Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | Blue! My Boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Maybe a hot take, but coming off back-to-backs for Murs, I start CDS on Tuesday. From then on, I play CDS against Boston and St. Louis (the other b2b situations). That still puts Murs at 13 games played for March, which is a lot, especially for a string bean like him. Might have to even give CDS one more start somewhere in there.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Maybe a hot take, but coming off back-to-backs for Murs, I start CDS on Tuesday. From then on, I play CDS against Boston and St. Louis (the other b2b situations). That still puts Murs at 13 games played for March, which is a lot, especially for a string bean like him. Might have to even give CDS one more start somewhere in there.
I'd only be resting Murray against teams where there is a high probability of injury, like Columbus or Philly.

Reactions: EightyOne

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Pens start a stretch of 12 games in 20 days tomorrow, your going to have to use both goalies.

I'd start CDS tomorrow against Florida, then i'd start him against Boston, CDS best game of the year this year might of been against Boston.

Give Murray the 2 games against CBJ who he usually plays pretty well against.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I don’t think they’re going to play Murr twice in the CLB double shot...one game will go to CDS...CDS plays better at home and Murr on the road, and they like to play Murr the first game of b2bs (unless he’s playing both games), so I expect to see the following...

FLA....Murr (but possible CDS)
CLB at home....CDS
CLB on road...Murr
BOS b2b on road...CDS ((but could well be Murr)

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
One good thing about the way these past few games have gone is we don't necessarily need to rush Letang or Dumoulin back.

What would be really helpful is if we could beat Florida on Tuesday. If we do that, then we get to go into that home and home against Columbus with the knowledge that we have some breathing room. We can go 1-1 against Columbus at that point and still be ahead of them by 2 points. Going 2-0 would put a dagger in their hopes. Going 0-2 would really hurt of course, but wouldn't be the end of the world.

Winnipeg/Edmonton really did us a huge favor this past weekend.

If the Pens can have a 3-0 week this week I don't see how we miss the playoffs. We'd be hugely in the driver's seat at that point. Even 2-1 would look pretty damned good.

Reactions: EightyOne

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
One good thing about the way these past few games have gone is we don't necessarily need to rush Letang or Dumoulin back.

What would be really helpful is if we could beat Florida on Tuesday. If we do that, then we get to go into that home and home against Columbus with the knowledge that we have some breathing room. We can go 1-1 against Columbus at that point and still be ahead of them by 2 points. Going 2-0 would put a dagger in their hopes. Going 0-2 would really hurt of course, but wouldn't be the end of the world.

Winnipeg/Edmonton really did us a huge favor this past weekend.

If the Pens can have a 3-0 week this week I don't see how we miss the playoffs. We'd be hugely in the driver's seat at that point. Even 2-1 would look pretty damned good.
I really, really want to go 2-0 against them. The only thing better than knocking them out of the playoffs in a 7 game series might actually be knocking them out in the regular season. This is doubly true with all the deadline moves they made. Heads will roll.

Reactions: Pancakes

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
You mean when Pettersson was carrying him?
I don't think Petterson is good enough to carry anyone. JMFJ deserves a lot of criticism for how he's played this year, but he deserves credit for when he's playing well, too.

A lot depends on the standings. If they get a more secure hold on a playoff spot, sure, give CDS some games. Otherwise, I'd ride the #1 goalie.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I would for sure play Murray for both Columbus games. We need all our best players for those games.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So what do they do if Dumo is back Tuesday but not Letang...

If they plan to play JJ-Schultz as the second pair for good, then they won't want to break them up...so where does Dumo play?

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh

If they plan to play JJ-Schultz as the second pair for good, then they won't want to break them up...so where does Dumo play?

He won't be back for a week or two.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He won't be back for a week or two.

How do you know? If non-contact practice goes well, he'll be taking contact ASAP. If not for tomorrow's game, then Wednesday's practice for Thursday. Why hold him out until Letang is ready?

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
How do you know? If non-contact practice goes well, he'll be taking contact ASAP. If not for tomorrow's game, then Wednesday's practice for Thursday. Why hold him out until Letang is ready?

Going by past progression of players in concussion protocol. The penguins won't rush him. I'd be surprised to see him before the Sabres game on the 14th.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Going by past progression of players in concussion protocol. The penguins won't rush him. I'd be surprised to see him before the Sabres game on the 14th.

I would assume cleared by Saturday. Couple days of contact + rest to see if symptoms are there.

Tuesday - rest (see if symptoms are there)
Wednesday - contact
Thursday - off ice/rest to see if symptoms are there
Friday - contact
Saturday - clear

That is if there are no set backs.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

That's not how protocol has worked in the past.

Dumo will probably participate in a morning skate tomorrow in a regular contact jersey.

Then he will most likely be cleared for Thursday.

That's of course assuming he doesn't have any type of setback.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I agree with keeping your projected pairings together as much as possible. Especially if Letang isn't going to be out that much longer. I think Trotman has played well and I'd like to keep the LHD-RHD thing going as much as possible, so I'd go with:

JMFJ - Schultz
Petterson - Gudzilla
Dumo - Trotman

Reactions: Guentz and Andy99

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

If Dumo is back ahead of Letang i would hope they would put Dumo with Schultz and JJ with Riikola.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I would assume cleared by Saturday. Couple days of contact + rest to see if symptoms are there.

Tuesday - rest (see if symptoms are there)
Wednesday - contact
Thursday - off ice/rest to see if symptoms are there
Friday - contact
Saturday - clear

That is if there are no set backs.

I'd sit him for as long as possible too. If we're getting results without him then there's no rush. Take our time.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think getting Rust back healthy is all too crucial for us. We need him hot for the playoffs.

Jake-Sid-McCann
Rust-Malkin-Hornqvist
ZAR/Simon-Bjugstad-Kessel
ZAR/Simon-Cullen-Bleuger/Wilson

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson

MM/CDS

once healthy, this is what I hope they run. You can rotate ZAR-Simon-Bleuger to see who works best where. Wilson in against heavy teams.

In this line up we can switch Horny and McCann pretty easily. Horny and Kessel easily. Lots of versatility in this line up.

Reactions: Ms Maggie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad