All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part VIII: Eight may not be enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
@Appleyard

It took me until my early 20s to appreciate fighters like Floyd and Sweet Pea Whitaker.
Floyd's technical proficiency is some of my favorite stuff to watch athletically.
In the fight with Manny he just dominated him.
People said he ran and clinched but that shoulve played into Mannys style.
Floyd just beat him to spots every time and those stinging counter right hands stopped Manny in his tracks.
The Canelo fight was thing. Masterclasses.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
@Appleyard

It took me until my early 20s to appreciate fighters like Floyd and Sweet Pea Whitaker.
Floyd's technical proficiency is some of my favorite stuff to watch athletically.
In the fight with Manny he just dominated him.
People said he ran and clinched but that shoulve played into Mannys style.
Floyd just beat him to spots every time and those stinging counter right hands stopped Manny in his tracks.
The Canelo fight was thing. Masterclasses.

Yeh, I still favour guys like Kirland Laing, Mike Tyson, Felix Trinidad, Gennady Golovkin, Keith Thurman, Marcos Maidana tbh... just big hitters with style who love being aggressive... no matter what their specific style so long as have some style and class.

But as I have got older do really enjoy guys like Tyson Fury, Oleksandr Usyk, Terence Crawford and Vasili Lomachenko... I.E. amazing boxers but who will engage and throw when the fight is right, and when it is not be more defensive. Horses for courses with great ring IQ who at some point over career have kind of done everything. Though I really enjoy watching Anthony Joshua too even though not the same "class" they have... and will go to war more if needed.

But even while never exacted overly "enjoyed" Mayweather boxing could still marvel at what he was actually doing. Appreciate more than enjoy really!

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
Manny was a shadow of himself at that point though. I hate that Floyd skipped the fight for years.
Ive argued this in at least 10 countries so i'll just agree to disagree.

Floyd is 2 years older than Manny. Floyd's prime was over after he beat Hatton. In 2007.
Floyd didnt run from Manny. Floyd loves $ more than anything and Manny in 2010 wouldve been his biggest purse to date.
Floyd wanted Manny to take the IOC drug test and Manny refused. Why we'll never know.
Floyd is a lot of things but he never ran from a check. If anything it was Manny who held the fight up.
Not to mention Floyd outclassed Marquez after a 2 year layoff.
The same fighter who Manny never beat cleanly even in his prime.

The result wouldve been the same in 2010 as it was in 2016 imo.

Reactions: Appleyard

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Floyd is 2 years older than Manny. Floyd's prime was over after he beat Hatton. In 2007.
Floyd didnt run from Manny. Floyd loves $ more than anything and Manny in 2010 wouldve been his biggest purse to date.
Floyd wanted Manny to take the IOC drug test and Manny refused. Why we'll never know.
Floyd is a lot of things but he never ran from a check. If anything it was Manny who held the fight up.

Manny's style relies far more on his athletic ability than Floyd's. Floyd is possibly the most efficient fighter ever. As he left his physical peak it just didn't matter for him as much as it mattered for Manny.

The matchup we got was far less interesting than it would have been years earlier. I didn't even bother watching it live because of that. Manny had been an obvious shell of his former self for years. And regardless of whether the result would have been the same, Floyd still very obviously dodged the fight for a long time until it was obvious Manny wasn't a top level fighter anymore. It robbed boxing of its obvious marquee matchup of their era and that is a shame.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
Yeh, I still favour guys like Kirland Laing, Mike Tyson, Felix Trinidad, Gennady Golovkin, Keith Thurman, Marcos Maidana tbh... just big hitters with style who love being aggressive... no matter what their specific style so long as have some style and class.

But as I have got older do really enjoy guys like Tyson Fury, Oleksandr Usyk, Terence Crawford and Vasili Lomachenko... I.E. amazing boxers but who will engage and throw when the fight is right, and when it is not be more defensive. Horses for courses with great ring IQ who at some point over career have kind of done everything. Though I really enjoy watching Anthony Joshua too even though not the same "class" they have... and will go to war more if needed.

But even while never exacted overly "enjoyed" Mayweather boxing could still marvel at what he was actually doing. Appreciate more than enjoy really!
Good list! Tyson is probably my favorite athlete ever regardless of sport.
Havent really been interested in the heavies at all since maybe 2012 or so.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
South Korea to ship 600,000 coronavirus testing kits to the US

• South Korea to send 600,000 COVID-19 test kits to the US on Tuesday
  • Shipment was requested by President Trump in a phone call on March 25
  • Test kits will come from three undisclosed companies who are FDA approved
  • 150,000 addition tests to be exported at a later date from a local retailer
  • South Korea previously shipped test kits to US cities like Los Angeles
  • This is the US's first bulk shipment of test kits ordered by the the federal government
  • South Korea did nationwide testing and secured regulatory approval for tests
  • As of Monday, the US recorded 561,767 infections and 22,129 deaths
  • Trump administration received backlash over COVID-19 response and lack of available test sites
South Korea to ship 600,000 coronavirus testing kits to the US | Daily Mail Online

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
'No excuses!' Donald Trump orders governors to get 'testing programs & apparatus perfected' after 'game-changing' machines he gave them prove virtually useless because they don’t have enough test cartridges

• President Trump has told governors it's their responsibility to start testing residents for coronavirus, warning there's 'no excuses' for inaction
  • Trump's latest comments come days after the federal government purchased a fleet of rapid coronavirus testing machines and distributed them last week
  • However, excitement among Governors who lauded the prospect of being able to run up to 3,000 tests per day quickly dissipated shortly after they arrived
  • The frustrated parties said the machines are actually sitting idle because they weren't given enough supplies to use them
  • Trump has faced fierce criticism over nationwide testing shortages that have crippled the US response to coronavirus, which has killed at least 21,692
Trump warns governors there's 'no excuses' for not testing residents despite 'useless' test kits | Daily Mail Online

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
America should brace itself for 18 MONTHS of shutdowns as US economy faces 'long, hard road' to recovery from coronavirus pandemic, Federal Reserve President warns

• Federal Reserve Bank President Neel Kashkari says he expects the journey to economic recovery from the coronavirus pandemic will be a 'long, hard road'
  • Kashkari said projections for a quick economic turnaround were optimistic unless a vaccine for COVID-19 became available in the next few months
  • He warned that Americans should prepare themselves for 18 months of rolling shutdowns, as parts of the economy are likely to shut on and off again
  • In the last three weeks, the US has suffered in excess of 16 million job losses - equivalent to nearly 10 percent of the nation's workforce
  • As of Sunday night, as many as 22,701 Americans had died from coronavirus
America should brace itself for 18 MONTHS of shutdowns as economy faces 'long road' to recovery | Daily Mail Online

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
Last one for today as I don't want to derail the thread:thumbu:

Fired USS Theodore Roosevelt Captain Brett Crozier feared 50 of his crew would DIE from coronavirus and knew controversial letter pleading for more help would cost him his job, friends claim

• Cozier is said to have watched on helplessly as COVID-19 ravaged through the narrow corridors of Naval aircraft carrier in late March
  • Nearly 80 percent of the ship's crew of 4,000 have been evacuated from the ship
  • There have been 585 positive cases on board the air carrier
  • Having been warned by doctors aboard the vessel that more than 50 sailors on would die without drastic intervention, Crozier pleaded for an evacuation
  • After four consecutive days of rebuttals from his superiors, on March 30, Crozier took matters into his own hands and composed an unclassified email
  • Friends of Crozier said the 30-year veteran would have known sending the email would likely end his career, but he persevered regardless
  • Three weeks on and Crozier is currently quarantined in Guam, along with 584 other crew members, after they all contracted COVID-19 aboard the ship
  • More than 1,700 sailors who have tested negative are isolating in hotels, while the sick remain on base, Navy officials said
  • Thomas Modly, meanwhile, has resigned as acting Navy secretary after he admitted to sacking Crozier because he thought it was 'what Trump would want'
Fired USS Theodore Roosevelt Captain Brett Crozier knew whistleblower email would cost him his job | Daily Mail Online

Reactions: Rebels57

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

I think people have been prone to underrate the fighters he beat... but only after he beat them.

As much as I love Hatton (I coached his nephew for a while at water polo when I was ~16) Floyd ENDED Hatton's prime. He was never the same. Had great success early on vs Floyd, Floyd looked a bit overwhelmed and a bit worried about the punch power, especially to body... and then figured him out and baited him into exposing himself, which he was not doing early on.

Pacquiao beat Thurman (albeit it was veeery close after Thurman lay-off) years later...

Cotto was still in prime... had only lost to Pacquiao and KOd by Margarito (which could happen to close to anyone at that point! Margarito had only lost to Williams in the previous 10 years (Santos fight, yeh, but from a cut from headbutt.)
Mosley had only lost to Forrest and Cotto at welter when he fought Mayweather. Maybe not right in prime, but him being over the hill I think is overstated...
Guerrero had one dodgy loss on his record 8 years earlier when fought Mayweather.
Corrales was unbeaten and had ran through featherweight when Mayweather faced him.
People say about Canelo "inexperience" but look at who he rolled over 2-3 years EITHER side of that fight. Several world class fighters. And then the weight he has gone up to...

Yeh, Judah I think was already half done after Baldomir loss and did cause Mayweather a bit of trouble.
And I would have been very interested to see him fight De La Hoya a few years earlier... but De La Hoya was still damn, damn good at that point. And it was not Mayweathers fault...

It would have been fun to see Mayweather vs:

Margarito
Williams
Casamayor
Tszyu
Johnston

But he did not "duck" any of them... and those are really the only five guys who were "world class" for a while I can think of in a realistic weight range he did not fight. And odds are he would have beat all of them. Maybe Williams could have... maybe... but Mayweather beat De La Hoya, who was basically a classier, orthodox Williams in terms of size and relentless punching size, so doubtful.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hatton was really fun to watch. Apparently he also had some severe issues out of the ring that didn't help him recover, but he ran face-first into so many hard punches against Mayweather that I'm not sure he was gonna be the same either way.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hatton was really fun to watch. Apparently he also had some severe issues out of the ring that didn't help him recover, but he ran face-first into so many hard punches against Mayweather that I'm not sure he was gonna be the same either way.

Yeh... everyone in Manchester knew he loved to party. Heavy drinker, ate a lot of crap, also got hooked on cocaine (by most accounts a really, really nice guy though... I cant say... I met him twice and totalled 20 seconds of interaction). I bumped into him once at 4am in the morning in the city centre as he was on a morning run... I guess trying to lose weight for the Senchenko fight from a timeframe perspective, he looked heavier than me at 4 inches smaller. He just ballooned in weight between fights... like 180-190lbs when fought at 140lbs most of career.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeh... everyone in Manchester knew he loved to party. Heavy drinker, ate a lot of crap, also got hooked on cocaine (by most accounts a really, really nice guy though... I cant say... I met him twice and totalled 20 seconds of interaction). I bumped into him once at 4am in the morning in the city centre as he was on a morning run... I guess trying to lose weight for the Senchenko fight from a timeframe perspective, he looked heavier than me at 4 inches smaller. He just ballooned in weight between fights... like 180-190lbs when fought at 140lbs most of career.

Yeah, I've also been told that he had massive weight fluctuations as well, which couldn't have exactly helped his cause.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Cotto was still in prime... had only lost to Pacquiao and KOd by Margarito (which could happen to close to anyone at that point! Margarito had only lost to Williams in the previous 10 years (Santos fight, yeh, but from a cut from headbutt.)

Cotto's prime is an interesting discussion.

The 140 version had no nuance to him at all relative to the level he was fighting. He came forward and he body punched. The chin issues (like being damn near finished vs Torres) were blamed on the weight cuts, so he goes to 147 and takes some brutal shots from Judah and keeps coming, which seem to confirm this. For me, the prime ends at Margarito I, whether it was dirty or not.

In that brutal stretch with Clottey-Pac-Mayorga in under 2 years, he's now fighting off of his back foot much more often. He's not as aggressive about setting up the left hooks. I think mentally he wasn't the same until Margarito II and had started to decline physically by the time he was sorted out upstairs. Still a very good fighter, of course. But not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->