Rumor: All purpose Kessel trade rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Assuming that was offered with no retention, they absolutely should have taken it

I would have asked for more. With kessel on that team that would be a super late first and Im not confident with the depth in the draft next year. Only pouliot is good even though I see as more of a solid top 4. On top of that 2 cap dumps? No thanks

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Assuming that was offered with no retention, they absolutely should have taken it

Have to agree. The only real pieces there are Pouliot and the 1st. But Kunitz you can retain on and send away for a decent return. Scuderi is just a cap dump.

I would really hold out for Maatta.

Completelybroke

Mar 22, 2015
A top 5 pick dream probably won't happen now for 2016. You have this feeling bab's going to coach them into a wild card team and fail to hit the playoff's sounds like the rebuild is over boys.

Nylanders Flow

Jun 29, 2014
Have to agree. The only real pieces there are Pouliot and the 1st. But Kunitz you can retain on and send away for a decent return. Scuderi is just a cap dump.

I would really hold out for Maatta.

There is no holding out for Maatta. They're as likely to move him as we are to move Rielly, it's a non starter.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'd take my chances on a 2016 or 2017 Pens 1st rounder. That team has a fragile structure that could collapse, with or without Kessel.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Rob Rossi said on TSN 1050 that Pittsburgh deal yesterday was Scuderi, Kunitz, Pouliot and 2016 First for Kessel.

Add Kapanen (Murray would be nice too) and I'd be happy with it. The base is there.

Shak19

Oct 31, 2007
Toronto
Pouliot doesnt look like such a great prospect...

We need to get some forward in return for Kessel

Needs to be Kapanen and 1st as starting point

Nylanders Flow

Jun 29, 2014
How could you possibly know this?

How could I possibly know they won't trade Crosby for Matt Finn? I don't, but I have a brain and can use it to apply logic to situations.

Maatta is their 2nd best Dman after Letang who is potentially 1 head injury away from retirement. If they trade Maatta they have extremely poor D.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
How does Pouliot not look like a very good prospect? He projects as a top pairing offensive defenseman. He was drafted 8th overall the same year Maatta went 22 and has done nothing but impress at every level he's played at since then. Including being nearly a point per game (24 in 31) as a rookie in the AHL and winning the CHL defenseman of the year the previous season. He also played in the NHL last season and looked very steady despite being thrust immediately into a top 4 role due to injuries

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Pouliot doesnt look like such a great prospect...

We need to get some forward in return for Kessel

Needs to be Kapanen and 1st as starting point

Pouliot is absolutely a blue chipper. The Leafs don't have a player or prospect with the offensive potential of Pouliot on defense. Rielly is a better player but I don't expect him to rack up the points like Pouliot. He's almost Gonchar like. Long term I think he'll be better than Maatta.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
No need to trade a player in his prime for multiple cap dumps, or for what 3rd line centre Staal got. Kessel had a terrible year, but I think he just mailed it in once he knew the team was going nowhere. Not defending him, but it must suck to play with 3rd liners.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Predict that after July first and Kessel gets his signing bonus, this will get done. I have a good feeling on this based on how candid JR. was about prospects involved.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The Leafs could definitely flip Kunitz for a first. Surprised they said no, if that is indeed the deal

Scuderi and Kunitz are positive cap dumps.
Both could be moved at trade deadline.

So:
1st round pick 2016
Pouliot (former 1st round pick at #8)

Kunitz (what would be his trade return ?)
Scuderi (what would be his trade return?)

Are you holding out for an additional piece such as Murray/Kapenen?
Or do you want/hope to replace Pouliot with Maatta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad