OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread Part IV (Summer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Probably thinking the can swing it after Tom Izzo survived after calls for his job not long ago. So I think that might be the angle but I don’t think it’s going to work if they go down that road. Brett McMurphy claims to have more bullets in the chamber & I think he’s just waiting for their next move again. He’s basically admitted he’s taken it personally after Meyer called him a liar at the Big Ten Media Day.

And yet he's still unemployed.

Thanks a lot, ESPN.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Any sense that Meyer and OSU just carry on as if it's no big deal? I can't see the school canning him.

Gene Smith the AD there got thrown under the bus by Meyer in that statement & in interviews from Zach Smith today. So that seems to be the play for now by at least Meyer. Not sure if it’s the smartest play but Meyer hasn’t exactly been making some great chess moves throughout this.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Zach Smith ESPN interview was cringeworthy. I really don’t know who the hell advised him that would be a good idea. He’s dumb as a box of rocks & didn’t exactly do himself any favors with his answers.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I really don't see how they bring him back. Him throwing Gene Smith under the bus is just to save himself from being fired with cause.

OSU cut ties with Tressel quickly because there was more to the story than what officially came out, and I have a feeling that's what will happen here. The only difference is that at least part of the fanbase wanted Tressel gone before he was fired (for underachieving). Urb is practically a deity in Ohio.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I really don't see how they bring him back. Him throwing Gene Smith under the bus is just to save himself from being fired with cause.

OSU cut ties with Tressel quickly because there was more to the story than what officially came out, and I have a feeling that's what will happen here. The only difference is that at least part of the fanbase wanted Tressel gone before he was fired (for underachieving). Urb is practically a deity in Ohio.

They’ll be fine but still it’s going to be tough to replace Meyer. It’s not going to be like last time where Meyer was a free agent with obvious ties there & they ended up getting an upgrade over Tressel though.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It all depends on how their higher ups feel about the PR & whether it’s worth the squeeze. They know they’ll get a good coach when they start a search (more than likely will have to wait until the offseason). The fans will be mad initially but they’re suckers like any large sports fan base. As long as they win the fans will show up. Their roster is still loaded so it’s not like it will be rebuild for whoever the next coach is even if it’s after this season.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It all depends on how their higher ups feel about the PR & whether it’s worth the squeeze. They know they’ll get a good coach when they start a search (more than likely will have to wait until the offseason). The fans will be mad initially but they’re suckers like any large sports fan base. As long as they win the fans will show up. Their roster is still loaded so it’s not like it will be rebuild for whoever the next coach is even if it’s after this season.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I agree with LOD but Meyer is making a power play in the middle of this mess. If he can trash the AD, he’s king of the hill.
It will be interesting to see if the OSU administration will let him get away with this. If he does, Smith and the school PsTB are finished and it’s football U at Columbus. There are some wheels at OSU that are willing to support Meyer all the way in this.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
i was wondering why kirk herbstreet wasn't on espn screaming for meyer's head like he was for paterno's everyday. i wonder how many coaches were fired under the watch of the current higher ups. the ncaa is a joke they let these colleges investigate themselves and then set the punnishment.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
It's going to be a really bad look when the NCAA suspends UNC players for as many as four games for selling their own sneakers, while Urb will get two games for covering up his assistant beating the hell out of his wife.

Urb really should consider running for office. The spin job on this thing was a work of art, and he played the fanbase's desire to win football games against any sense of morality. Well, we know where OSU fans stand.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's going to be a really bad look when the NCAA suspends UNC players for as many as four games for selling their own sneakers, while Urb will get two games for covering up his assistant beating the hell out of his wife.

Urb really should consider running for office. The spin job on this thing was a work of art, and he played the fanbase's desire to win football games against any sense of morality. Well, we know where OSU fans stand.

Meyer’s flying in Gene Smith’s brother as we speak.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: gertbfrobe16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: