All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part VIII: Eight may not be enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Chinese, like the Russians, don't like to admit to fallibility, remember the events around Chernobyl?
So from the Chinese perspective, better people fear them than laugh at their incompetence.
If the story comes out with confirming evidence, a couple scapegoats will be shot.

China is indeed big on disappearing people. Russia puts their targets through weird mousetrap boardgame-type deaths. Like the guy who they claimed had a heart attack while moving his bathtub and yada yada he fell out a window that had bars. They're mad libbing their "coverups" now.

Reactions: Asnito

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I've had 7 shares of Moderna since 3 weeks ago at ~$30. Sold this morning at $42. 4 hours later they get 480mil from the US to expedite vaccine development. It's now up to $50 after hours lol

I'm not that mad though, secured a profit, immediately used it to double down on a COVID penny stock that just released great news today, they should be gapping up at ~10% tomorrow. Also testing a first of its class cancer med pre clinically

Might try to get into Moderna again next paycheck if it falls post funding hype, phase 2 trials for a vaccine late Q2 and phase 3 in the fall. Would be a long hold.

Bought into a penny stock at ~14¢, now up to 27¢, no signs of slowing. Their test kit could be approved in the next 2 weeks. 1300 shares there

Let's goooo.

OGEN killed me though, out 200 there...I deserve this

@Hollywood Couturier

Last edited:

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017

Bombardier is a tire-fire. As someone who lives in Toronto, who has been an idiotically loyal customer, they have been unable to deliver on any of their projects.

Bombardier will fight, but there may not be a path to survival: ‘They’re not going to be around‘

Maybe at thirty cents/share it's an opportunity, but I would still be worried.
IMO the travel industry will be forever impacted. Air travel is going to take a hit but there'll be several carriers still running.

The cruise industry though, I wouldn't bet on any of them. I'm sure some will survive but who the heck will want to take a cruise after seeing all the people infected and the number of ships denied entry.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It’s going to be a long time before public confidence is high enough to want to travel by air, train or anything else. Because this virus is here to stay until at least they get a vaccine. Which is what 18 months out?
The new normal for travel may never be the same again.

Reactions: Asnito

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, but so far we haven't seen any real proof. And these are huge claims to be making from a foreign policy fallout perspective. But it's also the kind of "Blame the foreigners ignore our errors" play that this administration would make regardless of the fallout.

If any prior administration were looking into this I'd take it more seriously. It's hard to without real evidence. It's just a big "SO YOU SAY" with a big shrug to me. Maybe poor procedures at a lab made this leak. Or maybe creepy meat markets did it. Until you have firm proof, this isn't something to insinuate. This kind of "blame the outsider even without proof" narrative is the tool of autocracies trying to rally malcontent people around the flag and it's not something we should ever engage in (once upon a time we at least claimed to be above that), but it's pretty hard to discount the possibility that's exactly what's happening.

Of course. I don't have any opinion on the topic other than "it's certainly possible" until there's something substantial to back it up.

I was just thinking out-loud, specifically about the likelihood/possibility of it being true, separately from anything to do with our current government, their less-than-noble motivations, or the irresponsible nature of premature accusations. I don't trust them, but at the same time I also don't dismiss anything they suggest simply because they're the ones who suggested it (unfortunately some think they tell the truth 100% of the time and some think they lie 100% of the time...).

Especially since it's something that sounds believable. An accidental lab leak and then cover-up by a government obsessed with controlling information and their own reputation? If true I'd be more surprised that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often than I would be that it happened.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
So my mom got her stimulus check today. They deposited 2,400 in her account. Our names are on the account because we have power of attorney. My wife’s initial reaction was that it was our check that went in there but TDBank said no. That would never happen.
Which begs the question, was that an error or are they giving some elderly people the extra money?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
So my mom got her stimulus check today. They deposited 2,400 in her account. Our names are on the account because we have power of attorney. My wife’s initial reaction was that it was our check that went in there but TDBank said no. That would never happen.
Which begs the question, was that an error or are they giving some elderly people the extra money?

Last edited:

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Too bad it wasn't the $8+ million a couple of people got, could've had some fun with that :sarcasm:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Just reading another article on Governor Noem of South Dakota. Holy shit, Is she for real? The situation at the Smithfield plant has the potential to end very badly. The mayor of the city asked her for a lockdown of the county and she has refused. As long as people like that remain in charge things will not get better sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad