Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | Blue! My Boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I want to say thanks again to @EightyOne, @Clare2904, @Ugene Malkin, @dogthateats and @BHD for all their help this season making GDTs. Very much appreciated.
I also want to say 'Goodbye' to everyone as well. This will be my last post before logging out for good. It's been fun, and I've learned a lot but it's time for me to move on. Thanks, everyone!
Right before the post season?!
Why?

Goodbye and good luck with everything
=/

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Man it really has to be

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson
Johnson

It really does.

Olli, JJ, MP all bring something different.
Olli vs the speed on DET will tell alot about which 2 of the 3 LD should be in for the PO's.
I sorta look at it as who would an opponent love to play against on our LD.
Gotta think Olli is at the top of that list right now...

And wth @DegenX? Hope all is well with you and yours.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Olli, JJ, MP all bring something different.
Olli vs the speed on DET will tell alot about which 2 of the 3 LD should be in for the PO's.
I sorta look at it as who would an opponent love to play against on our LD.
Gotta think Olli is at the top of that list right now...

And wth @DegenX? Hope all is well with you and yours.

Personally, if I was one of our opponents, I'd hope more than anything to play against the guy who's in the top 5 for bad relative GF% over the past 3 years and top 2 this year. There's no style match up where playing the guy who is by far the most consistently likely to be there when the opposition scores is a bad one.

And the idea that Maatta's going to be an even better one seems very, very at odds with the numbers we've got on when goals go in and why.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Personally, if I was one of our opponents, I'd hope more than anything to play against the guy who's in the top 5 for bad relative GF% over the past 3 years and top 2 this year. There's no style match up where playing the guy who is by far the most consistently likely to be there when the opposition scores is a bad one.

And the idea that Maatta's going to be an even better one seems very, very at odds with the numbers we've got on when goals go in and why.

It'd be an interesting poll thats for sure but i'm still betting Olli would win it atm.

Ultimately JJ vs Olli doesn't matter cuz JJ will 100% be dressed.
It's Olli vs MP.

Reactions: BHD

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It'd be an interesting poll thats for sure but i'm still betting Olli would win it atm.

It's Olli vs MP.

Why? Why would you bet that opposition GMs would rather face a better player than a worse one?

edit: Also, who cares what they think when we know that we very clearly have one player who's worse than the others and should be sat, even if management disagree?

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Why? Why would you bet that opposition GMs would rather face a better player than a worse one?

edit: Also, who cares what they think when we know that we very clearly have one player who's worse than the others and should be sat, even if management disagree?

I'm talking about the actual players that have to play a 7 game series vs our LD, not GM's.

Like i said tho, these games left will pretty much tell us who should be in the lineup on LD. I'm not just looking for Olli to stumble here. Thats not what i want. I want all 4LD(Riiko included) to be ready to go. Let the coaches decide who to put where. You can make adjustments and having everyone ready/playing well gives you options in a long grueling series.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm talking about the actual players that have to play a 7 game series vs our LD, not GM's.

Like i said tho, these games left will pretty much tell us who should be in the lineup on LD. I'm not just looking for Olli to stumble here. Thats not what i want. I want all 4LD(Riiko included) to be ready to go. Let the coaches decide who to put where. You can make adjustments and having everyone ready/playing well gives you options in a long grueling series.

Okay, why would opposition players prefer to play against the player where its clearly less likely their team will be winning when they stop their shift than the one where its clearly more likely?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Okay, why would opposition players prefer to play against the player where its clearly less likely their team will be winning when they stop their shift than the one where its clearly more likely?

Hockey's a funny/complex game, my friend.
A team with JJ and Gudbranson have been one of the better defenses in the league this last stretch since Guds put on a PIT sweater.
JJ is also a PPG player in the NHL PO's....

I'd love nothing more than Olli to shine here and get a jersey but theres very little time.
I'm goin' with what works.
ATM i feel good about JJ-Schultz and MP-Guds.
I'll have to wait and see on Olli-Schultz/Guds.
I might be good with it...i just dunno right this minute.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

It's Olli vs MP.

Unfortunately it’s looking like both will be dressing and Letang will be out...say it ain’t so...we’re going to have pull 2017 miracles from our ***es again...

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Unfortunately it’s looking like both will be dressing and Letang will be out...say it ain’t so...we’re going to have pull 2017 miracles from our ***es again...

Did i miss something on Letang?
Isn't he skating?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hockey's a funny/complex game, my friend.
A team with JJ and Gudbranson have been one of the better defenses in the league this last stretch since Guds put on a PIT sweater.
JJ is also a PPG player in the NHL PO's....

Guess which Pens dman is top 10 in the league for worst relative GF% in that time period.

Hockey is complex, but sometimes people try to make it more complex than it is. Johnson consistently results in things going better for the opposition than they otherwise would.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Guess which Pens dman is top 10 in the league for worst relative GF% in that time period.

Hockey is complex, but sometimes people try to make it more complex than it is. Johnson consistently results in things going better for the opposition than they otherwise would.

I mean, i get it. JJ sucks!
But Olli has sucked too this year.
MP is still young and does sucky things too.
It's really a toss up for me at the moment for which 2 LD to dress with 8-58 in.
I gotta factor in who's been playing alot with decent spurts of good play too coming down this stretch vs a guy just getting back in the lineup with the known physical limitations that that player has.
Olli has time here to get back into it and we're gonna need him to so...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean, i get it. JJ sucks!
But Olli has sucked too this year.
MP is still young and does sucky things too.
It's really a toss up for me at the moment for which 2 LD to dress with 8-58 in.
I gotta factor in who's been playing alot with decent spurts of good play too coming down this stretch vs a guy just getting back in the lineup with the known physical limitations that that player has.
Olli has time here to get back into it and we're gonna need him to so...

Tbh, the point I was aiming for is that treating Maatta and Johnson as a toss up is unbelievably foolish going by the numbers to the point where any eye test trying to tell you different simply isn't fit for purpose.

And if I thought Maatta had sucked this season and Johnson has had some decent spurts of good play and that there was still such a gulf in results between them, I'd be even more set on the idea that there's only one possible winner. When Maatta sucks not much bad happens. But Johnson being good still results in him being comfortably the worst dman on the team. I'd have thought that'd be really damning.

But apparently not.

edit: The best way I can put this is that I feel like I'm reading a debate on how its a toss up on whether its better to have 75 dollars or 98 dollars because neither's a hundred.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Did i miss something on Letang?
Isn't he skating?

Apparently he looked in a lot of discomfort skating...he didn't look "right" according to the journalists....and some of them are saying he doesn't look like he'll be ready to start the POs...I'm going with worst case scenario so I can feel better if it doesn't happen and be right when it does lol...

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD and Peat

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Damn. Degen will be missed. I hope everything is ok and she returns at some point.

I was getting caught up with this thread and I thought for sure it would be an April fools joke. :(

Reactions: BHD and EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Apparently he looked in a lot of discomfort skating...he didn't look "right" according to the journalists....and some of them are saying he doesn't look like he'll be ready to start the POs...I'm going with worst case scenario so I can feel better if it doesn't happen and be right when it does lol...

Opening Pandora's Box here..worst case scenario is...a press conference after the season...

...and you know what conference would be..But I'm not even gonna type it out.

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Take all the time you need, Letang. If it means missing the playoffs, whatever. Don't continue to decimate your body and risk lifelong issues to be a hero, dude.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The concern I'm having is a Dupuis situation. Where he's advised not to play anymore...
The fan in me selfishly wants Letang to play and come back. The human in me wants him to not be partially crippled for the remainder of his days so I can watch my team win more games. :laugh:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The fan in me selfishly wants Letang to play and come back. The human in me wants him to not be partially crippled for the remainder of his days so I can watch my team win more games. :laugh:

Right, but naturally retiring Letang doesn't completely screw over the ability of the team to win as they'd have been drafting/making moves to replace him over his last couple seasons.

If he straight up retires this summer, it's a major blow.

I might have pined for his trade in the past...But that's because the Pens would have got SOMETHING back.

They'll have cap space...But no guarantee another 1D wants to sign in FA.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I want to say thanks again to @EightyOne, @Clare2904, @Ugene Malkin, @dogthateats and @BHD for all their help this season making GDTs. Very much appreciated.
I also want to say 'Goodbye' to everyone as well. This will be my last post before logging out for good. It's been fun, and I've learned a lot but it's time for me to move on. Thanks, everyone!

Thanks for being a good mod! I know I deserved the warnings/bans I received from you. I hope the next mod that steps in your shoes is as good...also new replacement mod, please don't ban me?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Right, but naturally retiring Letang doesn't completely screw over the ability of the team to win as they'd have been drafting/making moves to replace him over his last couple seasons.

If he straight up retires this summer, it's a major blow.

I might have pined for his trade in the past...But that's because the Pens would have got SOMETHING back.

They'll have cap space...But no guarantee another 1D wants to sign in FA.
I'll be legitimately worried if he A. doesn't play in the playoffs and B. requires another surgery this summer. If those two things happen, I think there's a good chance he takes a step back and reevaluates his desire to keep playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot