OT: All purpose NCAA thread v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I was going to say this yesterday. It's hard to get excited about a Senior scoring below 10 PPG but his defensive numbers are absurd.

He's the type they are going to have to look for moving forward. Non-ball dominant, athletic, potentially elite defender. My guess is they would have to take him with their own 1st if they want him.

Exactly. He's the only legit prospect with a higher STL% than Zion, closely followed by Trevelin Queen, another guy I would love. I'm afraid Thybulle won't even make it that far by the time June rolls around. I could easily see San Antonio taking him as I've seen discussed, but he's assuredly on my short list of hopes.

Hot take: I wouldn't spend 25 (or wherever they end up) on Reddish. Mocked top 5 and I'm not even sure he's a solid pro. The list of players shooting right around 50% at the rim who turn out well is miniscule. Can't finish in college and people expect him to magically turn it on when the athletes scale?

Reactions: FLYguy3911

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The one and done era is what it is, but just imagine all of these flops that would have went top 3 after their HS Senior year.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Thybulle is having a great senior year, but his frosh/soph advanced metrics are scary bad. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that managed negative ORTG-DRTG both of their first two seasons.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Thybulle is having a great senior year, but his frosh/soph advanced metrics are scary bad. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that managed negative ORTG-DRTG both of their first two seasons.
I haven't studied it enough to give you an answer but he had a better rating than Dejounte Murray (is he good or not is another question) as a freshman. As a sophomore, that was that dreadful Washington team where Fultz missed a bunch of conference games.

It probably means he won't be a star, but on this Sixers team, he probably fits like a glove. He'd be the 5th option on offense. Stand him in the corner. Shoots 85% from the line. He could be a high-end 3 and D guy.

Speaking of net ratings. Brandon Clarke is +56 this year!!! He's 1st in the country in offensive rating and 2nd in defensive rating. I'm going to guess that has never been done before. Or at least since they have been tracking it.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Clarke is a case where it feels like the mocks are overthinking things. He’s late lottery in most and and I’m baffled.

They definitely are, but what I don’t know is how relatively expected it is for a guy with his skills, especially the lack of shot creation, to ebb and flow with the team talent level. I know we’re talking degrees here, but I haven’t looked into it enough to have an opinion on it that means anything.

Going to guess you might like Okeke better then? Probably Horton-Tucker too? There are going to be legit options. I get more excited about the draft when I have so many picks in the 20s and 30s to focus on.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I was going to say this yesterday. It's hard to get excited about a Senior scoring below 10 PPG but his defensive numbers are absurd.

He's the type they are going to have to look for moving forward. Non-ball dominant, athletic, potentially elite defender. My guess is they would have to take him with their own 1st if they want him.
C'mon dude, the Sixers are gonna draft Zion Williamson after the Kangz miss the playoffs and win the lotto. Is this UDub guy 1OA pick worthy?

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
PSU had 5 wrestlers appear in the Finals; they went 3-2 tonight. The team title was clinched in the morning, I believe.

One of their second place finishers (165) was attempting his 3rd title in 3 appearances--ended up losing to a redshirt freshman and most outstanding wrestler of NCAAs. The other finalist (174) lost a close match against his rival. Their heavyweight won in his first and last tournament appearance. Pretty cool story for the senior from NJ. The other two winners (157, 197) coasted for the most part to finish out their NCAA careers. These two are among the best college wrestlers ever. They'll turn their focus to international competition as both are great at freestyle, too.

Rutgers had winners at 133 and 149, both seniors. Their 133 had transferred from PSU a couple of years ago. Tonight's victors were the first two in Rutgers history.

D2Ycyn9XcAEOn4Y.jpg:large

Nick Suriano, Rutgers, 133lb

The most outstanding wrestler is also from NJ. Altogether, I think 4/10 of the winners are from the Garden State. 8/10 winners are either from PA (1), NJ, NY (1) or PSU affiliated.

D2ZAcfBW0AAf0aQ.jpg

Most outstanding wrestler

D2Y-ZZfX0AA-_O1.jpg

Penn State Team

Last edited:

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I haven't studied it enough to give you an answer but he had a better rating than Dejounte Murray (is he good or not is another question) as a freshman. As a sophomore, that was that dreadful Washington team where Fultz missed a bunch of conference games.

It probably means he won't be a star, but on this Sixers team, he probably fits like a glove. He'd be the 5th option on offense. Stand him in the corner. Shoots 85% from the line. He could be a high-end 3 and D guy.

Speaking of net ratings. Brandon Clarke is +56 this year!!! He's 1st in the country in offensive rating and 2nd in defensive rating. I'm going to guess that has never been done before. Or at least since they have been tracking it.
I haven't studied it as intensely as when the Sixers sucked, but them having 3 decent picks this draft made me get back into it a bit this year. Unlike other years I haven't seen any mock drafts, so it will be interesting to compare come June. Since there's hundreds of players I used some qualifiers to trim the list. Thybulle did come up due to his senior season, but like I said I pushed him aside.

However, looking at him more intently he does have some nice things going for him in the advanced stats department this year. One of them is being top 10 in the country in DRTG. In the past, the following guys outplayed their draft slot made the top 10 in either O or D rating: Butler, Green, Leonard, Harrell, VanVleet, Siakam, and even Shamet. All have outplayed their pick to various degrees. Sure, there's a lot of nobody players from small schools near the top of those but if a kid with NBA draft potential is top 10 in either, he should be looked at more intently.

I do like Clarke, very impressive what he's doing, and very rare. Anthony Davis actually led the nation in both ratings back in 2012. Zion is top 5 in both.

Clarke is a case where it feels like the mocks are overthinking things. He’s late lottery in most and and I’m baffled.

They definitely are, but what I don’t know is how relatively expected it is for a guy with his skills, especially the lack of shot creation, to ebb and flow with the team talent level. I know we’re talking degrees here, but I haven’t looked into it enough to have an opinion on it that means anything.

Going to guess you might like Okeke better then? Probably Horton-Tucker too? There are going to be legit options. I get more excited about the draft when I have so many picks in the 20s and 30s to focus on.
Yeah, I do like Okeke. No to Horton-Tucker, I actually like his teammate Haliburton a lot more than him. When the tournament is over I'm going to finish up my list and then wait to see who stays in school. This draft reminds me of 2016. A clear stud at the top, Barrett as solid #2 like Ingram, and then all hell breaks loose.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeah, I do like Okeke. No to Horton-Tucker, I actually like his teammate Haliburton a lot more than him. When the tournament is over I'm going to finish up my list and then wait to see who stays in school. This draft reminds me of 2016. A clear stud at the top, Barrett as solid #2 like Ingram, and then all hell breaks loose.

Hailburton's a guy I like too. I have the idea in my head that he's not as good defensively on the ball as Thybulle and can be a bit more of a gambler, but it's early and I haven't gone back to watch outside of real time broadcasts yet. It's all NFL draft for me until that's over, then I look at the numbers and use them as a list to go back and watch who passes some rough thresholds and interests me.

Even if I didn't like his game, Haliburton shooting 86%+ (albeit on ~22% of his shots) at the rim would make me go back and look at him again. I do need to see why he only took 14 Shots (and made 12) at the rim in half court situations. It could just be a strength issue.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Hailburton's a guy I like too. I have the idea in my head that he's not as good defensively on the ball as Thybulle and can be a bit more of a gambler, but it's early and I haven't gone back to watch outside of real time broadcasts yet. It's all NFL draft for me until that's over, then I look at the numbers and use them as a list to go back and watch who passes some rough thresholds and interests me.

Even if I didn't like his game, Haliburton shooting 86%+ (albeit on ~22% of his shots) at the rim would make me go back and look at him again. I do need to see why he only took 14 Shots (and made 12) at the rim in half court situations. It could just be a strength issue.
Does he have any draft buzz? He's excelling in an off ball role for sure. Tremendous scoring efficiency with most shots coming from three, has a 4.5 assist/turnover ratio, great steal and block numbers. All as a skinny freshman in a good conference.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I haven't studied it as intensely as when the Sixers sucked, but them having 3 decent picks this draft made me get back into it a bit this year. Unlike other years I haven't seen any mock drafts, so it will be interesting to compare come June. Since there's hundreds of players I used some qualifiers to trim the list. Thybulle did come up due to his senior season, but like I said I pushed him aside.
I think the interesting study with Thybulle is how much his numbers have benefited from the zone defense brought over by Hopkins.

I do like Clarke, very impressive what he's doing, and very rare. Anthony Davis actually led the nation in both ratings back in 2012. Zion is top 5 in both.
I knew Davis was great at UK but now looking back at the numbers, I didn't realize how great he was.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Does he have any draft buzz? He's excelling in an off ball role for sure. Tremendous scoring efficiency with most shots coming from three, has a 4.5 assist/turnover ratio, great steal and block numbers. All as a skinny freshman in a good conference.

The mainstream outlets mostly have him as a late 20s-40s guy. I would say Draft Twitter is higher on him than that in general, but most expect him to go back for another year.

The trendy thing to do is comp him to a weaker, more agile Lonzo -- shoots a super high % at the rim in half court and out of PnR on low shot totals because he only takes them when wide open, phenomenal vision, etc.

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
PSU had 5 wrestlers appear in the Finals; they went 3-2 tonight. The team title was clinched in the morning, I believe.

One of their second place finishers (165) was attempting his 3rd title in 3 appearances--ended up losing to a redshirt freshman and most outstanding wrestler of NCAAs. The other finalist (174) lost a close match against his rival. Their heavyweight won in his first and last tournament appearance. Pretty cool story for the senior from NJ. The other two winners (157, 197) coasted for the most part to finish out their NCAA careers. These two are among the best college wrestlers ever. They'll turn their focus to international competition as both are great at freestyle, too.

Rutgers had winners at 133 and 149, both seniors. Their 133 had transferred from PSU a couple of years ago. Tonight's victors were the first two in Rutgers history.

D2Ycyn9XcAEOn4Y.jpg:large

Nick Suriano, Rutgers, 133lb

The most outstanding wrestler is also from NJ. Altogether, I think 4/10 of the winners are from the Garden State. 8/10 winners are either from PA (1), NJ, NY (1) or PSU affiliated.

D2ZAcfBW0AAf0aQ.jpg

Most outstanding wrestler

D2Y-ZZfX0AA-_O1.jpg

Penn State Team
I feel it's my duty to state that the redshirt freshman who whipped PSU's Vincenzo Joseph for the 165lb national championship (and also won most outstanding wrestler) is Mekhi Lewis from Virginia Tech. He is our program's first NCAA champion, and was the 8th(!) seed in the tournament. Kid has a great future ahead of him it seems.

Reactions: wankstifier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad