All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part VIII: Eight may not be enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Guidelines are total BS:

Trump tells govs 'you are going to call your own shots' and distributes new guidelines - CNNPolitics

Basically, if your case load drops for two weeks, you can start to open up.

But the Federal Government takes no responsibility for increasing testing capacity, providing protective equipment to health workers or masks to the general public, isolation procedures (preventing interstate travel) or contact tracing.

This is a total abdication of leadership: "I've opened up the economy" but did nothing to facilitate this opening.
Any rebound in cases and deaths will be the fault of the Governors, but the GO will take credit for any economic bounce back.

"The Buck Stops Nowhere."

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
More importantly:

20200416_174032.jpg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately, in context of current times, this is almost certainly less a real possibility and more an attempt to divert blame.
Wasn't this being talked about as a possibility way back at the very beginning? Before anyone had done (or didn't do) anything to divert blame from?

Would anyone actually be surprised to hear it was actually from a lab and not where the Chinese government claimed it was from?

I could swear I remember reading something months ago back before people here were really talking about it or taking it seriously. Something with quotes from a Chinese scientist, I think.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Wasn't this being talked about as a possibility way back at the very beginning? Before anyone had done (or didn't do) anything to divert blame from?

Would anyone actually be surprised to hear it was actually from a lab and not where the Chinese government claimed it was from?

I could swear I remember reading something months ago back before people here were really talking about it or taking it seriously. Something with quotes from a Chinese scientist, I think.

It was floating around by conspiracy theorists types earlier I believe.

I was honestly joking with my initial post but nothing would surprise me either way in regards to that.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
How's the play on there now, Mucho fish?

Also are they still swarmed with Russian 'short stack' players?

Its a shit show, and yes there appears to be ALOT of Russians that play.

I am just playing small stakes and home games, so its been fun during the quarantine

Reactions: Asnito

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It was floating around by conspiracy theorists types earlier I believe.

I was honestly joking with my initial post but nothing would surprise me either way in regards to that.

I thought it was discussed as a legit possibility (back when it was still pretty minor news... I'm talking like the very first time I heard anything about the virus), then conspiracy theorists picked it up and ran with it as if it had to be true when the virus became common knowledge, and then people kind of shunned the idea because of the conspiracy theorists and initial reports saying it was from the wet market or whatever.

Could be wrong but that's the impression I got based on what I saw at the time.

Regardless, all I'm saying is nothing would surprise me when it comes to their capacity for misinformation.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's a story of warnings by American diplomats about poor security at a lab in Wuhan.
But it wasn't a bioweapons lab, rather, the Chinese were studying corona viruses b/c they had already experienced MERS and SARS.

Is there any evidence for coronavirus lab release idea?

So if there's some truth to it, it's more about incompetence than some nefarious Chinese plot.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yeah, but so far we haven't seen any real proof. And these are huge claims to be making from a foreign policy fallout perspective. But it's also the kind of "Blame the foreigners ignore our errors" play that this administration would make regardless of the fallout.

If any prior administration were looking into this I'd take it more seriously. It's hard to without real evidence. It's just a big "SO YOU SAY" with a big shrug to me. Maybe poor procedures at a lab made this leak. Or maybe creepy meat markets did it. Until you have firm proof, this isn't something to insinuate. This kind of "blame the outsider even without proof" narrative is the tool of autocracies trying to rally malcontent people around the flag and it's not something we should ever engage in (once upon a time we at least claimed to be above that), but it's pretty hard to discount the possibility that's exactly what's happening.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
I seriously doubt we'll ever know if it came from a lab as it would take somebody stealing/hacking that information.

It's a moot point now as it's an offshoot of a known virus and is with us to stay.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There's a story of warnings by American diplomats about poor security at a lab in Wuhan.
But it wasn't a bioweapons lab, rather, the Chinese were studying corona viruses b/c they had already experienced MERS and SARS.

Is there any evidence for coronavirus lab release idea?

So if there's some truth to it, it's more about incompetence than some nefarious Chinese plot.

The fact that this isn't made clear and they've been content to let people believe it's a conspiracy doesn't make me more likely to take their claims on faith.

Reactions: kudymen and Asnito

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
hmmm....

Monorail Market 2019–Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Market Demand, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast 2025, Research Report by Research Reports World

This article tells me that Bombardier is one of the top Monorail companies. It's trading at $0.30 right now...

Hmmm....

Bombardier is a tire-fire. As someone who lives in Toronto, who has been an idiotically loyal customer, they have been unable to deliver on any of their projects.

Bombardier will fight, but there may not be a path to survival: ‘They’re not going to be around‘

Maybe at thirty cents/share it's an opportunity, but I would still be worried.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The fact that this isn't made clear and they've been content to let people believe it's a conspiracy doesn't make me more likely to take their claims on faith.

The Chinese, like the Russians, don't like to admit to fallibility, remember the events around Chernobyl?
So from the Chinese perspective, better people fear them than laugh at their incompetence.
If the story comes out with confirming evidence, a couple scapegoats will be shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad