he's ending up in healthy scratch territory.

Schultz is coming back from a major injury. Why put him with an anchor? Clearly Schultz is your number 3 and putting Johnson with him suggests that's the 2nd pairing. I don't want Johnson playing over 15 minutes.

My only hope is they are easing him back in the lineup and will pair him with MP once they want to give him more minutes. But does anyone actually believe MP-Ruh will get more time than Schultz-JJ?

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Jack Johnson in over Juuso Riikola brings me an irrationally high amount of anger
Get used to it. The Pens coaches and FO like his physicality and PK ability. Especially with Maatta, one of our stalwarts on the PK, out of the lineup we will be dressing JMFJ regularly.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY

4th line could even be Pearson Cullen Simon. That's a pretty good 4th as well. Cycle ZAR and Simon to keep them fresh and playing.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad