Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | Blue! My Boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Seen Dumo rotated in with Schultz today in practice.

Seems to suggest if just Dumo is back soon, it's:

Dumo-Schultz
MP-Guds
JJ-Riiko/Trots

Can't see them making JJ-Guds...(Good Lord if they do...)
I don't mind it if it's that.

If/when Dumo-Tang get back it's no doubt:

Dumo-Tang
JJ-Schultz
MP-Guds

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just love this time of year, every game matters.
Yeah but I kind of wish we didn't have to worry so much about even getting in. Usually it's "where are we placing to face the best match up" but I don't mind the battle.

This team needs to be in this spot with their backs against the wall and to claw in. They need to find a way to rally and claw back in. Which will get them in the right mind set for the playoffs. So I hope other teams keep pushing so the Pens have to bring that sense of urgency, panic, and intensity back into their game.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Seen Dumo rotated in with Schultz today in practice.

Seems to suggest if just Dumo is back soon, it's:

Dumo-Schultz
MP-Guds
JJ-Riiko/Trots

Can't see them making JJ-Guds...(Good Lord if they do...)
I don't mind it if it's that.

If/when Dumo-Tang get back it's no doubt:

Dumo-Tang
JJ-Schultz
MP-Guds

I think it'll be Johnson- Trotman as the pairing if Dumo is back but I like the healthy pairings.

I actually like what I have seen out of Gudbranson and yeah JJ is getting his shit on track, right when we need him to.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kessel's due for a big game or two. Hopefully we can cruise by Florida and save that for Columbus. He torched them a good bit the last couple of years.

With Rust out and no deadline acquisition of a winger, I doubt we see Sully break them up for now.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm a broken record. I've wanted Kessel permanently off the Penguins to address their more tangible needs (2-way forwards, defensemen who are actually good at hockey).

I think I'll finally get my wish this summer.

In the meantime, I think Kessel deserves a go with Crosby and Guentzel for a period of time. Crosby-Guentzel-Letang-Dumo is a possession monster where Kessel's various areas of incompetence (most areas where he isn't skating in clear with the puck firmly possessed on his forehand) would be masked and his strengths could shine. Otherwise, yeah stick him on the 3rd line and just live with knowing it won't be very good - HBK was the exception and not the rule. Keep him away from Malkin.

Reactions: NEPA and KIRK

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I'm a broken record. I've wanted Kessel permanently off the Penguins to address their more tangible needs (2-way forwards, defensemen who are actually good at hockey).

I think I'll finally get my wish this summer.

In the meantime, I think Kessel deserves a go with Crosby and Guentzel for a period of time. Crosby-Guentzel-Letang-Dumo is a possession monster where Kessel's various areas of incompetence (most areas where he isn't skating in clear with the puck firmly possessed on his forehand) would be masked and his strengths could shine. Otherwise, yeah stick him on the 3rd line and just live with knowing it won't be very good - HBK was the exception and not the rule. Keep him away from Malkin.

Don't agree with Kessel on the top line. It's clicking, and only Phil can get Phil going. I think he will get going. Crunch time is a different Phil. And if it's not different this time, then pursue a trade.

But my main point is that if you ever change your username, make it simply 'Skitters.' I think it's funny.

Skitters.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Don't agree with Kessel on the top line. It's clicking, and only Phil can get Phil going. I think he will get going. Crunch time is a different Phil. And if it's not different this time, then pursue a trade.

I don't think he meant Kessel there permanently, he stated for a time. I don't have an objection to that.

lucasjb

Oct 23, 2014
Does anyone else on this board want to see Kessel permanently on the 3rd line?

Yes. He's not a pure finisher like James Neal, he likes to carry the puck and distribute as well as shoot. Put him on a line where he can drive the play, put him on the third with McCann or Bjugstad as the pivot.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I don't think he meant Kessel there permanently, he stated for a time. I don't have an objection to that.

I guess you might as well mix it up, but why punish Sid with Phil "the Cooler" Kessel. I'm just betting it wouldn't work.

Besides, even a simple powerplay goal could shake Phil loose.

Reactions: NEPA

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

But my main point is that if you ever change your username, make it simply 'Skitters.' I think it's funny.

Skitters.

It sounds better when Doc says it ("and the puck skitters to a stop, as it is...inclined to do as they say") as his voice croaks and Pierre jumps in with a quote about random-3rd-line plugger's college coach and how he runs a great program up there at St. Grand Rapids State Polytechnic Regional University.

But to your point, Phil was atrocious during the 2018 playoffs. He was good but not great in 2017. He was fantastic in 2016 but that was the entire team, really.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I'd still be against it - I'm not up for distracting Sid while he's busy carrying the team.

As for moving Phil down to the third, I think that makes increasing sense although I'm not sure Simon-Hornqvist does Geno any more favours, or that ZAR/Bloogs-Bjoogs-Phil is a great line for getting him going either.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It almost makes sense to move Kessel lower than the third line...

...Like to W-B/S

Reactions: kladorf2005

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'd still be against it - I'm not up for distracting Sid while he's busy carrying the team.

As for moving Phil down to the third, I think that makes increasing sense although I'm not sure Simon-Hornqvist does Geno any more favours, or that ZAR/Bloogs-Bjoogs-Phil is a great line for getting him going either.

ZAR and McCann (or Teddy) would work for Geno. Hornqvist with Crosby. IDK when Rust comes back but he helps somewhere.

We put Phil with Bjugs and just hope it works. Perhaps in the playoffs we let Cullen center that line.

We really should have traded Phil last offseason once Kessel-Malkin got its brains beat in during the playoffs and it was apparent that Sid didn't want to play with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad