Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2018-19 PGA Tour schedule (post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
They are bad in the RC. As much as I like Tiger, its hard to deny that he has historically underperformed a lot at the RC. Phil underperforms a lot also. The last RC he didn't play at was the last time the USA won in Europe. The team is better off without them, but as long as they were fit, they were never not going to be on this team.

Better off without them is a bit of a stretch its not like they are going 0-4 while the rest of the guys are killing it. They may not have been as good as they are expected but they are still likely better than their replacements.

Especially lately Phil has been one of the better US guys at the Ryder Cup win or lose.

Sep 19, 2008
Nobody can galvanize a crowd or social media like Tiger. He has so much pull. Brooks Koepka won multiple majors this year and nearly nobody knows who he is. Speith is a rising star but nothing he would ever do would even come close to Tiger contending at a major or golf event. I remember the PGA Championship when Tiger was making a move on Koepka. Nearly every tweet would be about Tiger. He literally owns social media in that instance.

@Dakota Sioux

Reactions: PanthersPens62
Sep 19, 2008
Golf definitely does not need any sort of Tigger Woods at all.

So Golf doesn't "need" arguably the best player of all time when he was in his prime?

Golf has been okay while Tiger has been absent. You saw the rise of young prospects like Speith and Koepka as well as Dustin Johnson asserting himself. That's fine. It's okay. But it's just meh.

There's a whole different level of excitement, crowd fervor, fever pitch, and awareness when Tiger is in contention. Do you see it reach those levels when anyone else is in contention? The answer is no. Therefore golf NEEDS a Tiger in contention.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
So Golf doesn't "need" arguably the best player of all time when he was in his prime?

Golf has been okay while Tiger has been absent. You saw the rise of young prospects like Speith and Koepka as well as Dustin Johnson asserting himself. That's fine. It's okay. But it's just meh.

There's a whole different level of excitement, crowd fervor, fever pitch, and awareness when Tiger is in contention. Do you see it reach those levels when anyone else is in contention? The answer is no. Therefore golf NEEDS a Tiger in contention.

No it doesn't need him at all. It was just fine when he was gone and the coverage didn't involve 100% blowing smoke up him and his loser fans asses.

Yesterday wasn't fun, it wasn't interesting and it certainly wasn't worth watching at all. Tigger brings nothing but overrating and over coverage.

And there is no argument Jack is the best player of all time.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Nobody can galvanize a crowd or social media like Tiger. He has so much pull. Brooks Koepka won multiple majors this year and nearly nobody knows who he is. Speith is a rising star but nothing he would ever do would even come close to Tiger contending at a major or golf event. I remember the PGA Championship when Tiger was making a move on Koepka. Nearly every tweet would be about Tiger. He literally owns social media in that instance.

@Dakota Sioux
Agree with everything. I and others just aren't wound up on one guy like others. It is what it is.

Jan 3, 2012

@Dakota Sioux

Brooks Koepka whines so much about not getting the spotlight like other players, but it's mostly his fault. Off the course he doesn't have the personality and attributes that make others so popular.

Reactions: HFBCommenter
Sep 19, 2008
No it doesn't need him at all. It was just fine when he was gone and the coverage didn't involve 100% blowing smoke up him and his loser fans asses.

Yesterday wasn't fun, it wasn't interesting and it certainly wasn't worth watching at all. Tigger brings nothing but overrating and over coverage.

And there is no argument Jack is the best player of all time.

You're oblivious to what he means to the sport. He's one of the all time greats.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thats the Tiger effect. He makes casuals watch. Golf fans will watch, whether he plays or not. I'm not going to stop watching when he retires, but it'll be different than when he's playing. Thats part of sports that careers are only so long. Some golf fans prefer it when Tiger plays and others don't. Tiger generates more haters than maybe any athlete on the planet, but thats the way it goes. Doesn't really matter. Thats something they need to worry about, not anything Tiger or fans should worry about.

I see the "low" Open ratings mentioned every year when the topic of ratings for the tournaments comes up, and it really annoys me. They should not be compared to events that take place in the USA. If the Open ratings are going to be measured, they should be measured in the UK. The Open should have the best ratings of all the majors. I guess maybe the Masters could be higher, but if there was a way to equalize them all to account for the time zone, I think it would be top two every year.

Jan 3, 2012
How many professional wins total does each team have combined? Does Team Europe combined have more then Tiger alone?

Edit: Rough adding looks like Europe has more then Tiger by a bit. Tiger and Phil have more then the entire team for sure.

Jan 3, 2012
Tiger transcends golf, and none of the other guys do even if they’re as good or better. In the US, no different than it is in any other sport except football except if you’re LeBron.

I agree, but I think the extent to which Tiger has changed and impacted golf may be more than any athlete in any sport in history. No athlete in a team sport can come close to doing what Tiger has for golf. Other athletes may be more popular, but what he has done for golf is unrivalled. I wouldn't be surprised if the overall economic impact from Tiger's career exceeds $1 Trillion US.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Back to stroke play.

I think a lot of casual sports watchers and golf fans who only root for interesting tournaments like the Ryder Cup, but I've never been the biggest fan of it.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl
Jan 3, 2012
Next week marks the start of the season for all the non-elite pga tour players who need to get their cards and points locked up before the stars start playing events in January.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
We need a Spieth vs Reed octagon battle prior to Tiger vs Phil match play event...with a DJ vs Koepka steel cage match as the main event. I’d pay good money for that television. :)

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad