Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | Blue! My Boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
While it is impossible for me not to enjoy the near certainty the Flyers will be missing the playoffs, I will say Gritty does have his moments. He was just voted "best mascot" in a NHLPA poll. His response:

Roses are red, the rumors are true,#29NHLMascots, I'm better than yous. https://t.co/5hYE8KJXW2 - Gritty (@GrittyNHL) March 20, 2019

Gritty was the best marketing idea i've seen in the NHL or in sports in general. they KNEW Philly would shit on any mascot, so why not go that route?

Genius. I honestly cannot believe they had THAT leadership group approve it because those are the same people who own Comcast. Notoriously the worst company to work for and worst customer service. So to be creative and sign off on that - kudos.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
:laugh: I'd be more positive than the Pittsburgh media! That's for sure. But as we know, positive doesn't get the hits. Must have the hot takes!

You could start a new business model. Optimistic Hot Takes!

Since you got me thinking about Malkin, Sid's recent points scoring slowdown is reminding me of last year a little - job done in qualifying, no need to bust a gut chasing RS numbers while there's a playoff coming. I feel like we'll see this team play hard but within itself to bring it home and then explode come the first series.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think the PP would look better to us if they got more of them. Are they still bottom 5 in calls drawed?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
You could start a new business model. Optimistic Hot Takes!

Since you got me thinking about Malkin, Sid's recent points scoring slowdown is reminding me of last year a little - job done in qualifying, no need to bust a gut chasing RS numbers while there's a playoff coming. I feel like we'll see this team play hard but within itself to bring it home and then explode come the first series.

Another thing that can effect form is training. I have no idea if it happens in Pittsburgh or the NHL but my Aussie Rules team I follow used to taper things off on the track and certain times of the year to try and get them at their best psychically for the finals. Had an effect on the players and the results too during the season. Probably less complicated in AFL though with only one game a week.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I said this to @KIRK and i really believe it - I'm thinking Geno getting a little rest here is the best possible thing that could have happened. I think he's going to come back on fire.

It can't hurt. We're probably in with 4-5 more points and this team should be able to manage that without Geno with 7 games left. We'd need 2-3 wins basically, or 2 wins and 1 OTL, etc.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
25% with 11 goals. However that's dropped to 20% in the last 5 games - the hot streak is over.

Just 20%????

Gotta pump those numbers up man.

Edit: I had to delete what I posted...

But ideally, this is a top 5 powerplay, Sid and Phil have 11 goals, Geno has 9, Horny has 6, and Jake has 5 and is more of an ES beast. But having Phil go cold, Geno being a giant band-aid wrapped dude, the rest of the powerplay is kind of just slacking. Our point shots are kind of shit right now, Schultz needs to wind up and fire those shots with pure hatred, Letang needs to stop the f***ing pump fakes and pass offs. The team needs to just shoot with anger. They're trying to do things so perfectly, to get back to being "themselves" rather than the fact that the have their backs against the walls and need to start clawing the f*** back.

Starts with some hate, hate that they're in this spot. Hate, that they're missing key guys. Hate, that they're playing hard and bad shit happens and sucks the wind out of their sails...

That kind of Hate.

The term "Hate f***" is what I would use when I say what kind of power you want to put behind a shot.

The kind of Hate f*** Geno drove through the flyers when he got flattened and was left alone on a break-away a decade ago for Cup 1. The kind of Hate f*** Sid had against the Caps to win the 1st of the back 2 backs. The kind of Hate f*** Geno had to murder the Hurricanes in that one game in Cup 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Just 20%????

I agree with your whole post, although the terrible entries are a much bigger issue for me. In zone, again I think #81's predictability and "assist hunting" is an issue. Just another player who refuses to move the puck quickly and can't one time the puck. In addition to his bad receipt of passes and poor stick-handling skills for a "skilled" player.

20% isn't what it used to be. Now that's middle of the pack.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I agree with your whole post, although the terrible entries are a much bigger issue for me. In zone, again I think #81's predictability and "assist hunting" is an issue. Just another player who refuses to move the puck quickly and can't one time the puck. In addition to his bad receipt of passes and poor stick-handling skills for a "skilled" player.

20% isn't what it used to be. Now that's middle of the pack.
I deleted it, but yeah. The issue is that teams know Phil is cold and is the playmaker on the powerplay right now, so they pressure him into flubbing a shot or dishing it back to Sid who is covered already. Horny just does his thing, without Geno there's no other guy that can dish or hammer a shot and then you have our point guys that are not keeping it simple.

I have a temper, but I hide it a lot and use it to fuel my gym time. But anyone that is also a gym rat knows, that anger gets you a few extra reps in when you think you're gassed. When I get slashed, I get pissed and the next time the puck is on my stick, that wrist shot or slap shot is getting a day's worth of hate and that slash put behind it, I want to see that from the team.

I keep thinking a really heated game will do it, but this team comes back the next game flaccid af. It's like they forget that missing the playoffs is a 100% reality if they don't bring it every game. With that said, they have been bringing it a ton lately.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Just 20%????

Edit: I had to delete what I posted...

But ideally, this is a top 5 powerplay, Sid and Phil have 11 goals, Geno has 9, Horny has 6, and Jake has 5 and is more of an ES beast. But having Phil go cold, Geno being a giant band-aid wrapped dude, the rest of the powerplay is kind of just slacking. Our point shots are kind of **** right now, Schultz needs to wind up and fire those shots with pure hatred, Letang needs to stop the ****ing pump fakes and pass offs. The team needs to just shoot with anger. They're trying to do things so perfectly, to get back to being "themselves" rather than the fact that the have their backs against the walls and need to start clawing the **** back.

Starts with some hate, hate that they're in this spot. Hate, that they're missing key guys. Hate, that they're playing hard and bad **** happens and sucks the wind out of their sails...

That kind of Hate.

The term "Hate ****" is what I would use when I say what kind of power you want to put behind a shot.

The kind of Hate **** Geno drove through the flyers when he got flattened and was left alone on a break-away a decade ago for Cup 1. The kind of Hate **** Sid had against the Caps to win the 1st of the back 2 backs. The kind of Hate **** Geno had to murder the Hurricanes in that one game in Cup 1.

"Break Stuff" by @Soggy Biscuit ...er, Limp Bizkit plays in the background of this post.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the PP would look better to us if they got more of them. Are they still bottom 5 in calls drawed?

No... by 1. 6th from bottom with 194 5 on 4s. Which, tbf, is only 12 less than the median that is Blackhawks with 206.

And we're middle of the road with 7 5 on 3s.

My big thing is its just so feast or famine. It looks great or it looks dire. It scores in streaks then goes quiet. To a certain extent that makes it look bad because we remember famines more than feasts... but the quiet streaks and the shorties are pretty crap.

Another thing that can effect form is training. I have no idea if it happens in Pittsburgh or the NHL but my Aussie Rules team I follow used to taper things off on the track and certain times of the year to try and get them at their best psychically for the finals. Had an effect on the players and the results too during the season. Probably less complicated in AFL though with only one game a week.

I think Mackey said, when we were wondering about the Letang fitness thing, that they had only a limited number of on ice practices left.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I deleted it, but yeah. The issue is that teams know Phil is cold and is the playmaker on the powerplay right now, so they pressure him into flubbing a shot or dishing it back to Sid who is covered already. Horny just does his thing, without Geno there's no other guy that can dish or hammer a shot and then you have our point guys that are not keeping it simple.

I have a temper, but I hide it a lot and use it to fuel my gym time. But anyone that is also a gym rat knows, that anger gets you a few extra reps in when you think you're gassed. When I get slashed, I get pissed and the next time the puck is on my stick, that wrist shot or slap shot is getting a day's worth of hate and that slash put behind it, I want to see that from the team.

I keep thinking a really heated game will do it, but this team comes back the next game flaccid af. It's like they forget that missing the playoffs is a 100% reality if they don't bring it every game. With that said, they have been bringing it a ton lately.

Bro, I wish you'd kept your old post before editing it. I loved it! Thankfully it lives on in my last comment (unless you want me to take that down too)

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bro, I wish you'd kept your old post before editing it. I loved it! Thankfully it lives on in my last comment (unless you want me to take that down too)
I think my ninja-edit got in before you quoted it, but now it's our secret.

SoZy7Rm.gif

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I swear, sometimes it seems like the Pens come into games with 1oo% pure ignorance with their coaching staff's preparations against who their opposition is outside of reputation. It's like teams scout our asses, but we don't scout them at all.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If this team's offense and defense could ever get on the same page, they'd be a tough out in the playoffs.

It seemed like earlier in the year offense was doing well, but the defense was horrible and giving up 4+ goals per game. Now that team defense has improved and is keeping the opposition in check for the most part, the offense has decided to disappear and can't score more than 2 goals in a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad