Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | Blue! My Boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
According to the Montreal Gazette he’s playing again but who knows
At this point in time they really have no choice, this is a 4pts game we're talking about between wild cards blood bathers.

This said, like K Fleur said, it's said that price doesn't like the Pens that much and we're talking 2 games in a row for a guy who doesn't do that well under this circumstance.

Best scenario would be to stack it early on him and get Antti Niemi replace him for more fun.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I wouldn't go into this expecting a win.
This D + CDS....
Nope.
Zero expectations.
Plus i'm PeeYew4Hughes right now so...

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I wouldn't go into this expecting a win.
This D + CDS....
Nope.
Zero expectations.
Plus i'm PeeYew4Hughes right now so...
That's hilarious :laugh: But we'd have to pretty much tank the rest of the way to be in the conversation, yeah?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@LittleSpoon JJ - it's because metrics have shown he's not a black hole with Schultz. Which shows either world record setting chemistry or that Schultz covers his ass enough to make him less ass.

Guess which one it is, most likely. JJ has been better, sure. But I think you severely misunderstand the importance of Schultz and how he's the reason JJ is playing better and JJ is also slightly better as well. So it works out.

But let's not be blind here.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
@LittleSpoon JJ - it's because metrics have shown he's not a black hole with Schultz. Which shows either world record setting chemistry or that Schultz covers his ass enough to make him less ass.

Guess which one it is, most likely. JJ has been better, sure. But I think you severely misunderstand the importance of Schultz and how he's the reason JJ is playing better and JJ is also slightly better as well. So it works out.

But let's not be blind here.
As I said after the first 25 games he’s a plus. I don’t think it’s only because of Schultz. And I’m def not underestimating Schultz. I’m of the group that hopes we resign him after next year. I think it’s more blind to just blame JJ for everything when it’s more clear that it is a team defensive system issue more so than an individual player.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As I said after the first 25 games he’s a plus. I don’t think it’s only because of Schultz. And I’m def not underestimating Schultz. I’m of the group that hopes we resign him after next year. I think it’s more blind to just blame JJ for everything when it’s more clear that it is a team defensive system issue more so than an individual player.
You mean when Pettersson was carrying him?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
That's hilarious :laugh: But we'd have to pretty much tank the rest of the way to be in the conversation, yeah?

I think if we just miss out on the POs we’d have a 1% chance at Hughes...hey, but it’s something...

Reactions: DegenX

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
You mean when Pettersson was carrying him?
Oh it was Pets...didn’t he look pretty pedestrian quite a few times recently. Just the narrative that petterson carried him. No way it could have been JJ propping up the 22 year old. JJ is just the whipping boy this year. Different guy every year, same story every year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh it was Pets...didn’t he look pretty pedestrian quite a few times recently. Just the narrative that petterson carried him. No way it could have been JJ propping up the 22 year old. JJ is just the whipping boy this year. Different guy every year, same story every year.
You're right. He should be in the norris convo obvi.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think if we just miss out on the POs we’d have a 1% chance at Hughes...hey, but it’s something...

Guess it's more a top 15 pick that i'm after or top 10 at best.
Theres some good talent in that 15 or so.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Haha riveting end to the convo bud.
iRIPuE4.gif

Indeed. I hope JJ does well, he owes me a couple of Grand.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Bettman will see us right :sarcasm:

Tbh, from what little I saw of the JWCs, Kaapo looks like he might be better...

Eh, how Pettersson looks now has nothing to do with who carried who in Johnson-Pettersson. Perfectly possible he played very well then but his form has slipped now - and going from eye test and stats, I'd have said that's what it was.

Reactions: DegenX

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Lines 2-4 desperately need a shakeup. Also please get Kessel away from Geno. Although with Rust out, the options arent great.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Takin' from PGT:

We need to try Kessel with the Florida boys when Rust ist back.

Guentzel - Sid - Hornqvist
ZAR - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Bjugstad - Kessel
Blueger - Cullen - Simon

Malkin seems to be a one man show on that 2nd line but I think he can handle it.

If Sid-Phil just will not happen atm, Phil just needs to have a go with Bjugs again.

But with Rust back, i 100% run Jake/McCann as the top 6 LW'ers right now.
Or even doing that right now with Rust out would be wise if McCann-Sid-Jake's 5on5 scoring dries up.
ZAR/Simon(especially ZAR right now) ain't cuttin' it as top 6 wings and it's crunch time.

What i'd do atm:

-Just can't break up McCan-Sid-Jake right now. That trio won the game in MTL.
-In terms of "doable" if they keep G-Phil together on top of that:

McCann-Sid-Jake
Horny/Blueger-G-Phil
Simon-Bjugs-Horny/Blueger
ZAR-Cullen-Blandisi

-i'd get Blandisi up here for more speed. it's lacking and he has some skill to go with it.
-ZAR/Wilson bring the same sorta thing and since ZAR is way more likely to produce he stays in my lineup + if ZAR is going well in a game, he can be bumped up vs a Wilson.
-they've took Horny for a spin on LW before so this is doable...
-G just needs some help getting clean exits and entries so thats where Horny/Bluegs come in.
-also not opposed to G with 2 of Simon/Horny/Blueger and Phil back with Bjugs either.
-if everything goes back to suck with these i'd simply work with:

Jake-Sid-x
McCann-G-x
x-Bjugs-Phil

Last edited:

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Takin' from PGT:

If Sid-Phil just will not happen atm, Phil just needs to have a go with Bjugs again.

But with Rust back, i 100% run Jake/McCann as the top 6 LW'ers right now.
Or even doing that right now with Rust out would be wise if McCann-Sid-Jake's 5on5 scoring dries up.
ZAR/Simon(especially ZAR right now) ain't cuttin' it as top 6 wings and it's crunch time.

What i'd do atm:

-Just can't break up McCan-Sid-Jake right now. That trio won the game in MTL.
-In terms of "doable" if they keep G-Phil together on top of that:

McCann-Sid-Jake
Horny/Blueger-G-Phil
Simon-Bjugs-Horny/Blueger
ZAR-Cullen-Blandisi

-i'd get Blandisi up here for more speed. it's lacking and he has some skill to go with it.
-ZAR/Wilson bring the same sorta thing and since ZAR is way more likely to produce he stays in my lineup + if ZAR is going well in a game, he can be bumped up vs a Wilson.
-they've took Horny for a spin on LW before so this is doable...
-G just needs some help getting clean exits and entries so thats where Horny/Bluegs come in.
-also not opposed to G with 2 of Simon/Horny/Blueger and Phil back with Bjugs either.
-if everything goes back to suck with these i'd simply work with:

Jake-Sid-x
McCann-G-x
x-Bjugs-Phil

My idea was to somehow get Phil going and make the Pens a match up monster again.
Sid and Jake don´t need McCann, they can handle their load even with Horny on thier wing. Maybe this gets Horny going as well.
Geno doesn´t need star players like Phil but guys who support him in his game. We all know Rust will do this and don´t forget, Geno got going after beeing paired with ZAR. I´ll give them a few games to see if it works out.
McCann - Bjug - Kessel could be a line which allows to be Phil what he is. A lazy backchecker, who has one of the best shots in the NHL. McCann backchecks like crazy and can score as well. Bjug is a decent enough playmaker to find Phil. This is like HBK 2.0 but could be better because McCann can actually score.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
My idea was to somehow get Phil going and make the Pens a match up monster again.
Sid and Jake don´t need McCann, they can handle their load even with Horny on thier wing. Maybe this gets Horny going as well.
Geno doesn´t need star players like Phil but guys who support him in his game. We all know Rust will do this and don´t forget, Geno got going after beeing paired with ZAR. I´ll give them a few games to see if it works out.
McCann - Bjug - Kessel could be a line which allows to be Phil what he is. A lazy backchecker, who has one of the best shots in the NHL. McCann backchecks like crazy and can score as well. Bjug is a decent enough playmaker to find Phil. This is like HBK 2.0 but could be better because McCann can actually score.

I do agree with Jake-Sid not needing McCann but for right now if you have a hot line, you gotta stick with it.
And with the way G's playing atm if i take McCann of L1, he's 100% going with G no matter if Rust is back in or not.
ZAR's game right now is regressing back to he should never be above L3 atm.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
With the injuries to our team I’d be running..

Jake - Crosby - Hornqvist
McCann - Malkin - Simon
Blueger - Bjugstad - Kessel
ZAR - Cullen - Wilson

Thats not a bad stab at things at all.
Can even keep Phil with G if you wanted in terms of a "doable" thing atm.

For me, i'd try and get lines 2-4 going without breaking up McCann-Sid-Jake immediately tho.
If after a period or so Tuesday if things still look hella wonky with no production from L1, i'd deffo go to this type of setup.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thats not a bad stab at things at all.
Can even keep Phil with G if you wanted in terms of a "doable" thing atm.

For me, i'd try and get lines 2-4 going without breaking up McCann-Sid-Jake immediately tho.
If after a period or so Tuesday if things still look hella wonky with no production from L1, i'd deffo go to this type of setup.
if there was ever a proof for all conspiracy theories about Sid, it was shown last week, Sid looked disengaged and not all that great (for his standards) in a couple of games with Horny, here goes Horny off, here comes ol' good Sid back...:sarcasm:

Reactions: KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad