May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
fingers vs toes.

Big toes versus little toes

tenor.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Wait, he didn't alter mail-in ballots?

Guess it shows it's more important to police the voting process than waste resources prosecuting the occasional voter who screws up their registration or mistakenly thinks they had the right to vote.

Reactions: RebusFlyer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
5% of antibody tests in the UK are positive, Health Secretary says

However, the article doesn't note the rate of false positives, which means the actual level of infection is probably well below this level.

252,234 confirmed cases in the UK, 66.65M
3.33M infected would mean 13:1 ratio, but that's the ceiling.
If the tests has a false positive of 5%, then we're looking at more like 7:1 ratio for infected to confirmed.

Coronavirus live news and updates from around the world

Sweden has 7% positive antibody tests.
32,172 confirmed
10.23M people, 716K infected, or a ratio of 22:1.

Spain has 5% positive antibody tests
233,037 confirmed
46.94M, or 2.35M infected, so 10:1 ratio.

However, in both cases, the rate of false positives wasn't given, so again these ratios are ceilings.

Sweden is still nowhere near 'herd immunity,' even though it didn't go into lockdown - CNN

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

They're going to be far from the only ones taking this position. Exactly what constitutes residency for these purposes will be interesting to say the least.

Oddly enough, I don't really have a problem with this. People live in NJ and DE and commute to NY everyday because its worth it to them to pay the lower CoL and get the city wages. I know this seems like corporate greed, but *shrug*

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

They're going to be far from the only ones taking this position. Exactly what constitutes residency for these purposes will be interesting to say the least.

This is slimy as hell. What does it matter where someone chooses to live if they are not only allowed to, but told to, work from home?

Reactions: Asnito

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
This is slimy as hell. What does it matter where someone chooses to live if they are not only allowed to, but told to, work from home?

Every business operates with locality pay - I would make considerably more if my job was based in NY, and considerably less if it was based in Cedar Rapids.

Also, the way that reads to me is that they have the option to work from home. "facebook employees who wish to work remotely, and are approved to do so", "employees currently working who want to extend their WFH plans"

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Every business operates with locality pay - I would make considerably more if my job was based in NY, and considerably less if it was based in Cedar Rapids.

Also, the way that reads to me is that they have the option to work from home. "facebook employees who wish to work remotely, and are approved to do so", "employees currently working who want to extend their WFH plans"
The business is located there not the employees.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
...and the business has a right to have its employees come to work if need be. Telecommuting is benefit of a job, not a right.
Which is correct, but it’s slimy if the company says you only need this much based off of the CoL where you are at, rather than paying the employees what they are worth.
It’s company policy so they can do whatever they want at the end of the day.

Reactions: Starat327

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Oddly enough, I don't really have a problem with this. People live in NJ and DE and commute to NY everyday because its worth it to them to pay the lower CoL and get the city wages. I know this seems like corporate greed, but *shrug*

Like pretty much everything else, it will depend on how well it's implemented. How do you define locality? This is easy for jobs that previously came with office space access. Not so much for new ones. You know how the rounding is going to go with this. If you live in New Brunswick, are you in the NYC or PHL metro?

People are going to try to game the hell out of it too, I'm sure. But it's going to have to be sorted. Some companies will handle it well and others will be abject disasters.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Which is correct, but it’s slimy if the company says you only need this much based off of the CoL where you are at, rather than paying the employees what they are worth.
It’s company policy so they can do whatever they want at the end of the day.

I cant speak for all companies, but i know my company, and the government (to a degree) operate this way. They determine the value of a Job. For giggles, let's just say Business Analyst. A business analyst should Make X. They then say "we want this job to be located in City A. City A has a CoL approximately Y% higher than the national average, so we multiply X * 1.y% and were going to offer the job at this rate. Your statement assumes the full salary of which you are making is purely for the job itself, when that isntt he case. Most employers value your Job at a lower rate, then give you an increased salary base don where you live. So If i went from making 100,000 to 90,000 because i lived in Los Angeles but moved down to Temecula, my 'position' isnt worth less, its just that the market for my job in the new area bears a lower salary, that's all. They could likely find someone who could do my job at a similar level or better for less in that area (obviously not talking about me here, because such a person does not exist).

I agree it 'looks' kinda shady, and its not a move im wildly applauding, but in the grand scheme of things, all they are doing is right-sizing what they didnt do before, essentially.

Reactions: Defect

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yep. A lot of national companies have cost of living adjustments based on location, and on top of that might subsidize commuter costs if need be too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino