Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2018-19 PGA Tour schedule (post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Discredit it in what way?

I hate him as much as anyone but a win is a win.

But I don't think it means much in terms of him winning a major again. I still think that is a 0% chance.

That he only had to beat 29 people and not 120 people

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Nice. I can finally talk about Tiger again.

I always thought he would get back to winning. I have a different perspective than everyone else. I'm excited he won this tournament and all that, but I kind of found the "would he win" talk to be disrespectful, as if he wasn't still a top talent. If he stayed healthy, I thought it was very likely he'd return to being one of the best in the game.

Its about the majors and always has been. A bad year in that aspect, so I'm not going to act like he had a good year. I expected him to have this level of year, at minimum, if he stayed healthy. I hope we can now go back to evaluating his career on the majors, but its another year without a major. I don't like the changed expectations. The only reason for them are the injuries. Now that he's healthy, the expectations should be back to what they always were. Majors. Thats what matters for TW.
I understand your perspective Pavel but this year is nothing short of miraculous IMO.

Rebuilt body. Rebuilt swing. To come as close as he did to winning two majors and get a win is something I didn't expect to see. It takes time to come back from a major injury, let alone do that and start from ground zero with your game.

Next season my expectations are going to be where yours were this year. Winning the Tour Championship is going to do wonders for his confidence going into next season. Massive win today in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I understand your perspective Pavel but this year is nothing short of miraculous IMO.

Rebuilt body. Rebuilt swing. Two come as close as he did to winning two majors and get a win is something I didn't expect to see. It takes time to come back from a major injury, let alone do that and start from ground zero with your game.

Next season my expectations are going to be where yours were this year. Winning the Tour Championship is going to do wonders for his confidence going into next season. Massive win today in the grand scheme of things.

For sure. I do think this win is important. I didn't think he was going to go five years out of the game, and have his first win be a major. Thats too much to ask, so this was likely a needed victory to get back to winning majors. I hoped it would come early/middle of the year, so he'd win one of the last few majors, but at least he's back to being one of the best in the game, and next year the focus can be all about the majors. 2018 could've been like 2014, 2015, 2016 or 2017 for Tiger, so thats a positive.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Nobody knew if a fused back would hinder his swing in any way, so even if he was assumed to be healthy there was plenty of reason to think he wouldn't be that good this time around. So relative to expectations, this was absolutely a great year for Tiger. No way to spin it as a bad year.

But the expectations are back squarely on the majors for sure. He's proven he's one of the best (maybe the best?) again, all questions about his health are answered, now it's time to win majors. April needs to get here sooner than ever.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
giphy.gif

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I'm happy for Tiger. I just hope the Ryder Cup team can win. As far as I know, no Ryder Cup team with both Phil and Tiger has ever won.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Tiger was well on his way to be becoming the GOAT but the past decade really hurt...though I am sure people will still argue he is.

First win in 5 years right?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm happy for Tiger. I just hope the Ryder Cup team can win. As far as I know, no Ryder Cup team with both Phil and Tiger has ever won.

They are bad in the RC. As much as I like Tiger, its hard to deny that he has historically underperformed a lot at the RC. Phil underperforms a lot also. The last RC he didn't play at was the last time the USA won in Europe. The team is better off without them, but as long as they were fit, they were never not going to be on this team.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl
Jan 3, 2012
I give 2 craps about Rose winning the fedex Cup. I like the guy. Not everyone is enamored with Tiger like most here.

Would've rather seen Bryson win. Bryson is going to do the most for golf since Tiger, and I'm not referring to on course accomplishments, though he will get plenty of that.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Would've rather seen Bryson win. Bryson is going to do the most for golf since Tiger, and I'm not referring to on course accomplishments, though he will get plenty of that.
Like him too. I’ve always liked Rose when he burst onto the scene back at the British Open years ago. Then he disappeared for awhile and then obviously re-emerged.

Jan 3, 2012
Like him too. I’ve always liked Rose when he burst onto the scene back at the British Open years ago. Then he disappeared for awhile and then obviously re-emerged.

Ah, everyone does that. Look at Keegan Bradley, whom just re-emerged. Adam Scott is currently disappeared.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I give 2 craps about Rose winning the fedex Cup. I like the guy. Not everyone is enamored with Tiger like most here.

Even if you do like Tiger, a historically good golfer winning a big accomplishment like the Fed Ex Cup is important towards golf history.

Rose has now won the Fed Ex Cup, Gold Medal, European Order of Merit, and he has reached #1. Thats to go along with a major championship at a historic course that has crowned major champions such as Ben Hogan and Lee Trevino. He has a playoff loss at the Masters, along with two other runner up majors finishes, Augusta and Carnoustie. Thats a serious resume. Nothing to sneeze at.

This would be a big storyline, if not for Tiger winning. Its a shame for Rose that it gets overshadowed in this moment, but I don't think it will be historically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad