Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | Blue! My Boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
IDK if Riikola is better than Maatta or JJ, honestly. But he is cheaper and so I'd prefer him for next year.

I'm pretty sure, given their respective demonstrated ceilings in the NHL to date, that Riikola is probably not better than either, and that its not even close with Maatta.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Schultz's stature benefits from 2 things:

2017 playoffs where he became the co-#1D by default.
Earlier this year where him being out correlated with us sucking.

Nonetheless, I agree with you that he has not been quite as good recently. Dumo had a couple of rough games too although he was great Tuesday night.

Not just this season - it was true last season too.

In fact, here's the numbers for with and without him over the past two seasons

With him
50-24-10 – 110 points out of 84 games .654
And without him
36-29-7 – 79 out of 72 games .548

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Or maybe Schultz has just been ass and needs to be better? There's a thought.

I don't get the unwillingness some people here have with criticizing Schultz. You almost never see any negatives said about him.

He’s struggled in the D zone too... but he hasn’t made as many blatant mistakes as JJ and he’ll be judged and rightly so by how he helps transition and O first

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He’s struggled in the D zone too... but he hasn’t made as many blatant mistakes as JJ and he’ll be judged and rightly so by how he helps transition and O first

Which he's not doing at all, seeing how his possession stats are downright horrendous.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The team expected him to spend a lot of time in WBS. He spent a lot of time in the NHL. IMO that was a huge successful first year.
Even if it takes a bit to get him a full-time spot, keep him in the system and let him develop. I think he's got almost as much potential as Petts to be a regular on our blueline. We just have no spot for him to play through the growing pains right now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could say the same about yours. I won't though, because that wouldn't make any sense.

I never claimed Johnson helps the Penguins in terms of possession or in their transition game. Schultz having bad possession stats is way more damning than JJ having bad possession stats because Schultz is supposed to have good stats based on his strengths.

By eye test he is helping a lot in transition.

the advanced stats are bad because his partner is awful advanced stats JJ, Not a coincidence.

Yet Pettersson didn't have awful advanced stats while playing with a worse Johnson on his off-side. Convenient thing you're ignoring there.

This is really supporting my thought that people here refuse to criticize Schultz at all, despite his play deserving significant criticism recently.

It’s because he really makes misplays and plays a solid game supporting our forwards. The exact opposite of JJ.

So the Juuso Riikola defense then.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You do realize Petts is having a Maatta level rookie year?

Every now and again I stop and think to myself that if Pettersson fills out his frame and grows his game just a little more, and crucially is capable of maintaining what he's doing against that higher level of opposition with some more minutes, he's very close to being a Dumo-Maatta hybrid.

Aka a legit as hell #3 dman

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Every now and again I stop and think to myself that if Pettersson fills out his frame and grows his game just a little more, and crucially is capable of maintaining what he's doing against that higher level of opposition with some more minutes, he's very close to being a Dumo-Maatta hybrid.

Aka a legit as hell #3 dman

If he’s scratched, that is when I’ll start accepting some questions about Sullivan.

No chance in hell he deserves that given what he’s done this year for our team

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If he’s scratched, that is when I’ll start accepting some questions about Sullivan.

No chance in hell he deserves that given what he’s done this year for our team

Basically anyone other than Johnson getting scratched. But this movie looks awfully familiar.

This is why I have decided to forsake all hope and embrace the sweet inevitability of the void that awaits us all.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I never claimed Johnson helps the Penguins in terms of possession or in their transition game. Schultz having bad possession stats is way more damning than JJ having bad possession stats because Schultz is supposed to have good stats based on his strengths.

lol what? I was just making a childish joke that you have bad possession stats.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
What is our PP% the past like 15 games? I believe we're still 4th overall but lately it's been trash and I think Kessel needs off of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad