Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2018-19 PGA Tour schedule (post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The players need to stop complaining about the USGA. Rory gave the USGA an ultimatum. Why do they think they can determine the US Open set up? If they don't like the set up, they shouldn't play in the US Open, which I highly doubt would ever happen. This is about getting an easier course. We get to see the best in the world struggle once per year. They should stop complaining, and play the course in front of them. Everyone plays the same course. They made the final round of the US Open last year incredibly boring due to all the complaining. The bigger scandal with that tournament, Mickelson's disregard of the laws of the game and the approval of that from the USGA, was overshadowed.

The USGA does seem to be laying the groundwork for the players to complain about the course conditions during the US Open. Davis said that there could be a wind problem if the marine layer clears too early during certain days. I don't mind it either. I'd like to see a difficult course. I don't know who wants to see another Safeway Open.

Jan 3, 2012
Yes, we all want to see a difficult event where par is a good score, but it becomes silly when players get punished for hitting good shots, or putt ten footers off greens.

Sep 19, 2008
Haney gets SiriusXM ban for LPGA comment

NEW YORK -- Swing coach Hank Haney has been suspended from the SiriusXM PGA Tour Radio channel after saying on his show Wednesday that a Korean would probably win the U.S. Women's Open and that he couldn't name six players on the LPGA Tour.
He then said he would go with "Lee," and that if he didn't have to mention a first name, "I'd get a bunch of them right."

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues

NEW YORK -- Swing coach Hank Haney has been suspended from the SiriusXM PGA Tour Radio channel after saying on his show Wednesday that a Korean would probably win the U.S. Women's Open and that he couldn't name six players on the LPGA Tour.
He then said he would go with "Lee," and that if he didn't have to mention a first name, "I'd get a bunch of them right."
Lee6 tied for the lead

Reactions: Roman Fell

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
That was always said about Furyk's swing, and he wasn't disliked because of his swing. I'm very hesitant though to think Wolff's NCAA success means he's going to be a star. College golf simply does not translate the way college sports does in some other sports to the pros. The last two players of the year from college golf have missed 9 of 12 cuts this year and 5 of 7. Both are toiling on the Web.com. Golf is one of those sports where you can't always properly gauge whose the best based on whose playing the best based on a handful or two of tournaments scattered in a short amount of time. I remember thinking that Hossler would be better than Rahm. He was better than him in college golf, but now I see Rahm is much more talented, and clearly the better golfer.

Thats not to say that Wolff's not going to be good. I always thought Thornberry's swing would never hold up once he reached higher levels, and so far it looks like I'm right. I also thought Xiong's play was more of a small sample size great stretch than him actually being the best player at that time. It also looks to be getting much harder for young golfers to break into the top level and have success. The youngest player in the top 50 of the world is 23. There's not a player on the PGA Tour this season younger than 22. I think there's been a real backlog of talent on the pro circuits now. Golf has never been a sport where success at a young age was common. It's happened a few times recently, but that might've been an anomaly more than anything.

It is a wild jump from college to pro. I mean Illinois standout for 4 years Dylan Meyer made 6 of 8 cuts on the PGA last year (including T20 at the US Open) and then finished 7th at Sanderson but on the Web.com tour he has only made 3 of 14 cuts in the events he's played.

Speaking of the NCAA, it looks like they are changing the host site situation and putting the courses on a 3 year period. So the next 3 NCAA championships will be at Arizona State's course. Interesting.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Jan 3, 2012
It does seem like a lot of college stars take a number of years to settle into the PGA Tour before establishing themselves as solid players.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Koepka is embracing the moniker.

“I don’t know,” he said. “I’ve not touched a club.”
“I’m not too concerned with it,” he said. “From the nine holes I did play today, it seemed pretty good.”
“I could care less what happens,” he said. “I just want to feel good going into next week. As long as I can leave feeling confident, striking the ball very well, starting it where I want to, finishing where I want to, hitting some good putts ... it doesn’t matter if they do go in or not. I just want to feel confident leaving.”
“The result doesn’t really matter this week,” he said. “It’s just how I feel I’ve played. Am I hitting enough good shots and really finding a rhythm?”

Brooks Koepka 'Could Care Less' About Result in U.S. Open Tune-Up

Jan 3, 2012
Wish I wasn't going to ottawa tomorrow otherwise I would've probably went to HGCC and watched this weekend. My old boss is the director of instruction there. Looks like a good leaderboard.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does it really matter if Phil never wins a US Open?

Yes. Career Grand Slam would be the biggest wide-sweeping achievement of his career. Some of the other all time greats have achievements such as best player of their era or one of the most dominant stretches of a few years ever or the best ever at a particular major. What does Phil hang his hat on when the discussions for who are the top 10 golfers ever come up? It’s a lot easier to place him there with a US Open win.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl
Jan 3, 2012
Tiger Woods on Achy Back: 'I Feel Every Shot I Hit'

Pretty clear that Tiger's health is still an issue and will be going forward. There is no way someone who has had so many surgeries and put so much stress on their body for so long will just be fine after the fusion he had. His body is beat up after his career, and even though he is "healthy" now, its clear there is still tightness and weakness all over. I think it is debatable whether he should still be out here at all, because I wonder how much of an impact all this stress on his body will have on his quality of life after he retires.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad