All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part XVIV: We're Goin Off The Rail On A Crazy Monorail

Best Fries?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
And yet it's an important question to ask since your insistence on ignoring them automatically indicates their deaths don't matter.
Insistence on ignoring them? I’m trying to call attention to them. Asking a simple number. Why do you insist on avoiding it?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Insistence on ignoring them? I’m trying to call attention to them. Asking a simple number. Why do you insist on avoiding it?

Oh, see, I'm taking it in your past context of arguing against anti-pandemic actions because you dismiss COVID for mostly killing the olds.

And also your past context of valuing money over lives.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
And in continued NHL rewind joy, SportsNet is now playing the 1983 All Star game when the Wales Conference decided to not play in front of Pelle Lindbergh. This comes immediately after game 4 of the 1976 Stanley Cup finals, where the Canadiens swept the Flyers. Le sigh.

Perhaps you could try watching water in a cup evaporate instead.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And in continued NHL rewind joy, SportsNet is now playing the 1983 All Star game when the Wales Conference decided to not play in front of Pelle Lindbergh. This comes immediately after game 4 of the 1976 Stanley Cup finals, where the Canadiens swept the Flyers. Le sigh.

I watched the 94 Skills Comp on Youtube last night. Thats some good fun. Almost entirely Hall of Famers showing off. Lindros & Jagr competed in a rapid fire event on Potvin and lit him up lol. Coffey beat Fedorov in fastest skater.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Haiti 1791-1804.

Hobbled Napoleon from a world away. Began the breakdown of the inhumanity of trading human flesh in the West.
Its momentum was only stopped by a world economy based on white supremacy.

Isolated economically by white supremacist nations, the entirety of the 1st world at the time, those formerly in bondage were forced to pay reparations to their former slaveholders. 150 million in gold.

Haiti is educational. You can smash at a system physically but until the framework that surrounds and upholds it is torn down unrest and injustice will persist.

Haiti is educational, but I don't think in the way you think.

"White supremacist nations?" Slavery was universal at that time, not just African slavery (sold into slavery by African kings, often to Arab traders, since white men did not venture off the coast of Africa due to disease, the Ottomans had European slaves, the Europeans had Muslim slaves, Russian serfdom was quasi-slavery, and so on. Slavery was not an invention of white supremacists, Africans were favored as slaves in many areas due to their resistance to disease (Yellow Fever did more to liberate Haiti than the slave revolts, decimating both the British and the French), for example, in Saudi Arabia due to their resistance to malaria.

On 1 January 1804, Dessalines, the new leader under the dictatorial 1805 constitution, declared Haiti a free republic followed by the massacre of the remaining whites. Haiti was the first independent nation in Latin America, the first post-colonial independent black-led nation in the world, and the only nation whose independence was gained as part of a successful slave rebellion. Dessalines adopted the economic organisation of serfdom. He proclaimed the mastery of the state over the individual and consequently ordered that all laborers would be bound to a plantation. His chief motivator nonetheless was production, and to this aim he granted much freedom to the plantations' overseers. Dessalines effectively sent the Haitian people back into slavery. Nevertheless, he succeeded in rebuilding much of the countryside and in raising production levels.

Mulatto domination of politics and economics, and urban life after the revolution, created a different kind of two-caste society, as most Haitians were rural subsistence farmers. The nascent state's future was hobbled in 1825 when France required 150 million gold francs in reparations to French ex-slaveholders as a condition of French political recognition and to end the newly formed state's political and economic isolation.

On October 8, 1804 Jean-Jacques Dessalines became JACQUES I, EMPEROR.
On Oct. 17, 1806, just short of three years after independence, Emperor Jacques I was assassinated.

Haiti was now plunged into a chaotic period of political maneuvering and civil war that divided Haiti into two nations under two different leaders for the next 12 years.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Some of the stuff I’ve seen Especially the last two days. Honestly yeah. f*** those goofs.

Vandalism and nothing else.

Seems like Philly today is going to gamestop.com and finding your nearest one to go loot. My brother lives near the one in Tacony and says he saws tweets about the scanners saying it was being looted.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Haiti is educational, but I don't think in the way you think.

"White supremacist nations?" Slavery was universal at that time, not just African slavery (sold into slavery by African kings, often to Arab traders, since white men did not venture off the coast of Africa due to disease, the Ottomans had European slaves, the Europeans had Muslim slaves, Russian serfdom was quasi-slavery, and so on. Slavery was not an invention of white supremacists, Africans were favored as slaves in many areas due to their resistance to disease (Yellow Fever did more to liberate Haiti than the slave revolts, decimating both the British and the French), for example, in Saudi Arabia due to their resistance to malaria.

On 1 January 1804, Dessalines, the new leader under the dictatorial 1805 constitution, declared Haiti a free republic followed by the massacre of the remaining whites. Haiti was the first independent nation in Latin America, the first post-colonial independent black-led nation in the world, and the only nation whose independence was gained as part of a successful slave rebellion. Dessalines adopted the economic organisation of serfdom. He proclaimed the mastery of the state over the individual and consequently ordered that all laborers would be bound to a plantation. His chief motivator nonetheless was production, and to this aim he granted much freedom to the plantations' overseers. Dessalines effectively sent the Haitian people back into slavery. Nevertheless, he succeeded in rebuilding much of the countryside and in raising production levels.

Mulatto domination of politics and economics, and urban life after the revolution, created a different kind of two-caste society, as most Haitians were rural subsistence farmers. The nascent state's future was hobbled in 1825 when France required 150 million gold francs in reparations to French ex-slaveholders as a condition of French political recognition and to end the newly formed state's political and economic isolation.

On October 8, 1804 Jean-Jacques Dessalines became JACQUES I, EMPEROR.
On Oct. 17, 1806, just short of three years after independence, Emperor Jacques I was assassinated.

Haiti was now plunged into a chaotic period of political maneuvering and civil war that divided Haiti into two nations under two different leaders for the next 12 years.

Eh, there was a strong racial issue involved that cannot be ignored. France had, for most of Haiti's history, been pretty even-keeled on racial equality compared to everyone else. Then some white supremacists took hold and insisted on classifying the various degrees of race in Haiti and applying laws based on that. It went over poorly and was a major trigger for the revolution. What had begun as an economic issue turned into a racial one with several magnitudes of greater intensity.

In apparent French tradition though, the Haitian revolution is incredibly complex and convoluted and keeping up with everything as you read through it takes some work. Made more complex by the actual French Revolution going on too, which must have been a delight for the people of Haiti trying to figure out what's what as every other boat that arrived brought news of a new regime and new orders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Is there a list of Philadelphia businesses that were hit? I heard some pharmacies were hit and trying to find out if any rite aid's were and I need to get my Father's prescription filled elsewhere.

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Police are responding to an unconfirmed report of people breaking into the Philadelphia zoo..... wtf.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Networking peeps - any reco's for a modem/router setup thats xfiniti capable, up to 1000MB? I had been reading that the Nighthawk c7000 was the 'go-to' but it apparently doesnt handle the increased speed, nor does it necessarily cover the entire area of the new house, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad