Rumor: All purpose Kessel trade rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Bu...bu...but Burke left a playoff team when he was fired Daisy. He said so himself. A playoff team! :sarcasm:

Said it before, and I'll say it again: look at the Rick Nash trade as a comparable for what we'll probably get for Phil. A lot of people won't be happy, but that's how I see it playing out.

i've been saying that for ages.

James Mirtle retweeted
Harvey Fialkov ‏@hfialkov 24m24 minutes ago
Panthers still don't seem interested in Phil Kessel. I'm hearing Leafs demands are ridiculous. #flapanthers

... what are they asking for? :laugh:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I remember when we were winning games and people were saying "His defensive skills have improved. He'll never win a Selke but he isn't awful." And "He's paid to score, COULD YOU IMAGINE IF HE HAD A LEGIT 1C?!?!?!?!"

I miss those days.

When people actually seemed to think logically? Yeah, those days are long gone lol.

What we honestly have on that line are three slightly below average defensive players (more so Bozak as the center), who were put on this team to drive offense.

JVR has the most complete game potential of the three (imo), and people saying we should dump all three because they are a defensive nightmare need to look more at the composition of the team and line, rather then the individual defensive play. How are below average defensive players supposed to succeed on a line together? How about on a overall below average defensive team?

I think the Leafs should be looking to move Bozak 1st and foremost (this is because he has some current value but little to non moving forward), followed by Kessel if the deal is right. As for JVR, he can have value moving forward so it would be my least priority.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Good, I like it

High demands for top point getting forwards that are never injured. Damn right we should be demanding lots. I would not trade him at the draft unless we hit pay dirt like we should.

Top five point getters over 5 years should get a ridiculous return. Florida can go pound beach sand.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
That's good that we aren't selling him for cheap. He's well in the top percentile of offensive players in the game playing for a bottom three team without any semblance of a quality centre. It seems like some other teams are just trying to pick the carcus that is our franchise right now. Flroida can go screw themselves if they aren't willing to pay fair value with all their cap space and young assets for an elite offensive force.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
When people actually seemed to think logically? Yeah, those days are long gone lol.

I know. 35 bad games go by and all of a sudden he's this lazy, fat cancer (I hate it when people call him a cancer) that will only score in the 60 point neighbourhood in the foreseeable future.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Probably a 1st, a blue chip prospect, and a roster player

That's what the asking price for most star forwards has been in the past

see. now. that would be understandable.

but what is it that the leafs are specifically asking for that are making everyone freak out that they are asking for too much. like it's one thing for people to go. mehhh. but it's another that everyone is like "duuuude."

unless Florida is cheap, which is understandable.

like some of these reports are making it sound like Dubas is asking for 2 1sts, a 2nd, 2 A star prospects, and a B prospect or something.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

but what is it that the leafs are specifically asking for that are making everyone freak out that they are asking for too much. like it's one thing for people to go. mehhh. but it's another that everyone is like "duuuude."

like some of these reports are making it sound like Dubas is asking for 2 1sts, a 2nd, 2 A star prospects, and a B prospect or something.

The problem is how much people undervalue Kessel on these boards, and like to make fun of him because of him as a person (unwarranted) and because he's a Leaf.

I think some of these reports are sources using the reporters to drive the market down

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Gotta assume it's a demand of:

ELC player currently playing in the NHL (top 6, top 4 defensemen)
blue chip spect
1st round pick

So they probably asked for Barkov/Huber, Trochek/Matheson, and a pick.

This is all assumption of course, but I'm glad the Leafs have set the bar high. He's a world class player.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

I bet it's that. Tallon doesn't like giving up young talent and he's probably balking at the Leafs asking for some of his better young players. Too bad so sad for him, he isn't getting our best trading chip for cheap.

It may also be a ploy to lower Kessel's value through the media. Hopefully the Leafs don't blink and trade him for less than he's worth.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Florida GM 'What do you guys want for Kessel?"

Shanny "Oh not much, we don't want to be overly greedy here. Give us 11st overall, your 2016 1st, Ekblad, Barkov, and Huberdeau, that should be enough. No wait, throw a 2nd round pick in there as well"

Shanny "Hello, hello? Hmmm, they must have lost connection"

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Gotta assume it's a demand of:

ELC player currently playing in the NHL (top 6, top 4 defensemen)
blue chip spect
1st round pick

So they probably asked for Barkov/Huber, Trochek/Matheson, and a pick.

This is all assumption of course, but I'm glad the Leafs have set the bar high. He's a world class player.

I'm really starting to wonder if he is being seen that way by the 29 people that actually matter and that's the other GMs.

a true world class player tends not to last on the market very long

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I know. 35 bad games go by and all of a sudden he's this lazy, fat cancer (I hate it when people call him a cancer) that will only score in the 60 point neighbourhood in the foreseeable future.

Vast majority of fans don't think very rationally about the situation. Phil kessel and Kane are almost identical players (production, impact wise) and yet one is a rotten player and the other is a clutch winner.

The difference? For the most part, the team they play on (and no I would not take Kessel over Kane, just hard to ignore that stats say they are identical impact players).

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Has anyone heard anything new on the Kessel and Kadri to Carolina for 5th Semin and Skinner?

You mean besides the fact that it was never real to begin with? Naw. :yo:

That wouldn't even be a good deal for the Leafs.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Vast majority of fans don't think very rationally about the situation. Phil kessel and Kane are almost identical players (production, impact wise) and yet one is a rotten player and the other is a clutch winner.

The difference? For the most part, the team they play on (and no I would not take Kessel over Kane, just hard to ignore that stats say they are identical impact players).

The other difference is that Kane costs $10.5 mil/per, while Kessel is a relative bargain at $8/per.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
I'm really starting to wonder if he is being seen that way by the 29 people that actually matter and that's the other GMs.

You mean the 29 vultures? Looks like the Leafs management team still values Kessel much more than all the tankers. Thank gawd.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Has anyone heard anything new on the Kessel and Kadri to Carolina for 5th Semin and Skinner?
I haven't, but no way Carolina does that. Be great for the Leafs as we could package Skinner for another 1st and more prospects. But it ain't happening unless somebody is crazy in Carolina.

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013
The other difference is that Kane costs $10.5 mil/per, while Kessel is a relative bargain at $8/per.

This is how I feel, Phil has elite skill and in the right situation he will be dynamite for a legit contender.

A certified can't miss prospect and a first pick (a 2nd or 3rd round pick too IMO) is a must for Phil, and no taking back salary is not required. I say this because most likely a team that trades for Phil will likely be a contender hence the first round pick will be in the 20-25 range which is not great. Also the the picks may never play in the NHL.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Like Rick Nash in 2012? Who was rumoured to be on the block in the 2011-2012 season leading up to the trade deadline and into the off-season where Columbus held out for fair market value .. This ended up going past the draft, past July 1st until a trade finally was put together with the Rangers in late July 2012

A Kessel deal will be made when the package coming back the other way makes sense .. Has nothing to do with being a world class player or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad