All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part VI - The Flyers Fred Arthur wore #6, he quit to be a doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Funny story about me that i just remembered:

in 2017, my brother had a chance to get me an original pressing on 2001: Space Odyssey on Vinyl. He passed it up to get me a different christmas gift.

So i posted a colorful response to that behavior on facebook, and declared that my brother was dead to me. I started an event page on Facebook for his Candlelit Vigil and had like 20 people meet me at the Park by my house to mourn his "death."

Unbeknownst to me, was people took this seriously and people were reaching out to my mom to offer their condolences. My brother actually had to respond to lame posts on his facebook that were about what he meant to them.

Maybe the best thing to ever happen to me

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
There are a number of very promising field reports about hydroxychloroquine & z-pak saving lives of those with COVID-19.

How you know that the complete lockdown isn’t just about prioritizing saving lives despite all the virtue signaling—many of the same people virtue signaling about saving lives are very anti prescribing chloroquine.

This is a drug that has been around for 65 years with a strong safety profile; drugs are used off label all the time; & there have been good reports from doctors prescribing it to coronavirus patients.

Spite is the most powerful human emotion, & it seems pretty clear to me that many people’s opinions are formed first & foremost by wanting Trump to crash & burn & not be right about anything. I swear if he said hydroxychloroquine needed to go through a year of further tests the same people would be calling it an outrage & harping for fast-tracking & off-label use.

Hell, Dr. Fauci was all-about off-label, untested drugs for MERS coronavirus in 2013:
We don't have to start designing new drugs," a process that takes years, Fauci says. "The next time someone comes into an emergency room in Qatar or Saudi Arabia, you would have drugs that are readily available. And at least you would have some data."
Even though the treatment hasn't gone through definitive trials, Fauci says, "if I were a physician in a hospital and someone were dying, rather than do nothing, you can see if these work."
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Scientists fight deadly new coronavirus

Funny how he’s changed his tune.

You can tell that many media members & Democrats in general are actually rooting *against* this potential treatment to the point of trying to find reasons why it shouldn’t even be tried (thankfully the Nevada & Michigan’s governors’ stupid highly restrictive orders were overturned). Why? Because Trump being wrong is more important than potentially saving lives with a promising off-label treatment.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Thank god there were various hockey-related posts I have seen since 2011 on here which - when I have read them - lead me to thinking "did he really mean that, is this serious?" And I have learned to just leave them alone. Because there were a couple of sentences on the past few pages that got my eyes rolling way too much.

I will just quote myself here instead.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
There are a number of very promising field reports about hydroxychloroquine & z-pak saving lives of those with COVID-19.

How you know that the complete lockdown isn’t just about prioritizing saving lives despite all the virtue signaling—many of the same people virtue signaling about saving lives are very anti prescribing chloroquine.

This is a drug that has been around for 65 years with a strong safety profile; drugs are used off label all the time; & there have been good reports from doctors prescribing it to coronavirus patients.

Spite is the most powerful human emotion, & it seems pretty clear to me that many people’s opinions are formed first & foremost by wanting Trump to crash & burn & not be right about anything. I swear if he said hydroxychloroquine needed to go through a year of further tests the same people would be calling it an outrage & harping for fast-tracking & off-label use.

Hell, Dr. Fauci was all-about off-label, untested drugs for MERS coronavirus in 2013:
We don't have to start designing new drugs," a process that takes years, Fauci says. "The next time someone comes into an emergency room in Qatar or Saudi Arabia, you would have drugs that are readily available. And at least you would have some data."
Even though the treatment hasn't gone through definitive trials, Fauci says, "if I were a physician in a hospital and someone were dying, rather than do nothing, you can see if these work."
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

You can tell that many media members & Democrats in general are actually rooting *against* this potential treatment to the point of trying to find reasons why it shouldn’t even be tried (thankfully the Nevada & Michigan’s governors’ stupid highly restrictive orders were overturned). Why? Because Trump being wrong is more important than potentially saving lives with a promising off-label treatment.
Nice strawman

You seem to be under the misconception that just because the drug cocktail isn't approved/is being used off label that it's some taboo thing to use. As you said, things are used off label all the time. HCQ +/- azithro is being used off label on a widespread basis for COVID-19 treatment. It's not about not using HCQ and azithro, it's about the president touting it as some sort of miracle or cure. It isn't. Many in healthcare are skeptical of its efficacy (and now there's even conflicting trials), but it's still being used because hey- why not. Other meds are being used too, like actemra.

Lies, misinformation, and denial are running rampant throughout this whole crisis and it starts from the very tippy top: the president.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
So I'm gonna go back to my question from 2 weeks ago since a eli5 answer isn't reported so..simply...are things getting better or are are we no where near peak of this

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So I'm gonna go back to my question from 2 weeks ago since a eli5 answer isn't reported so..simply...are things getting better or are are we no where near peak of this

I guess it depends where at. I haven’t checked the numbers for today yet but there was some cautious optimism in Sunday & Monday’s numbers (with a caveat that they have lagged some over the time frame compared to the rest of the week).

Other parts of the country are a lot different than others though but the peak is expected to be around the middle of the month but the expectations for Pennsylvania/Philadelphia aren’t looking that bad last I checked compared to others.

New York/New York City are basically in a league of their own at this point. They’re contributing 30-40% of our numbers as a country. Compare to LA/California who aren’t significantly behind them in testing but their mortality rates & positive tests are much better.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Trump can say whatever he wants but it has been shown to have positive effects and does not have much risk with a pretty much normal ECG. For those who don’t know, there’s not that much treatment for viruses anyway. So throw everything at it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'm laughing at the last paragraph as I ponder my father, a staunchly conservative doctor and Trump supporter, and his other doctor buddies of the same persuasion, and how they are disgusted by Trump's treatment of various unproven medications and how there is sincere risk that he could be contaminating the process. My father has spent 30 years running god knows how much medication research, so he'd know something about it.

This is once again not a Dem/Republican thing. This is a competency/incompetency thing. Trump is going about this with incompetence. That isn't subjective. It is objective fact. I've pointed out that he is actively working against the National Incident Management System that every state, locality, and Fed agency are trying to use, creating massive systemic conflicts and inefficiencies. I've also been told by medical experts that his handling of hydroxychloroquine is also irresponsible at best.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Trump can say whatever he wants but it has been shown to have positive effects and does not have much risk with a pretty much normal ECG. For those who don’t know, there’s not that much treatment for viruses anyway. So throw everything at it.

Positive effects so far are so moderate that it's not worth potentially taking these drugs from people who have diseases they are more effective for, or removing manufacturing capacity from other drugs to ramp up production of this one. The positive upside isn't shown to be there to justify that risk. Maybe it will be at some point.

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
Positive effects so far are so moderate that it's not worth potentially taking these drugs from people who have diseases they are more effective for, or removing manufacturing capacity from other drugs to ramp up production of this one. The positive upside isn't shown to be there to justify that risk. Maybe it will be at some point.
Until you are one it works for.

Reactions: TheKingPin

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Did you also read the Yahoo article where Trump's investment in said company is through a mutual fund and amounts to about $1300. That's a Yahoo article, hardly in Trump's back pocket.

what yahoo article? Yahoo constantly grabs stories and reprints them. So I would like verification where this was printed from. There are plenty of conservative papers that yahoo reprints from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad