Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | Ruhwedel to W-B/S for Conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Sheahan has mailed his career in during a contract year. It seems he's fine with a 1 yr x 1 mill contract extension

Olesiak is soft as butter. He routinely gets knocked off the puck and lets up on hits. I keep hoping someone will throw a cheap shot at him to get him angry, maybe he will show some bite then...

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Sheahan will be lucky to play in the AHL. He's shown himself totally unimportant to any NHL team.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I gotta say, I thought Pearson had lost a couple of steps since that leg injury, and would end up being Spaling or Spaling+ with us, but I'm pretty darn happy with the player at this point. If he can grow a bit more into the system, he really rounds out the top six nicely.

I'd rather not have given up Hagelin, but having both would have been a luxury. Now Rust just needs the puck to go in and we need a solid L3 LW and I'll feel pretty good about the forwards.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I gotta say, I thought Pearson had lost a couple of steps since that leg injury, and would end up being Spaling or Spaling+ with us, but I'm pretty darn happy with the player at this point. If he can grow a bit more into the system, he really rounds out the top six nicely.

I'd rather not have given up Hagelin, but having both would have been a luxury. Now Rust just needs the puck to go in and we need a solid L3 LW and I'll feel pretty good about the forwards.

Pearson is doing really well. Has a nice hard shot and he battles pretty hard for pucks. Hated seeing Hagelin go though but Pearson got his goal scoring back which we desperately needed.

Seems like a player that would work on any line too. Not that we need to move him on a different line but we have him for 3 seasons so he’ll definitely be tried elsewhere.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I still believe in this team, that is mostly still in tact and has won 2 of the past 3 Stanley Cups. Despite a lot of choppy play and being forced to overcome injuries yet again, we are FINE.

Oh I'm doing it wrong. Sully is a bottom 5 coach and this team needs blown up.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Did you ever watch him play? Because nothing about how he has played would lead anyone to believe that.

Aside from Kings fans who didn’t realize Carter was crucial to Pearson’s success and Carter has basically been getting older every year.

Reactions: EightyOne

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not sure how much I like a Pearson-Malkin-Kessel line, but as long as it continues to work, you stick with that. I think Pearson can be a good goal scoring triggerman for Malkin, plus he adds a lot of strong play outside of his goal scoring. I'm just not sure I like Kessel as the RWer for that line, but I don't know if there is anyone else in the organization that I like more for that spot.

If Rust was playing to where he should be playing, I'd be saying him, but he's not even close to where he was in the past. I don't like Sprong in that spot at all, and Hornqvist doesn't bring anything for that line that Pearson doesn't bring.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I'm not sure how much I like a Pearson-Malkin-Kessel line, but as long as it continues to work, you stick with that. I think Pearson can be a good goal scoring triggerman for Malkin, plus he adds a lot of strong play outside of his goal scoring. I'm just not sure I like Kessel as the RWer for that line, but I don't know if there is anyone else in the organization that I like more for that spot.

If Rust was playing to where he should be playing, I'd be saying him, but he's not even close to where he was in the past. I don't like Sprong in that spot at all, and Hornqvist doesn't bring anything for that line that Pearson doesn't bring.

Pearson and Phil seem to have some pretty good chemistry right now too. Also seen a bunch of times they are there for each other’s rebounds.

Someone with a scoring touch to go with Brassard and Hornqvist would make a really good 3rd line too. To keep that scoring depth.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Pearson and Phil seem to have some pretty good chemistry right now too. Also seen a bunch of times they are there for each other’s rebounds.

Someone with a scoring touch to go with Brassard and Hornqvist would make a really good 3rd line too. To keep that scoring depth.

This is where the left wing issue comes from..

Ideally, maybe a

Simon - Crosby - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Pearson - Brassard - Kessel

And you flip Jake and Pearson if it doesn’t work. I just don’t understand Sullivan’s insistence on Kessel and Malkin.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
This is where the left wing issue comes from..

Ideally, maybe a

Simon - Crosby - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Pearson - Brassard - Kessel

And you flip Jake and Pearson if it doesn’t work. I just don’t understand Sullivan’s insistence on Kessel and Malkin.

I’d leave Jake with Sid and Simon for now. Their numbers are crazy good as a line. Obviously Sid is in great form but check out Sid without either of them, not good.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’d leave Jake with Sid and Simon for now. Their numbers are crazy good as a line. Obviously Sid is in great form but check out Sid without either of them, not good.

For now, yes, but long term I'm not sure that having Sid hog the creative wingers is a goer. One is a necessity, two is a luxury that places strain on having three good lines.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
For now, yes, but long term I'm not sure that having Sid hog the creative wingers is a goer. One is a necessity, two is a luxury that places strain on having three good lines.

We should be looking for another winger anyway. Seems like Sid really likes playing with Simon too.

Simon probably won’t match well with Hornqvist but should with Kessel or Pearson. He’s obviously looked best with Sid but has had some good games with Brassard and yet to play with Malkin for a game.

I’m sure the lines will switch a bit more once we are fully healthy and in a better spot in the standings.

Reactions: Peat

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
My issue is that Brassard is left on an Island. I want him off that Island. He needs one of Jake, Phil or Horny.

Reactions: EightyOne

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Oh I'm doing it wrong. Sully is a bottom 5 coach and this team needs blown up.

Ok, at least you understand. True Penguins fans are not allowed to be positive. Even the 2017 Cup win wasn't satisfactory, because they weren't the "buzzsaw" that the 2016 team was.

More complaining. Everything sucks, everyone is a borderline NHL player, the only good goalie in franchise history is Marc-Andre Fleury, Mike Sullivan won 2 Stanley Cups but doesn't deserve to be anywhere near an NHL bench, Matt Murray is a mentally weak, flash-in-the-pan, overrated POS who was gifted 2 Cups because the team in front of him "played good defense", etc.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

I mean, here’s the issue.

Everyone wants to complain about depth here, but also wants our stars to get a rest.

Jake - Sid - Simon / Hornqvist has obviously been really good, but can we afford to be the Avs / Bruins.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We should be looking for another winger anyway. Seems like Sid really likes playing with Simon too.

Simon probably won’t match well with Hornqvist but should with Kessel or Pearson. He’s obviously looked best with Sid but has had some good games with Brassard and yet to play with Malkin for a game.

I’m sure the lines will switch a bit more once we are fully healthy and in a better spot in the standings.

I like the theory of Simon-Horny. Horny is a threshing machine who'll offer lots of loose pucks and finish chances, but needs the other guys to provide the skill and speed. Simon is a great creative who does good things with loose pucks, but doesn't have much finish himself and needs others to thrash it loose. The question is whether there's enough quality and speed.

But yeah, things'll change.

My issue is that Brassard is left on an Island. I want him off that Island. He needs one of Jake, Phil or Horny.

Absolutely. But with one out and the other two performing with the guys they're with, its a hard choice for me.

or for Rust to regain some form from previous years.

This would help so much. Either for Brassard or for an option allowing Kessel to move down.

Pretty much all long term good options for the top 9 presumes that Rust figures it out or is traded for someone who has tbh.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Everyone wants to complain about depth here, but also wants our stars to get a rest.

Jake - Sid - Simon / Hornqvist has obviously been really good, but can we afford to be the Avs / Bruins.

Simon away from Sid isn’t as effective though and our current roster isn’t good enough to really have a strong attacking 3rd line at the moment.

It’s such a strong line it think it’s a mistake to break it up. Good possession, strong defence and the scoring chances 41 for 21 against (high danger chances 22 for 6 against). They’ve played 67 minutes together.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Pearson-Malkin-Kessel playing behind that line gives them way more run support than most teams.

I'd leave the top6 alone. Find someone to play with Brass and Simon/PH.

It's not like it will need to be some dynamite player. Can you get the puck to your center occasionally? Can you keep your stick on the ice around the net? Can you skate? Two of those three traits represent a huge upgrade on what we got.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Simon away from Sid isn’t as effective though and our current roster isn’t good enough to really have a strong attacking 3rd line at the moment.

It’s such a strong line it think it’s a mistake to break it up. Good possession, strong defence and the scoring chances 41 for 21 against (high danger chances 22 for 6 against). They’ve played 67 minutes together.
this blows my mind. there is one single thing that works in our offense and thats Jake Sid and Simon/Horny, and people would f... that up

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
....and if you want to make three decent lines then move Kessel to third with Brass, get Rust with Geno and pray that someone clicks on that LW3line, fourth line at this point is non existent and I can't see anything good from bunch of Grants, Wilsons, Sheahans, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad