Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2018-19 PGA Tour schedule (post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Numerous articles and pieces of media I've consumed (out of what seems like about a hundred) since Sunday afternoon claimed that Koepka was there to congratulate Tiger as well. I didn't recognize him there myself though and am not sure if it is entirely accurate but he was more than happy and thrilled for Tiger in his post-round press conference etc.

Koepka absolutely was there to greet Tiger with a bro hug along with Fowler, ZJ, Langer, etc. Koepka’s gf was eye f***ing Tiger again, just like she did after the PGA Championship :laugh:

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Koepka absolutely was there to greet Tiger with a bro hug along with Fowler, ZJ, Langer, etc. ....
Agreed. Before the tourney I came within a hair of posting he'd win, but didn't think his putting would be quite good enough. After the first 2 rounds Tiger was 84th out of 87 in putting. Augusta is his best course, it's the major only played on one course, he's 43, and has a bad back, so it will be tough for him. If you look at the level of competition he's already had a better career than Jack. #Tigerneverworeplaidslacks ;)

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Yeah, this. It's gotta better in the last 3-4 years since he's became truely elite, but before when he was just an one win a year guy and not a star he was a big time bottler. But it still flairs up. When was it, 2016? When he threw away the Fedex Cup in the Tour Championship and Rory won it?
Yeah he's gotten a bit better at closing but if we look at his career at majors, he's let so many of them slip away.

2010 US Open: Had a three-shot lead after 54 holes and proceeded to implode on Sunday by shooting an 82. Also, considering the final winner finished at E for the tourney, DJ could've shot a +5 in round 4 and the victory still would've been his.

2010 PGA Championship: Had the 71-hole lead and got penalized for grounding his club in a "bunker" which cost him like 3 extra strokes on that hole and ultimately the tourney. Many ppl thought he got robbed on this one by a bogus ruling, and almost 9 years later, I still feel for DJ on this one

2011 Open Championship: Was within a shot of the lead after round 3, but shot a dismal +2 in the final round to lose to Darren Clarke who was legit like 45

2015 US Open: Within a shot of the lead on hole 72 with a 12 ft eagle putt to beat Spieth. He completely blew it by three-putting and essentially handed the trophy to Jordan

2016 US Open: FINALLY broke through. He also had to overcome some bs rule official from what I remember too

2018 US Open: Tore up Shinnecock Hills for 3/4 rounds, but in the one round where he didn't play well he completely collapsed and fell back to the field with a +7 in the third round. He was -4 in his other 3 rounds which meant he could've shot 4-over in round 3 and he still would've beat Koepka by a stroke

As you mentioned above, DJ also fell apart in the final round of the Tour Championship, losing it to Rory, despite only needing like a top-10 finish in the tourney to win his maiden FEC.

If DJ had snagged these chances, he'd already have more majors than Phil and more US Open's than Tiger (!!), while still only being 34. DJ would also be the heavy favorite in the "greatest post-Tiger player" discussion as well.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Angel Cabrera; Hall of Fame or no?

Has two majors and one other tour win and a bunch of wins on lower tier tours.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Golf has been spoiled the last number of years. What Thomas has done early in his career is historically great, but the incredible early career success he's had has been overshadowed. There's not a golfer in the top 50 of the OWGR under 23. We might not see a Thomas level performance up to age 26 for another 10-15 years. Most of the biggest talents don't even get onto the PGA Tour until 22-24.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Crazy to think Rory just turned 30. It’s safe to say he’s certainly lived up to all the hype around him.

At the young age of 30, his resume is already first ballot HOF worthy as he’s already won:
- 4 Majors (just needs a Masters to complete the career slam)
- 24 worldwide wins
- 95 weeks at number one
- Players Champion on both PGA and Euro Tour
- FedEx Cup Champion (won 4 FedEx Cup Events)
- 2 WGC titles
- 2x PGA player of the year
- 2x PGA money leader
- 2x Scoring Title
- 3x Year End number one
- 3x European Player of the Year
- 3x Race to Dubai Champion (won the final event twice as well)
- Won two majors in a season in 2014
- Won 2 of his majors by 8 strokes in peak Tiger-esque fashion
- 4 Ryder Cup titles

Scariest part is that his peak may still be lurking in the future as golfers these days tend to not peak till their early/mid 30’s. Imo, he has the potential to end his career as a top 5 player of all time if he keeps this up given how well rounded his resume is and the amount of competition he’s faced compared to many former players who played decades and decades ago

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
As an administrative note, the political board was removed from HF and with scant exceptions the discussion of politics is void on the site. Refrain from any comments pertaining to politics and especially what is currently in the news in regard to the Medal presented at the White House. If you have any comments or beefs, it is best to mention them in SUPPORT. Do not post any replies within this thread. Again, this is something coming from the lead admin on the site.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Trinity Forest is such a cool looking golf course. I wish it played a little harder than it has the first two years it’s hosted a PGA Tour event, but it just looks like a major venue.

Jan 3, 2012
It appears Spieth may be having one of the best putting events of his career and worst ballstriking events. He had 300+ feet of made putts through the first two rounds and all three of his birdies so far today are outside 20 feet. 2 outside 30.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Matthew Wolff wins another big amateur event, this time the NCAA Championship... he'll be hanging around real soon. Shame that the coolness brought on by his name is totally cancelled out by his gross-looking swing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Matthew Wolff wins another big amateur event, this time the NCAA Championship... he'll be hanging around real soon. Shame that the coolness brought on by his name is totally cancelled out by his gross-looking swing.

That was always said about Furyk's swing, and he wasn't disliked because of his swing. I'm very hesitant though to think Wolff's NCAA success means he's going to be a star. College golf simply does not translate the way college sports does in some other sports to the pros. The last two players of the year from college golf have missed 9 of 12 cuts this year and 5 of 7. Both are toiling on the Web.com. Golf is one of those sports where you can't always properly gauge whose the best based on whose playing the best based on a handful or two of tournaments scattered in a short amount of time. I remember thinking that Hossler would be better than Rahm. He was better than him in college golf, but now I see Rahm is much more talented, and clearly the better golfer.

Thats not to say that Wolff's not going to be good. I always thought Thornberry's swing would never hold up once he reached higher levels, and so far it looks like I'm right. I also thought Xiong's play was more of a small sample size great stretch than him actually being the best player at that time. It also looks to be getting much harder for young golfers to break into the top level and have success. The youngest player in the top 50 of the world is 23. There's not a player on the PGA Tour this season younger than 22. I think there's been a real backlog of talent on the pro circuits now. Golf has never been a sport where success at a young age was common. It's happened a few times recently, but that might've been an anomaly more than anything.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Texas can win this match, I think they have the best chance to knock off Oklahoma State of the teams remaining. They have three really good players who can win against the Oklahoma State players, and their fourth best player is in very good form recently.

Vanderbilt may be the higher ranked team, but I don't know if they have the players to beat Oklahoma State. Texas is a very young team and probably not as good as they'll be next year, but on the right day, they can give Oklahoma State a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad