Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | Ruhwedel to W-B/S for Conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't mind it. A lot of teams are having success loading up their top lines. Just because we won as a three line team in the past doesn't mean it's always the answer. We need to get value out of Brassard. If we have to play him with Sid to do that and it actually works, so be it.

Reactions: BHD and pixiesfanyo

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
If we were playing the right way, we'd be able to play Brassard third line and Sheahan 4th and get good results. As we're playing as a team at the moment though, we just have to hope that Sid and Geno can win games for us. It's not worth worrying about our depth or roster when we aren't playing convincing hockey or generating consistently. It makes sense to just stack the top 6 just for the chance at points.

Reactions: Pancakes

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If we were playing the right way, we'd be able to play Brassard third line and Sheahan 4th and get good results. As we're playing as a team at the moment though, we just have to hope that Sid and Geno can win games for us. It's not worth worrying about our depth or roster when we aren't playing convincing hockey or generating consistently. It makes sense to just stack the top 6 just for the chance at points.

The issue is, and I will f***ing maintain this would have fixed things, was that we needed better wingers. I was never a fan of Pageau or Brassard as options, in a gun to my head choice I wanted Henrique, but I always thought this team was fine with Sheahan at 3C and finding a better set of wingers so Sullivan didn't shift things around so much and if he did, he couldn't f*** it up.

But then he did. He literally got a treat in Brassard, he now uses as a winger.

If they didn't move for Brass, they could have still added better wingers, including Grant and Cullen for the 4th line, with better wingers either would have been fine as a 4C.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The issue is, and I will ****ing maintain this would have fixed things, was that we needed better wingers. I was never a fan of Pageau or Brassard as options, in a gun to my head choice I wanted Henrique, but I always thought this team was fine with Sheahan at 3C and finding a better set of wingers so Sullivan didn't shift things around so much and if he did, he couldn't **** it up.

But then he did. He literally got a treat in Brassard, he now uses as a winger.

If they didn't move for Brass, they could have still added better wingers, including Grant and Cullen for the 4th line, with better wingers either would have been fine as a 4C.

I mean if Brass can play well as a winger then I don't care that he's a natural center.

Do you think Montreal is bothered by Domi performing well as a center when his natural position is wing? The issue of course is whether Brassard actually can give us value as a winger. Entirely possible he ends up as mediocre there as he has been at center. But it's worth trying imo.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Has Geno won us a game since November?

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Guentzel - Sid - Geno
Pearson - Brassard - Kessel
Others
Others

Defense
Dumo - Letang (60 mins)

Stackddddd

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't mind it. A lot of teams are having success loading up their top lines. Just because we won as a three line team in the past doesn't mean it's always the answer. We need to get value out of Brassard. If we have to play him with Sid to do that and it actually works, so be it.
Well, we've literally loaded up the lines before and got what, 1 goal out of it?

Loading up the lines isn't the solution. Creating chemistry in the line-up by keeping lines together is. This team juggles the lines so much, how do you expect anyone to get comfortable and get used to each others tendencies? Yeah there's the whole, I know how that person plays, etc, but you still need chemistry to develop.

Stacking the top 6 so much that you abandon the bottom 6 is not how you win or improve.

We won back 2 back because all 4 lines contributed to winning. That same coaching staff (sans Tocchet) is doing everything in its power to stop that from happening.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Guentzel - Sid - Geno
Pearson - Brassard - Kessel
Others
Others

Defense
Dumo - Letang (60 mins)

Stackddddd

Lol, what does making Brass-Kess on the 2nd line, make it work better than if they were on the 3rd line?

"GUYS, WE'RE THE 2ND LINE NOW, TIME TO TRY!"

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Despite all the gloom and doom on here, the Pens aren't too far away from a playoff seed.

Small but vocal group acting like the season is over. Majority knowing we are a few adjustments away.

I think until Sid/Geno retire it is a win the cup or bust every year. So if you watch this team and think of the goal, it doesn't look good. I don't know a playoff team we would beat in a best of 7 without something changing.

As of right now, im unsure if we make the playoffs and im quite certain we won't win the Cup. So there is where I'm at.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Looks like Cullen will be the only one potentially back in tonight. Horny went on IR so they didn't have to send Wilson down if that happens.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Fun fact of the day: the last time the Pens won in Chicago was apparently Kunitz’s first game as a Pen and DB’s fifth game as coach....so don’t underestimate our ability to lose tonight folks

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Fun fact of the day: the last time the Pens won in Chicago was apparently Kunitz’s first game as a Pen and DB’s fifth game as coach....so don’t underestimate our ability to lose tonight folks

Sounds like they’re more than due.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Situation with DeSmith is very interesting. He is outplaying Murray by a country mile. I´m still not convinced if he is legit, but which chance is better? A) DeSmith is legit and keeps playing like this B) Murray getting his **** together and starts to play well again.. I honestly don´t know.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pens with an almost four in ten chance of missing the playoffs AND at the same time not being bad enough for a top five pick.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Pens with an almost four in ten chance of missing the playoffs AND at the same time not being bad enough for a top five pick.

Looks like they’re going to have to pick which direction to go....personally I’d go with the Hawks tank unless JR can pick up a skilled fast young forward to imbue some energy (and goals) in the top 9. They could take a chance and wait for Schultz but if he can’t up to speed quickly it won’t help

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Small but vocal group acting like the season is over. Majority knowing we are a few adjustments away.

I think until Sid/Geno retire it is a win the cup or bust every year. So if you watch this team and think of the goal, it doesn't look good. I don't know a playoff team we would beat in a best of 7 without something changing.

As of right now, im unsure if we make the playoffs and im quite certain we won't win the Cup. So there is where I'm at.

I'm in the doom and gloom crew, but I still think we turn it around and win some games in the playoffs. It's just that for a team with all the key pieces and experience that we have, it's not that impressive to make the playoffs. It's also frustrating that we've lost the intangible/attitude stuff that we had in 2016 and 17 that it took so long for us to find. The identity and motivation has disappeared since the 2017 cup run, and it doesn't look like it's coming back without something big happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad