Rumor: All purpose Kessel trade rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The question arises does our rookie point-man-on-trades/de facto "GM" have enough experience and moxie to finesse the other more experienced kids in the playground? I rather doubt the staring down approach is going to work. Just saying....

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
I don't see Florida as even a serious contender in the Kessel game. The Leafs are asking for exactly what they should- he's worth a lot. Bottom line- Florida could use Phil, but they can't afford him. Pass.

Other options are out there. Wouldn't surprise me if the management team is working on deals that haven't been speculated on much in the media. That seems to be their PR credo- keep em' guessing.
Dallas? Winnipeg? Get creative with it. Long as the Leafs aren't giving any Shanahandouts I'm happy.

Swayze*

I don't see Florida as even a serious contender in the Kessel game. The Leafs are asking for exactly what they should- he's worth a lot. Bottom line- Florida could use Phil, but they can't afford him. Pass.

Other options are out there. Wouldn't surprise me if the management team is working on deals that haven't been speculated on much in the media. That seems to be their PR credo- keep em' guessing.
Dallas? Winnipeg? Get creative with it. Long as the Leafs aren't giving any Shanahandouts I'm happy.

You dont know what they are asking so how can you make that statement?

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
Kessel is a big name, and an elite scorer. Any potential contender, which is skilled defensively would be interested.
I don't know what they're asking, but I think we all have a rough idea. Prospects, high picks (whether in the upcoming, or 2016 drafts) and a roster player/cap dump, depending on the individual pieces involved.
The Leafs can get creative, I think. Kessel will draw interest, not all teams have soured on him like the Leafs have.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Like Rick Nash in 2012? Who was rumoured to be on the block in the 2011-2012 season leading up to the trade deadline and into the off-season where Columbus held out for fair market value .. This ended up going past the draft, past July 1st until a trade finally was put together with the Rangers in late July 2012

A Kessel deal will be made when the package coming back the other way makes sense .. Has nothing to do with being a world class player or not

They were restricted to only dealing with NYR, Kessel's NTC isn't as restrictive and he'll probably expand it, I believe Nash ended up having 4 teams on his list and only NYR was interested.

Kessel should get a bigger package based on playoff performance(ppg in 21 games vs. no playoff experience) and more competition of trade partners

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

the toronto maple leafs seem intent on getting a good cachet in return for their top scorer, whether it’s at the nhl draft or afterward. And good on them for doing that. Of course they should try to get all they can for phil kessel, who could very well go on to another destination where there’s less scrutiny and be a consistent 40-goal scorer and solid contributor.

yes, the leafs should try to extract as much as they can, but they should also be prepared, if they’ve decided kessel no longer has a future in the organization, to let him go for very little. Even next to nothing. The point is, the leafs will get something for him, but if they’ve decided they’re going to deal him, they should take the best deal available to them, even if they’re not crazy about the return. With a limited list of teams to which kessel will accept a trade, some of those without the cap space needed to acquire him, the leafs don’t have near as much leverage as it appears.

Because what they get in return for trading phil kessel, and this cannot be stressed enough, is $8 million in cap space for each of the next seven seasons. The leafs are focused on the future and there are three foundations for a team when it comes to building your roster – prospects, draft picks and cap space. And none of them is more or less important than the others.

People have for too long undervalued salary cap space as the important asset it is. And that’s why the leafs might not get as much for kessel as they think they’ll get. If the leafs want to get out of this contract without taking someone else’s junk – a bad contract that their trading partner wants to unload – or having to eat some of the cap space, they can make the deal, but they’d better be prepared to adjust their expectations.

Get little or nothing for phil kessel? Yeah, you have to swallow hard before you make that transaction. But think of it this way. If somehow things go south between the tampa bay lightning and steven stamkos this summer – and if speculation that the lightning might offer stamkos $100 million over eight years is right, that won’t happen – would you not want to have the flexibility to be able to offer stamkos a seven-year deal at $12.5 million or $13 million a year? No way you’re able to do that if you keep kessel or have to take on a significant chunk of his cap commitment.

depending upon the way you look at it, the leafs are in no rush to have to trade kessel. His production during the last half of the season has undoubtedly dropped his trade value. So the leafs could conceivably start next season with him and wait until december to make a deal. If after the first game he has 20 goals, the leafs will have a more valuable commodity on their hands.

But then there’s the school of thought that if you’re intent on turning the page and building your team on the foundation of prospects, young players and draft picks, does it not make sense to make the break with kessel sooner rather than later? And what if kessel plays those first 30 games and has only seven goals instead? That would put the leafs in an even less enviable position than they are now.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
obviously not as much as the Leafs. :laugh:

I find it funny that someone has to go to the trouble of tweeting "don't seem interested".
Excuse me but if you weren't interested, there would be nothing to tweet in the first place.

Chicago is not interested.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I find it funny that someone has to go to the trouble of tweeting "don't seem interested".
Excuse me but if you weren't interested, there would be nothing to tweet in the first place.

Chicago is not interested.

:laugh: exactly.

I honestly feel that Florida (and other teams) are testing Dubas to see if they crack. (and in Tallon's case he's a cheap cheap person who doesn't want to give up his talent).

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kessel is worth a lot.

A Bentley is worth a lot.

Not everyone can afford either.

So hold onto the Bentley and enjoy it, and if someone shows up with the cash let it go. Unless you need the money and then you might just have to sell at less than market value.

Leafs don't have to worry about moving Kessel, they can easily afford him.

There's nothing written in stone saying the Leafs have to rebuild, maybe they find something on July 1st. and chemistry happens.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Ken campbell of the hockeynews explaining you should let him go for next to nothing ? Wow. Thats the value of his article actually. Less than next to nothing.

I watch leaf games on center ice and watch the American announcers drool over Kessels skills. They know they like him and completely understand his short comings also.

They appreciate him as a player regardless.

Waydifferent than it is here. Night and day actually. Any other posters that have noticed the different opinion of him when watching the out of canada crews broadcasts can chime in here. Its a way different perspective than our trouble making media. Respectful and fairer by a large margin.

Ken Campbell has terrible crappy articles consistently. He is just not very knowledgeable about the game. Bias is rampant from him too.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ken campbell of the hockeynews explaining you should let him go for next to nothing ? Wow. Thats the value of his article actually. Less than next to nothing.

I watch leaf games on center ice and watch the American announcers drool over Kessels skills. They know they like him and completely understand his short comings also.

They appreciate him as a player regardless.

Waydifferent than it is here. Night and day actually. Any other posters that have noticed the different opinion of him when watching the out of canada crews broadcasts can chime in here. Its a way different perspective than our trouble making media. Respectful and fairer by a large margin.

Ken Campbell has terrible crappy articles consistently. He is just not very knowledgeable about the game. Bias is rampant from him too.

I enjoy non-Canadian broadcasts for that reason.

They seem to appreciate hockey players without the vile we get here.

Kessel is one of the top 10 offensive players in the game.

If the Leafs had a character team with two-way, 1st. line players it would be quite different.

What is it they say, defense wins?

Add Kessel to a team with solid defense and he'll be just fine.

Sharabhi

Jan 10, 2008
Curious to know what if the Leafs did trade Kessel, but after 4 years the team that acquires him buys him out?...what's the structure of the buyout in that case?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
no good offers, no rush to get rid of em
No, no rush to get rid of him. That is, unless you want to get the rebuild started now and not in two or three years time when you finally can get rid of him, but have postponed the inevitable for a couple of years to no great purpose. I want him and Phaneuf gone now and I'd hope that Leafs woul accept a reasonable deal, not a great deal. For instance, I'd jump at Galchenyuk, a first and a cap dump from Montreal, no need for an additional good prospect. The culture needs to be changed now.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Kessel is worth a lot.

So hold onto the Bentley and enjoy it, and if someone shows up with the cash let it go. Unless you need the money and then you might just have to sell at less than market value.

There's nothing written in stone saying the Leafs have to rebuild, maybe they find something on July 1st. and chemistry happens.

Sounds like you're in denial.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
No, no rush to get rid of him. That is, unless you want to get the rebuild started now and not in two or three years time when you finally can get rid of him, but have postponed the inevitable for a couple of years to no great purpose. I want him and Phaneuf gone now and I'd hope that Leafs woul accept a reasonable deal, not a great deal. For instance, I'd jump at Galchenyuk, a first and a cap dump from Montreal, no need for an additional good prospect. The culture needs to be changed now.
Sounds like a plan. Lets trade the talent we do have for whatever gets offered just to get started. Forget the return, its not important right?

Hmm, where did I see this happen before?

Any GM who doesn't turn his current talent into future potential talent is a moron, and probably not an NHL GM for long.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

You do realize trading Kessel for a great return would accelerate the rebuild ten fold right? Trading him for pocket change will leave the rebuild where it is at, maybe add a pick. You wait and trade him for a few big pieces and the rebuild speeds up 2 or 3 years.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Kessel is worth a lot.

:handclap: Well said about Kessel. Although I disagree with the not needing to rebuild.

If no one is willing to meet our demands, we'll keep him. We have years before it becomes a necessity to trade him. Now that we have Babcock, I'm not worried about Kessel affecting the character of our young players. Babcock will ensure that our younger players develop in the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad