OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread Part IV (Summer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I’m not saying he couldn’t have succeeded there from an individual standpoint (he had like 700 REC yards as a true freshman) but he wouldn’t have been winning **** as a team there though.
The big thing for a player like him is PT. At Cal, he'd get that. At UGA with all of the talent that they have there, he'll struggle to match what he'd get at Cal. UGA is loaded; potential National Champs. There are going to be a lot of talented guys there that won't see much time on the field starting with QB.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
He wanted to go to Stanford, but didn't qualify. Georgia always has a couple of kids a cycle that desperately want to get out of the state, and he always seemed the type. I guess he wasn't having any luck with the west coast chicks.

Apparently, the big rumor is that he won't get immediate eligibility, he'll sit out the year, and just declare for the draft in the spring anyway. That would certainly be a fitting end to the entire DRob saga

Reactions: renberg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The big thing for a player like him is PT. At Cal, he'd get that. At UGA with all of the talent that they have there, he'll struggle to match what he'd get at Cal. UGA is loaded; potential National Champs. There are going to be a lot of talented guys there that won't see much time on the field starting with QB.

Meh by going back to Georgia that would seem to indicate depth chart/competition isn’t a big issue & this is one of the top players in the country coming out of high school too so it’s not like he just emerged as a somebody. If he’s allowed to play right away he’ll play a lot whether he’s Georgia’s WR1 or not. WR like most positions not named QB & OL are pretty rotated these days.

Fans make a bigger deal out of PT & depth chart watching then seemingly the kids do as it’s the same schools finishing top 5-10 in recruiting every year.

You always have a few kids turn down big schools to go to mid-tier schools but it’s typically to schools in the general vicinity of where the player is from. Not on the complete other side of the country like this kid. Maryland for example usually benefits with kids from the DMV for that reason.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I can't take Ed Orgeron seriously with his voice. :laugh:

SecretDemandingHorsefly-max-1mb.gif

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’m starting to get the itch bad. Camps should be starting up soon.

I’m sitting here watching the SEC college football live & it’s crazy how many new coaches in the league there are.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Same. I'll admit that I watched a good amount of the SEC Media Day coverage from today when I got home from work. At least it's not a complete knob job to Saban anymore in Atlanta.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Does he have to "walk on" like Hurst? I've never understood the rules on how a professional athlete can go back to the NCAA for another sport.

Reactions: Cody Webster

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Does he have to "walk on" like Hurst? I've never understood the rules on how a professional athlete can go back to the NCAA for another sport.

Yeah he’ll have to walk-on. I don’t know exactly when the rule was tweaked but you’re allowed to return to college & play so long as it’s not the sport you profited on.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Depends on the contract but MLB clubs generally pick up the tabs when high school signees end up going to college.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I think it'll help the mid-major programs more than anyone. The idea of a developmental player is pretty much a dead concept at the big schools anymore. If a player is not in the two deep by his third year, he's likely a transfer, red shirt of or not. Guys are getting recruited over in one cycle these days at programs like UGA, Bama, and PSU.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think it'll help the mid-major programs more than anyone. The idea of a developmental player is pretty much a dead concept at the big schools anymore. If a player is not in the two deep by his third year, he's likely a transfer, red shirt of or not. Guys are getting recruited over in one cycle these days at programs like UGA, Bama, and PSU.

I hear you though I think it helps with injuries & guys you’re on the fence about playing breaking out of camp with.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Having gone to NC State, he should go to a different school. We are the school that told Russell Wilson to go elsewhere if he wanted to play both football AND baseball. Although the pressure would be MUCH less than LSU or Auburn.
Well they also had Mike Glennon then. Which I know sounds laughable now, but he was a pretty big recruit for them.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Having gone to NC State, he should go to a different school. We are the school that told Russell Wilson to go elsewhere if he wanted to play both football AND baseball. Although the pressure would be MUCH less than LSU or Auburn.

He’s done playing baseball. It’s like a Brandon Weeden/Hayden Hurst situation where he fizzled out in the minors for baseball & is now coming back to try out football late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad