OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread Part IV (Summer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It’s early but Steve Wiltfong (247’s top recruiting analyst) put in a crystal ball for 2020 5* DL Bryan Bresee out of Maryland who’s the #1 player in the country in their rankings & the composite rankings.

He’s got legitimate offers from everybody so he can operate on his own timeline & take it all the way to the finish line for his cycle if he pleases.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I honestly laugh when media pundits bring him up as evidence of the growing strength for the Big Ten in coaching. He’s won 5 games in the last two years there. :laugh:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Funny how things change in recruiting. Two months ago, UGA fans were ready to run Tray Scott out of Athens, despite having the #1 DE and another top 20 DE recruit in the country committed. He adds the #1 DT today after adding a project DE last week, and he's back to being a one of the best in the country. Yeesh.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Would anyone really want a 16 team playoff? It keeps getting talked about but beyond like the logistics of making it happen which could cause a hurdle like from a pure entertainment standpoint would it even be good?

This would have been the top sixteen teams from last year at the end of the college playoff rankings:

1. Clemson 12-1
2. Oklahoma 12-1
3. Georgia 12-1
4. Alabama 11-1
5. Ohio State 11-2
6. Wisconsin 12-1
7. Auburn 10-3
8. USC 11-2
9. Penn State 10-2
10. Miami 10-2
11. Washington 10-2
12. UCF 12-0
13. Stanford 9-4
14. Notre Dame 9-3
15. TCU 10-3
16. Michigan State 9-3

I’m assuming conference championships wouldn’t matter at all at that point as winning one of the P5 conferences should be good enough to get into the top 16. It probably would have to be eliminated if anything to downsize the amount of games played.

It just seems watered down to me & minimizing everything before then too much. I’m cool with how it is now but I think eight is really the only sensible number that you can expand to at this point if you ever do.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Conference Championship games are already pretty useless.

Don't know how I'd feel about a 16 team playoff. I think I'd like to see it. Get more fanbases involved.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I’m all for longer playoffs because I’d rather have more games to watch, but it’s a step further away from the best team winning. I completely understand hating expanding it at all.

16 is a ton, though. 8 is probably the sweet spot for me. You’re likely only consistently losing the SEC Title Game’s meaning at that point.

Basically I just want room for cases like 2016 USC that crapped the bed early on against very tough competition but was a legit top tier team by the end of the year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’m all for longer playoffs because I’d rather have more games to watch, but it’s a step further away from the best team winning. I completely understand hating expanding it at all.

16 is a ton, though. 8 is probably the sweet spot for me. You’re likely only consistently losing the SEC Title Game’s meaning at that point.

Basically I just want room for cases like 2016 USC that crapped the bed early on against very tough competition but was a legit top tier team by the end of the year.

I think the logistics honestly ruins any chance of a 16 team field playoff. I don’t really think there’s anyway they can add more potential total games than what they have now with 14-15 games the four playoff teams will have typically played by the end. The NCAA just can’t swing it anymore with making things that add to their already benefit with the player pay issue. They’re slowly caving in if anything at this point. So they’d probably have to decrease regular season games on top of the conference championship games to work the numbers. The 16 team playoff essentially kills any intriguing bowl games that we still do get today under the current format as well. So from a business model it honestly might not even be really that worth it for them.

I think from an entertainment standpoint it not only waters down the whole thing with 16 teams but you can lose three/four games in the regular season & still possibly make it. It makes regular season matchups mean less than it does now too. I mean like Penn State plays Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, & Wisconsin this year. If they go .500 there & don’t have any slips up elsewhere it still very likely isn’t going to be good enough. But under 16 teams it certainly would be. We’ve seen some blowouts already even with the four team playoff so do you really need a field out 16 to establish who the best is? 8 teams I can see maybe to leave no doubt if a situation like you referenced comes up but I’m still fine with what we got personally but I think 8 would be the absolute limit I could expand to.

Regardless if they expand or not I think the P5 conferences really need to start getting on the same page with scheduling. It’s never going to be perfect as the strength of conferences can change from year to year but a uniformed policy on 8-9 conference games, FCS games or not?, & how many P5 OOC games do we schedule would at least make comparing résumés a little easier than it currently is.

Last edited:
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I think the logistics honestly ruins any chance of a 16 team field playoff. I don’t really think there’s anyway they can add more potential total games than what they have now with 14-15 games the four playoff teams will have typically played by the end. The NCAA just can’t swing it anymore with making things that add to their already benefit with the player pay issue. They’re slowly caving in if anything at this point. So they’d probably have to decrease regular season games on top of the conference championship games to work the numbers. The 16 team playoff essentially kills any intriguing bowl games that we still do get today under the current format as well. So from a business model it honestly might not even be really that worth it for them.

I think from an entertainment standpoint it not only waters down the whole thing with 16 teams but you can lose three/four games in the regular season & still possibly make it. It makes regular season matchups mean less than it does now too. I mean like Penn State plays Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, & Wisconsin this year. If they go .500 there & don’t have any slips up elsewhere it still very likely isn’t going to be good enough. But under 16 teams it certainly would be. We’ve seen some blowouts already even with the four team playoff so do you really need a field out 16 to establish who the best is? 8 teams I can see maybe to leave no doubt if a situation like you referenced comes up but I’m still fine with what we got personally but I think 8 would be the absolute limit I could expand to.

Regardless if they expand or not I think the P5 conferences really need to start getting on the same page with scheduling. It’s never going to be perfect as the strength of conferences can change from year to year but a uniformed policy on 8-9 conference games, FCS games or not?, & how many P5 OOC games do we schedule would at least make comparing résumés a little easier than it currently is.

I went back and looked at the polls from 2016 because I had a hunch that turned out to be true — USC wasn’t in the top 8 in the final December version of either poll. That 2016 USC team was as corner case as it can possibly get — Alabama, at Stanford, and at Utah losing on a 15-play 93 yard drive in the first 4 weeks, plus a QB change to a redshirt Freshman. What I want is better voting and no amount of teams is going to fix that.

16 just seems impossible from every angle. Maybe what I actually want is 6. It might cost you one conference title game a year in the case of something like an undefeated Alabama vs a 2 Loss Georgia, but you’re still at a point where being in the top 2 matters. Corner cases can suffer at the expense of making us all suffer through Alabama against a 3 Loss Wisconsin like would have happened in 2016. There’s really no need for that.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Looking back at it so far we’ve had some uncompetitive playoffs games every year so far.

2014-2015:
2 Oregon 59; 3 Florida State 20
4 Ohio State 42; 1 Alabama 35
4 Ohio State 42; 2 Oregon 20

2015-2016:
1 Clemson 37; 4 Oklahoma 17
2 Alabama 38; 3 Michigan State 0
2 Alabama 45; 1 Clemson 40

2016-2017:
2 Clemson 31; 3 Ohio State 0
1 Alabama 24; 4 Washington 7
2 Clemson 35; 1 Alabama 31

2017-2018:
3 Georgia 54; 2 Oklahoma 48
4 Alabama 24; 1 Clemson 6
4 Alabama 26; 3 Georgia 23 (OT)

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I’m all for longer playoffs because I’d rather have more games to watch, but it’s a step further away from the best team winning.
This is such a weird concept unique to college football. No one ever questions whether the winner in any other sport with a playoff was the best team that year. Only in college football are people worried about the best team not winning in the playoffs. The more it’s decided on the field and the less it’s decided by a committe of guys with various biases and agendas the better.

IMO the playoffs don’t need to be expanded but instead the leagues need to be contracted down into 4 conferences with only the winners making the playoffs. That way conference schedules and championship games matter and it prevents teams that don’t win their division, like Alabama did twice, from be considered national champions.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Only considering conference results isn't going to make teams schedule tougher OOC opponents which sucks for the fans.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Only considering conference results isn't going to make teams schedule tougher OOC opponents which sucks for the fans.
That is a possible consequence but you would only be talking about a handful of games. Some of the games would be preserved regardless because of the high payout of early season neutral sight games. Some would still be maintained because they are regional rivalries like FSU and Florida. The rest would be made up with better conference games because with consolidation, only the top schools would be taken.

An example: Oklahoma joins the SEC. If they moved by themselves, Texas would be moved to an OOC game while adding a full SEC schedule. Is that worse for fans compared to their currently schedule with UCLA as the big OOC game and a lackluster Big 12 conference schedule?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If the goal is to find the best team, I don't see how any system that takes 2017 Alabama out of the playoffs is a good thing and I'm a Georgia fan.

This is such a weird concept unique to college football. No one ever questions whether the winner in any other sport with a playoff was the best team that year. Only in college football are people worried about the best team not winning in the playoffs.

I think we travel in different circles because I only hear more people say things to the effect of the best team doesn't always win championships.

The Caps were assuredly not the best team in hockey last year and that's not taking anything away from them at all because that's how every sport works. A system like the Premier League is probably the closest we have to finding out who the best team actually is, but the US likes playoffs and I doubt that ever changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If the goal is to find the best team, I don't see how any system that takes 2017 Alabama out of the playoffs is a good thing and I'm a Georgia fan.
Who did Alabama beat last year before the playoffs? LSU was their best regular season win and they lost to Troy.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
big-ten-logo-divisions-03.jpg

Seeing the people cry over the unbalanced divisions in the Big Ten now were probably the same that complained about the corny division names a few years ago. :laugh:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I think six (with the top two getting a bye) is the best way to go. That way all of the P5 conference winners get a bid, plus an extra spot for a scenario like Alabama this year, or even a non P5 team that went undefeated. But I can also get into the best 6, regardless of conference winners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad