All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part VIII: Eight may not be enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I think I'm going to have to disagree with you. There's one that comes to mind that I could totally see striking this pose.

Ah. The key phrase was these days. My bad for not making that clear

Reactions: Asnito

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Open America again....lol

No mention in the phased "plan" to reopen America about plans to better detect/test, trace and isolate

So screwed....30K deaths and counting. National disgrace.

Then you have 350B dollars exhausted that only went to those who had existing lines of credit and not to those small businesses truly in need. Left out in the cold. That's ok....private equity groups that got the other much larger no strings attached tranche of billions will now buy out all those small businesses. Big fish eat little fish in full effect. All going according to plan for the financial oligarchy...

oh and to add insult to the mismanaged first come first served free for all that benefited bigger companies ...they are now lobbying to change the terms from loan to grants.....can't make this shit up. Big business as usual. Mom and pop left to their own devices. Nice job...

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
How America built the best pandemic response system in history – and threw it away

On 8 May 2018, Donald Trump signed Rescission Proposal R18-1, asking the US government to take back $15bn in spending. At the time, coverage of these cuts focussed on the $7bn that would be taken from the Children’s Health Insurance Program. But the 38-page proposal details a swathe of other cuts. Among these was the removal of the remaining $252m budget for International Disaster Assistance that had been committed in 2015 as part of the Ebola response, and the State Department’s $30m Complex Crises Fund. The CDC, in response to previous funding cuts, had already reduced its pandemic preparedness activity in 39 countries. On the day R18-1 was signed, the WHO announced a new outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Last edited:

Hanover Fist

Aug 22, 2018
1313 Mockingbird Lane
The insanity continues as Pelosi shows off her 20,000 dollar fridges. All the while we get a paltry 1200.00 dollars. Talk about rubbing your nose in it. I don't have a problem with being rich but to display your wealth to the nation while we are struggling is just not right. You could bet your life that its the first times in years she served herself.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Running the gambit tonight

20200416_235734.jpg

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don’t think saying that the virus didn’t come from China is the slam dunk against the China travel ban you think it is...

That’s like saying the fact that there hasn’t been a fire means the anti-fire measures didn’t do anything.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I don’t think saying that the virus didn’t come from China is the slam dunk against the China travel ban you think it is...

That’s like saying the fact that there hasn’t been a fire means the anti-fire measures didn’t do anything.

A more apt analogy might be a thief has walked into your house through the open backdoor and stolen your tv. Your defense is that you closed the front door and therefore you did everything possible as greatly and better than anyone else could have so it's not your fault the tv was stolen because you locked the front door.

I don't really love descending into the finger pointing game, but even as a novice who knows not a whole lot about infection control, I do know that something that sits asymptomatic for over a week and is easily infectious is going to spread outside a particular country with great ease, so a single state ban is not going to be an effective strategy in its totality. It might buy you a bit of time, but you better use that time to shore up a whole lot of things for when the inevitable infection does reach your shores.

In short, if your theft protection plan is only locking the front door, you better also be sitting by the back door with a shotgun after you hear someone try the front door.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
A more apt analogy might be a thief has walked into your house through the open backdoor and stolen your tv. Your defense is that you closed the front door and therefore you did everything possible as greatly and better than anyone else could have so it's not your fault the tv was stolen because you locked the front door.

I don't really love descending into the finger pointing game, but even as a novice who knows not a whole lot about infection control, I do know that something that sits asymptomatic for over a week and is easily infectious is going to spread outside a particular country with great ease, so a single state ban is not going to be an effective strategy in its totality. It might buy you a bit of time, but you better use that time to shore up a whole lot of things for when the inevitable infection does reach your shores.

In short, if your theft protection plan is only locking the front door, you better also be sitting by the back door with a shotgun after you hear someone try the front door.

Right, so then the correct move is to lock both doors, not suggest that locking the front door was pointless. It was the right step 1, the problem was not continuing with the correct step 2. All doors and windows should've been locked.

I'm also not talking about the homeowners defense of their own actions. I'm strictly speaking of the actions themselves... specifically the front door part. ;)

Reactions: pit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad