Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Brassard-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Pearson-Sheahan-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen-Grant

Have they ever tried Guentzel with Malkin? They need to get Malkin going.

And am I the only one who thinks Cullen is probably our 3rd best C and should see more ice time? Maybe a few shifts here and there on line 3.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
So if Wilson is on waivers, does that mean Simon is healthy too? Or does waiving him before the freeze allow them to bring Simon off of IR at a later date without violating the freeze?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So if Wilson is on waivers, does that mean Simon is healthy too? Or does waiving him before the freeze allow them to bring Simon off of IR at a later date without violating the freeze?

They can't put him on waivers during the roster freeze, so he'd be forced to stick in the NHL. I imagine he gets sent down and the Penguins temporarily have a shortened roster.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
They can't put him on waivers during the roster freeze, so he'd be forced to stick in the NHL. I imagine he gets sent down and the Penguins temporarily have a shortened roster.
That's what I'm thinking.

There's a loophole if one of Simon or Horny is a little further away.
(ii) Notwithstanding Section 16.5(d)(i), a Player on emergency Recall may be Loaned during the roster freeze period and a Player who was Recalled after December 11 may be Loaned through 11:59 p.m. local time on December 23, provided such Player is not required to be placed on Waivers during the roster freeze period in order to effectuate such Loan.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
@JackFr

Doesn't Olli also have good metrics?

But yeah no one thinks Dumo is crap. He's just been up and down this year.
No, he does not.

Maatta has had decent metrics in the past (top 4 D levels) because usually his positioning and defensive work has been enough to compensate for his... physical deficiencies. This year that has not been the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I don't recall the actual rule number, but a waived player doesn't have to immediately report to their AHL team. They can play x amount of games before they have to report or go through waivers again. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't recall the actual rule number, but a waived player doesn't have to immediately report to their AHL team. They can play x amount of games before they have to report or go through waivers again. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ;)
Yeah it could be a paper move and they can keep him up or something like that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Once the player clears waivers he can play in the nhl for 9 games or be up for up to 30 days and not have to clear waivers again...after that he has to go thru waivers again...

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Maatta is bad by pretty much every standard. You don't need a chart to show you that he is having difficulty executing basic plays or handling common situations.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
While Brass is still here, and it may not be for long, I’m tired of seeing him ghost it as our L3 center since he’s miscast there playing heavy D zone starts....just give him what he wants and play him with Sid because he’s been so much better there....best use of our players imo...

Brass-Sid-Phil
Jake-G-Rust/Horny
Pearson-Sheahan-Rust/Horny
ZAR-Grant/Cullen-Simon

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If Horny returns, they should absolutely make:

Jake-Sid-Horny
Rust-G-Phil

But they won't.
Maybe it's smarter to slow play Horny's return tho with lesser minutes...

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
There are 3 guys on defense that AREN"T a problem:
Dumo
Letang
Petterson

The rest have their warts, but the biggest and nastiest wart on the Penguins face is Jack Johnson. Start with scratching his butt and see what you've got with the remainder. I'd rather have Ruh in there vs JJ- he's complete trash

Disagree.
Rig and Olli are playing much worse for the month of December.

Dumo +10
Letang +6
JJ +4
MP +2
Rig -2
Olli -3

When JJ is going well which he has been since he and MP have been put together, he's retrieving pucks well/getting clean exits via first pass/pass off to MP or skating it.

Olli and Rig are either Olli actually getting a step on someone using his smarts and making a good first pass for an exit or they're pinned in their zone or Rig passing the puck to an opponent.

Thats not to say JJ isn't capable of sucking hard but he is not sucking the hardest right now.

Step one is letting Riiko spread his wings.
Get him in there every night and work him and MP on the pk.
That'll let you bench both Olli and JJ down the road.

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There's some interesting anecdotes in the latest article in the Athletic interview with Shero. For one thing, Shero apparently was approached by Lemieux and Burkle about the possibility of getting Hossa in 06-7. So Shero said ok I'll try do it. With minutes to go near the deadline, he wasn't sure if he'd do it or not. Waddell had a few deals on the table. Lemieux basically convinced Shero to do it, though he didn't actually ask him to.

Shero also talked about an exchange he had with JR (when JR was with the Canes still) where he called JR after JR had moved a UFA he'd just signed for multiple years and lots of money. JR apparently moved the player in the first year of their deal and before December. Shero asked what was up and JR basically said it wasn't working.

Thought that was an interesting few nuggets. I'm sure JR wishes he could do that with JJ right now, lol.

Anyways if you have an Athletic sub it's an interesting read. Mostly about the Devils but there's some Pens stuff there.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Shero also talked about an exchange he had with JR (when JR was with the Canes still) where he called JR after JR had moved a UFA he'd just signed for multiple years and lots of money. JR apparently moved the player in the first year of their deal and before December. Shero asked what was up and JR basically said it wasn't working.

Thought that was an interesting few nuggets. I'm sure JR wishes he could do that with JJ right now, lol.

Anyways if you have an Athletic sub it's an interesting read. Mostly about the Devils but there's some Pens stuff there.

I'm not so sure JJ is the one he'd like to ship out atm...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You just contradicted yourself. :sarcasm::popcorn:

7fa.jpg

:laugh:

But for real though, it depends on the player because of what advanced stats show. Johnson's strengths (mainly physicality and skating) aren't shown in advanced stats, but his weaknesses (mainly defensive positioning and puck moving) are huge parts of advanced stats. Advanced stats basically show puck moving talent and shot suppression ability, neither of which are strengths of JJ.

If a puck mover has bad possession stats, that's different than JJ having bad advanced stats if that makes sense. You expect Johnson to have bad fancy stats, not strong puck movers. It's why Maatta's bad advanced stats are a much bigger deal than Johnson's bad advanced stats, because he's supposed to be good at that stuff.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why would he want to ship out Johnson? Contrary to the advanced stats watchers, Johnson hasn't been terrible this year and he has been a lot stronger recently. He's perfectly fine as a #5 defenseman, he's just signed for way too long.

Because the number of dmen on our roster means someone's gotta go sooner or later and Johnson's arguably the worst value for money there.

I'm not sure Rutherford agrees with that mind, but there's an argument there. I'm quite intrigued to see how Rutherford handles this stockpile over the coming months. I'm 99% sure that one of Maatta or Oleksiak goes, and which one goes depends more on trade returns that anything else, but I'd love to know what's his private internal picking order without contracts and where Johnson sits in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad