OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread Part IV (Summer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Auburn and finished 2nd in their division because of it.

And who did Auburn beat?

Alabama deserved to be there, to not have them would be a travesty.

It wasn't a case of Ohio State losing to Virginia Tech at home or a two loss Penn State team who won the conference on a technicality over Ohio State.

Last edited:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
And who did Auburn beat?

Alabama deserved to be there, to not have them would be a travesty.

It wasn't a case of Ohio State losing to Virginia Tech at home or a two loss Penn State team who won the conference on a technicality over Ohio State.
Ohio State played a harder schedule last year than Alabama. They had 2 loses, one against a top 5 team out of conference, but also two wins against top 10 teams which Alabama didn’t have. They also won their conference. I don’t think it was clear cut as to who had a better regular season. Does one more loss trump two better victories? If Ohio State doesn’t schedule Oklahoma, they are in the playoffs. That’s a bad system.

I want to take the human element out of it and let the teams decide. There is too much bias in college football toward the big brands.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Ohio State played a harder schedule last year than Alabama. They had 2 loses, one against a top 5 team out of conference, but also two wins against top 10 teams which Alabama didn’t have. They also won their conference. I don’t think it was clear cut as to who had a better regular season. Does one more loss trump two better victories? If Ohio State doesn’t schedule Oklahoma, they are in the playoffs. That’s a bad system.

I want to take the human element out of it and let the teams decide. There is too much bias in college football toward the big brands.

When you lose to Iowa by 31 you don’t deserve to be in the Playoff it’s as simple as that. I personally wouldn’t have put them in the playoff even if they didn’t play Oklahoma and won that game against another team.

Having teams that lose to teams like Iowa make a playoff cheapens the regular season. Don’t lose to bad teams and you’ll have a chance at the end of the season if you have one loss. Last year the playoff was pretty clear cut IMO.

Reactions: renberg

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
When you lose to Iowa by 31 you don’t deserve to be in the Playoff it’s as simple as that. I personally wouldn’t have put them in the playoff even if they didn’t play Oklahoma and won that game against another team.

Having teams that lose to teams like Iowa make a playoff cheapens the regular season. Don’t lose to bad teams and you’ll have a chance at the end of the season if you have one loss. Last year the playoff was pretty clear cut IMO.
You are creating a situation where loses mean more than wins so there is no impetus to play anybody out of conference. Teams can just skate by on their conference schedules and some conferences are significantly harder to go undefeated in depending on the year. IMO the regular season is cheapened when a team that doesn’t win its division let alone its conference can win the national championship. Where is the logic in that?

The blowout nature looks awful but Iowa at home isn’t a bad team. They have beaten 4 of the last 5 top 5 ranked teams that visisted Kinnick stadium and the one they lost happens last year on the last play of the game. It is a very tough place to play. And that is my biggest problem with the current system because there is no accurate way to judge conference strength. Going 10-2 with a hard schedule is as good or better as going 11-1 with an easy one IMO.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
IMO the regular season is cheapened when a team that doesn’t win its division let alone its conference can win the national championship. Where is the logic in that?

It follows more solid logic than saying two of the best four teams can’t play in the same conference by definition.

This isn’t Central Florida. This is Alabama that went out and was the typical most talented team in the country and knows it Alabama for the entire regular season, then happened to lose one VERY tough game on the road at the end of the year.

I would love to see them stop scheduling teams like Mercer and I’m all for dinging them on ties because of it, but every argument that tries to justify them not making it in last year comes down to technicalities. They were one of the best 4 teams. There’s no need to overcomplicate it.

Last edited:

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
I personally think they should go to a 8 team playoff with the 5 conference champions getting an automatic berth and 3 at large bids.

I would also do the same for the group of 5 schools kind of like the NIT but the at large bids being eligible for the at large bids. Also if a group of 5 team is deemed good enough the they get an at large in the main playoff.

Reactions: Pantokrator

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It follows more solid logic than saying two of the best four teams can’t play in the same conference by definition.

This isn’t Central Florida. This is Alabama that went out and was the typical most talented team in the country and knows it Alabama for the entire regular season, then happened to lose one VERY tough game on the road at the end of the year.

I would love to see them stop scheduling teams like Mercer and I’m all for dinging them on ties because of it, but every argument that tries to justify them not making it in last year comes down to technicalities. They were one of the best 4 teams. There’s no need to overcomplicate it.

I still laugh at the committee trying to beef up LSU & Mississippi State late in the rankings for Alabama’s sake. :laugh:

It is what it is but I get the frustration with the committee moving goal posts every year to what matters & doesn’t. I think at this point any conference/team playing 9 conference games, no FCS opponents, & more than 1 P5 OOC game is just willingly handcuffing itself for no real good reason when there isn’t a uniformed standard across the board.

Last edited:

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Basically what @LegionOfDoom91 said.

The committee has picked the 4 teams it wants, then justified it after the fact for why those teams belonged in. What gets a team in this year, will not the next year, but because the bell-cow must arrive at the show, Alabama has made the playoffs all 4 years it's existed. The four best teams is one thing, Alabama and the 3 best non-Alabama schools is another. Last year was the first year for the committee to show some gumption and leave Alabama at home, and they wouldn't have had a reason to complain about it, no division championship, ergo no conference championship.

2017 NCAA Football National Champions - UNDEFEATED UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I still laugh at the committee trying to beef up LSU & Mississippi State late in the rankings for Alabama’s sake. :laugh:

It is what it is but I get the frustration with the committee moving goal posts every year to what matters & doesn’t. I think at this point any conference/team playing 9 conference games, no FCS opponents, & more than 1 P5 OOC game is just willingly handcuffing itself for no real good reason when there isn’t a uniformed standard across the board.

Oh yeah, that was a joke. There’s no reason to do any of those gymnastics. If you want to put Alabama in because you thought they were one of the best 4 teams in the country, just say that. It’s completely defensible and an entirely separate issue from having the best season.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
When a team has dominated college football the way Alabama has the last ten years they're going to get the benefit of doubt from the voting committee. If anything, I thought Clemson was the most overrated team by the committee last year. They had by far the worse loss of any of the contenders, but it was seemingly forgotten because their QB got hurt. Clemson should be able to beat Syracuse with any of the QB's on their roster. Their signature win was also against a much different Auburn team than the one that beat Georgia and Bama late in the season. I wasn't surprised when they were exposed in the semifinal game.

OSU blew their good grace two years ago by getting blown out against Clemson after being selected despite not playing in the B1G conference championship.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I honestly couldn’t care less UCF didn’t make it. They weren’t beating Clemson, Oklahoma, or Georgia nonetheless two of them. It worked out better for them anyway as they can now celebrate their fake championship.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Basically what @LegionOfDoom91 said.

The committee has picked the 4 teams it wants, then justified it after the fact for why those teams belonged in. What gets a team in this year, will not the next year, but because the bell-cow must arrive at the show, Alabama has made the playoffs all 4 years it's existed. The four best teams is one thing, Alabama and the 3 best non-Alabama schools is another. Last year was the first year for the committee to show some gumption and leave Alabama at home, and they wouldn't have had a reason to complain about it, no division championship, ergo no conference championship.

2017 NCAA Football National Champions - UNDEFEATED UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA!

Was that pun intentional?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
When a team has dominated college football the way Alabama has the last ten years they're going to get the benefit of doubt from the voting committee. If anything, I thought Clemson was the most overrated team by the committee last year. They had by far the worse loss of any of the contenders, but it was seemingly forgotten because their QB got hurt. Clemson should be able to beat Syracuse with any of the QB's on their roster. Their signature win was also against a much different Auburn team than the one that beat Georgia and Bama late in the season. I wasn't surprised when they were exposed in the semifinal game.

OSU blew their good grace two years ago by getting blown out against Clemson after being selected despite not playing in the B1G conference championship.

There’s such a small percentage of teams from year to year that truly have an NC caliber roster these days. Some people just don’t like it but there’s a strong correlation with these teams & the recruiting rankings. Teams that average classes through a 4-5 year period outside of the top ten don’t win NC’s, teams that do that do. Cinderella stories just don’t happen to that degree. Michigan State & Washington two schools that were outside that threshold got ran over by Alabama in the first round.

It’s honestly probably worse than ever because there’s such a small percentage of schools that are essentially signing all the blue-chip prospects every year. Roster turnover is so much quicker for various reasons than it’s ever been essentially allowing these same teams to sign 20-25 kids every year.

That’s why I really don’t care about expanding it much & I say that as a fan of a team that’s been on the cusp the last two years. We just didn’t have the horses in the trenches & the front seven on defense to truly beat those teams. Fortunately that’s starting to change though.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
There’s such a small percentage of teams from year to year that truly have an NC caliber roster these days. Some people just don’t like it but there’s a strong correlation with these teams & the recruiting rankings. Teams that average classes through a 4-5 year period outside of the top ten don’t win NC’s, teams that do that do. Cinderella stories just don’t happen to that degree.
I agree to a point. Boise State beating Oklahoma and Penn State beating Miami back in the 80’s are two examples of inferior talented teams winning in high profile matchups. I have serious doubts that could happen two games in a row but it definitely could happen in one game with some creative coaching.

I would like to see a mid major outside the power five get a shot but it will never happen. It would take an 8 team setup and that is one of the reasons I doubt it will ever be expanded. The big 5 would have to allow a mid major in and thus share the wealth or face an anti-trust like the were threatened with during the BCS years.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
There’s such a small percentage of teams from year to year that truly have an NC caliber roster these days. Some people just don’t like it but there’s a strong correlation with these teams & the recruiting rankings. Teams that average classes through a 4-5 year period outside of the top ten don’t win NC’s, teams that do that do. Cinderella stories just don’t happen to that degree. Michigan State & Washington two schools that were outside that threshold got ran over by Alabama in the first round.

It’s honestly probably worse than ever because there’s such a small percentage of schools that are essentially signing all the blue-chip prospects every year. Roster turnover is so much quicker for various reasons than it’s ever been essentially allowing these same teams to sign 20-25 kids every year.

That’s why I really don’t care about expanding it much & I say that as a fan of a team that’s been on the cusp the last two years. We just didn’t have the horses in the trenches & the front seven on defense to truly beat those teams. Fortunately that’s starting to change though.
Yeah, I've said it on here before, but I don't see anyone outside of Bama, UGA, Clemson, OSU, or PSU winning a national championship within the next 5 years. Teams like Texas and Florida have the ability to jump into that group, but it's going to take a couple of years. Teams like USC, Michigan, and Washington all have great players, but they lack the depth to really compete with that top tier in a playoff game.

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
I can still taste the alcohol from the celebration that night. It wasn't as fun next season when they came to our stadium and promptly injured our QB en route to a blowout lol.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The sad pizza game might be my favorite Ohio State loss of all time just because it brought this gif.

urban-meyer-sad-pizza.gif

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I personally think they should go to a 8 team playoff with the 5 conference champions getting an automatic berth and 3 at large bids.

I would also do the same for the group of 5 schools kind of like the NIT but the at large bids being eligible for the at large bids. Also if a group of 5 team is deemed good enough the they get an at large in the main playoff.

I think this makes the most sense. I don't know of any case where a team outside of the top 8 legitimately felt like they deserved to be National Champs, but I have seen teams at #5 and 6 who really seemed like they were as good as the #3 or 4 team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
VT apparently had a true freshmen DT quit because of the conditioning after two months of being on campus. VT apparently needed him to play some & was grooming him to see the field this year. He’s opting to transfer but I can’t imagine there will be too much interest out there as there really isn’t a positive way to spin this for the kid.

His name is Cam Goode. He was a short DT but was a high 3* with a decent offer list & played in the UA All-American Game. So not exactly a kid you would think would throw in the towel that quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad