Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | Ruhwedel to W-B/S for Conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
If Sid stays healthy the rest of the way he's on pace for exactly 37 goals and 100 points in 79 games. Would be really cool if he gets back to the 100 point plateau.

Phil is on pace for 88 points in 82 games
Geno is on pace for 86 points in 82 games
Guentzel is on pace for 73 points in 82 games
Letang is on pace for 66 points in 80 games
Hornqvist is on pace for 53 points in 73 games

Of course, this is assuming they stay healthy the rest of the way.

Reactions: ColePens and BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
If Sid stays healthy the rest of the way he's on pace for exactly 37 goals and 100 points in 79 games. Would be really cool if he gets back to this 100 point plateau.

Phil is on pace for 88 points in 82 games
Geno is on pace for 86 points in 82 games
Guentzel is on pace for 73 points in 82 games
Letang is on pace for 66 points in 80 games
Hornqvist is on pace for 53 points in 73 games

What a time to be alive.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
All of that and the vibe I get around the league is that we are just that dark horse team on the decline as we get older. In my opinion there are 3 things that have to happen to have a legit chance at Lord Stanley.

1) Goalies have to keep up this recent work rate. DeSmith and Murray are actually competing in a good way and if they can both do that, we should win a lot of games. It won't be perfect, but they have to keep this work rate up.

2) We have to dodge injuries. Obvious one.

3) The defense has to be figured out. Oleksiak cannot play over Pets or Riikola. We cannot play Oleksiak/Maatta/JJ every night. It needs figured out.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
All of that and the vibe I get around the league is that we are just that dark horse team on the decline as we get older. In my opinion there are 3 things that have to happen to have a legit chance at Lord Stanley.

1) Goalies have to keep up this recent work rate. DeSmith and Murray are actually competing in a good way and if they can both do that, we should win a lot of games. It won't be perfect, but they have to keep this work rate up.

3) The defense has to be figured out. Oleksiak cannot play over Pets or Riikola. We cannot play Oleksiak/Maatta/JJ every night. It needs figured out.

Number 3 should be pretty straight forward. Just move Oleksiak. Add a draft pick (or whatever) and go after a LW. The right LW might square up the winger mix we have.

Seems like it’s some what similar to the Reaves situation. JR wants that fighter. Sully cuts his minutes more than any other D generally so I don’t think he’d care.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Number 3 should be pretty straight forward. Just move Oleksiak. Add a draft pick (or whatever) and go after a LW. The right LW might square up the winger mix we have.

Seems like it’s some what similar to the Reaves situation. JR wants that fighter. Sully cuts his minutes more than any other D generally so I don’t think he’d care.
JR wanting a fighter seems to be true. Not sure if JJ can throw them, he seems pretty tough but I’d rather have a forward dropping the gloves if needed. I really soured on Oleksiak after seeing Tom Wilson destroy him. Before that, it was like yead Oleksiak has his warts but he’s a pretty bad dude with fighting. Well, unless he comes back and drops Tom Wilson in a rematch, that notion has now past. Interestingly, Garrett Wilson was mentioned in an article I believe as being praised by the coaching staff for his toughness. He’s not overly big like Tom (6,4 218 vs 6,2 199), but he did defeat Tom in a fight while in Junior hockey.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

The rest of the league might consider us a dark horse but the truth is if Murray is healthy and playing like his first 2 years the Pens are a top contender. Of course that is if Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and Letang are healthy. Pens could survive any ot.her injury. I have faith in JR will add finishing touches.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
So yesterday the Pens had a Mario's chance of making the playoffs.

Today they are all the way up to Evgeni.

Why are our chances so much higher than the Isles? They have the same point percentage assuming they win their game in hand.

Does Mccurdy use strength of schedule in his model too? Or other factors?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yup from the eye test and the stats/advanced stats it’s one of his best seasons. Not including last game he was scoring 78% of his points at ES too.

He's kinda flying under the radar since he's not at the very top of the scoring race but yeah he's been fantastic.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Why are our chances so much higher than the Isles? They have the same point percentage assuming they win their game in hand.

Does Mccurdy use strength of schedule in his model too? Or other factors?

With less than half the season played what difference does it make?

At this point it is merely a fun exercise to link it. He, and is models, is much more relevant going into the playoffs and in the playoffs.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Yep..unfortunately in street clothes...Olli is not practicing either apparently....I hope these guys aren’t out long, as their replacements—Olek and ZAR—make me physically nauseous....

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't know whether to laugh or cry ...

The funny part is ZAR looks better in the top six than the bottom six. He’s also on pace for a 16 goal season.

Don’t really get the hate on him to be honest. He’s the definition of a 4th liner that can jump up and not look TOO out of place. He’s essentially Eric Fehr without the dual center usage.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The funny part is ZAR looks better in the top six than the bottom six. He’s also on pace for a 16 goal season.

Don’t really get the hate on him to be honest. He’s the definition of a 4th liner that can jump up and not look TOO out of place. He’s essentially Eric Fehr without the dual center usage.
but he does play either wing. I hope he ends up our 13, but I don't hate him like some seem to.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad