Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2018-19 PGA Tour schedule (post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
... think some of these media scum would take a realistic view and call Tiglet for the piece of crap, garbage golfer he is.
He's ranked 12th in the world ahead of Fleetwood, Day, Finau, Kuchar, Bubba, Reed, Louis O., Leishman, Cantlay, Phil, Simpson, Woodland, and Kisner.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
With all the BS around Tiglet after this meh round it is going to be awesome to see him fail again and then read all the crap about how this time it is different and he is definitely winning another major.

I understand it sells papers but you think some of these media scum would take a realistic view and call Tiglet for the piece of crap, garbage golfer he is.
Sorry come again? Who's a crap golfer?

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
With all the BS around Tiglet after this meh round it is going to be awesome to see him fail again and then read all the crap about how this time it is different and he is definitely winning another major.

I understand it sells papers but you think some of these media scum would take a realistic view and call Tiglet for the piece of crap, garbage golfer he is.
WHERE YOU AT BOI!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm no big Koepka fan, but I can respect that he wasn't as thrilled as everyone else about Tiger's win. He's competing against him. He lost a major. Why should he be happy? He congratulated his competitor, but didn't take part in the post round handshake line like a lot of Tiger's other competitors.

Fowler was there yet again to lead the charge. I think mentality plays a big part in why he doesn't win as often as some players who might not be that much more talented than he is. And whether or not Fowler went into the final round with a real chance to win shouldn't matter towards his mindset at the end of the tournament. I don't know how any of the top level players can go into a major and be happy with the result if its not a win. Some of these players looked a little too happy at the result of the tournament, in my opinion.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm no big Koepka fan, but I can respect that he wasn't as thrilled as everyone else about Tiger's win. He's competing against him. He lost a major. Why should he be happy? He congratulated his competitor, but didn't take part in the post round handshake line like a lot of Tiger's other competitors.

Fowler was there yet again to lead the charge. I think mentality plays a big part in why he doesn't win as often as some players who might not be that much more talented than he is. And whether or not Fowler went into the final round with a real chance to win shouldn't matter towards his mindset at the end of the tournament. I don't know how any of the top level players can go into a major and be happy with the result if its not a win. Some of these players looked a little too happy at the result of the tournament, in my opinion.
Numerous articles and pieces of media I've consumed (out of what seems like about a hundred) since Sunday afternoon claimed that Koepka was there to congratulate Tiger as well. I didn't recognize him there myself though and am not sure if it is entirely accurate but he was more than happy and thrilled for Tiger in his post-round press conference etc.

I think that this young superstar talent has a unique and very personal perspective on what Tiger has endured and been through more than anybody else. They have spent time with him, they've been playing with and helping him back home and they've hoped that a guy they grew up idolizing and enticing them into the sport could recover from self inflicted demons and major injury problems that robbed all of us of what could have been. I think it also gives them the perspective that there is more to life than golf and that sometimes things need to be measured in terms that are more than just simply winning or losing. So many of them have already had, are going to continue to have or will have incredible careers. Tiger isn't going to dominate like he did in the early or mid 2000's and, if anything, being part of what transpired at Augusta the past week (and especially Sunday) is going to make an incredibly talented generation even better because of what they were a part of and experienced.

More than anything, I'm impressed with how Fowler's game continues to build to the point where it does actually look like he's capable of winning a major when I've been one of his biggest detractors. Koepka is on a run of success in the majors at the moment that is extraordinary. Molinari is playing like he's out for a Sunday stroll in the heat of the moment in these championships (with the exception of 12 and 15 Sunday) with a game that is going to give him plenty more moments. Schauffele and Cantlay summoned the best golf they've ever played on the back nine to give everyone a scare... etc, etc, etc. It's remarkable how good of a spot the game is in at the moment and how many players look like they have a chance of winning any given tournament.

They can be unhappy or disappointed with their result and still thrilled with the historic accomplishment Tiger achieved on Sunday. They get to say they were a part of one of the most memorable Masters ever played. And if/when Phil/Rory put the finishing touches on their career Grand Slams, I expect we'll see plenty of players there to congratulate and be thrilled for them too. It's not an indictment on their mindset or being "too happy", it's simply an appreciation and respect that will serve them well in the long run.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Koepka was respectful of his competitor when asked about it and congratulated him, but I thought the way he spoke and the look on his face, you could tell that he's not there to enjoy a Tiger Woods coronation, like seemingly all the rest of the players enjoyed.

I think its one thing to understand what Tiger has been through and appreciate what a historic comeback it was. It was, and everyone knows that. But this is their livelihood in their profession. They are all rich, and they don't need to win the Masters. Winning as opposed to third won't be the difference between food on the table for their family, like it might be on mini tours and it might've been 50 years ago. But all these players have worked their whole life to win a major. Some of them will never win a major. It might be years until some of them are back competing in a major. I don't know how they could be as happy as they are about one of their competitors winning, whether they missed the cut or finished second or whether its their best friend on the tour winning or their worst enemy who wins.

Its a tricky position to be in. These guys were likely all fans of Tiger growing up, but I think once he's your peer, your perspective should change. Take Tiger out of it, and I think its the same situation. It doesn't matter who wins. I don't think the perspective should change. Congratulate the winner, but I completely disagree with a mindset of being anything other than unhappy with the result of a major you didn't win, if you are one of these golfers who should go into the tournament with a realistic chance to win. It doesn't mean you should throw a fit, but I think its a continuation of the current generation of professional athletes that doesn't have the same outlook on winning/losing as past generations of professional athletes did.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Koepka was respectful of his competitor when asked about it and congratulated him, but I thought the way he spoke and the look on his face, you could tell that he's not there to enjoy a Tiger Woods coronation, like seemingly all the rest of the players enjoyed.

I think its one thing to understand what Tiger has been through and appreciate what a historic comeback it was. It was, and everyone knows that. But this is their livelihood in their profession. They are all rich, and they don't need to win the Masters. Winning as opposed to third won't be the difference between food on the table for their family, like it might be on mini tours and it might've been 50 years ago. But all these players have worked their whole life to win a major. Some of them will never win a major. It might be years until some of them are back competing in a major. I don't know how they could be as happy as they are about one of their competitors winning, whether they missed the cut or finished second or whether its their best friend on the tour winning or their worst enemy who wins.

Its a tricky position to be in. These guys were likely all fans of Tiger growing up, but I think once he's your peer, your perspective should change. Take Tiger out of it, and I think its the same situation. It doesn't matter who wins. I don't think the perspective should change. Congratulate the winner, but I completely disagree with a mindset of being anything other than unhappy with the result of a major you didn't win, if you are one of these golfers who should go into the tournament with a realistic chance to win. It doesn't mean you should throw a fit, but I think its a continuation of the current generation of professional athletes that doesn't have the same outlook on winning/losing as past generations of professional athletes did.
I agree with most of what you said but I take a little issue with this.

Winning a major is f***ing hard, and takes a lot of luck going your way, even when you're playing your best. I don't want a player to be completely happy if they don't win, but I completely understand them being happy with the way they played, proud that they put themselves in contention and that they will be able to learn from the experience. It is kind of a token line, but in golf I feel it really is true. You need the experience of feeling that pressure on the back 9 of a major so even if you don't win, it's good to put yourself up there time and time again and you should be happy about that, even if you're pissed off you didn't win.

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I just heard an argument from a famous sports broadcaster that Tiger is obviously gonna be as good as anyone younger than him until Tiger is 53 so he'll obviously and easily break Jack's record. Okay. :rolleyes:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I just heard an argument from a famous sports broadcaster that Tiger is obviously gonna be as good as anyone younger than him until Tiger is 53 so he'll obviously and easily break Jack's record. Okay. :rolleyes:
So you're taking one person's hyperbolic claim and acting as if it's the general narrative or just wanted to point out a take that is from someone who is obviously clueless?

What Tiger does have, health permitting, is another 3-7 years where there's no reason why he can't continue to be a major factor. He's not going to be as consistent as some of these other guys having his A game every week and will obviously try to go at it with the aim of peaking for majors and other big events. He's already shown and proven that his best (which he didn't even have at Augusta) is good enough to go toe to toe with these young stars and best them. I know a lot of people were laughing at that even being remotely possible despite his success last year too.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The PGA Tour needs to wipe out second round scores. The late wave today is going to get much better conditions. They knew this weather was coming. Very unfair to start play today, let the early wave play through bad conditions, let the late wave sit through the bad conditions in a weather delay, and then come back the next morning on better greens and weather.

Jan 3, 2012
I mean DJ's always had problems closing out tournaments when he has the lead. If he had the killer instinct/mental game of Tiger or even Rory from a few years ago, he'd have at least 5-6 majors already given how many close calls he's missed over the years

Yeah, this. It's gotta better in the last 3-4 years since he's became truely elite, but before when he was just an one win a year guy and not a star he was a big time bottler. But it still flairs up. When was it, 2016? When he threw away the Fedex Cup in the Tour Championship and Rory won it?

Last edited:
Reactions: johntanner1787
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad