All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part IX: [READ SITE RULE IN OP] Monorail Business Is A Boomin

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There is plenty of motivation there.

There are reports that up to 80% are asymptomatic. There is no way the total infected is just double. No way. It’s easily in to the millions. The dead from it is pretty accurate. The death rate will be around 1% max imo. That’s still a lot but we got lucky it wasn’t more. Or that it didn’t cause paralysis or brain damage. Or cirrhosis. Or kidney failure. All those things are still on the table but this isn’t the worst thing that could have caused a pandemic. That many asymptotic is pretty telling.

We simply don't know.
If the rate is
80% - 4% mortality rate becomes 0.8% (still 6-7 times the worst flu with the potential to infect 2 to 4X as many people)
50% - 4% mortality rate becomes 2.0%
25% - 4% mortality rate becomes 3.0%

"What did we learn (see the table for the analysis)
  • That between 5% and 80% of people testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 may be asymptomatic
  • That symptom-based screening will miss cases, perhaps a lot of them
  • That some asymptomatic cases will become symptomatic over the next week (sometimes known as “pre-symptomatics”)
  • That children and young adults can be asymptomatic
We also learnt that there is not a single reliable study to determine the number of asymptotics. It is likely we will only learn the true extent once population based antibody testing is undertaken."

COVID-19: What proportion are asymptomatic? - CEBM

Estimating the asymptomatic proportion of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship, Yokohama, Japan, 2020
Hidden coronavirus infections could be seeding new outbreaks
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.20.20025866v2

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I work for a tech company and we were set up to work from home, and often did an hour or two of overtime remotely on weeknights and weekends. But as recently as a couple of years ago we still had to come in in terrible winter weather (or use vacation time) when we could have easily done our jobs from home for a day. Looking back now it seems ridiculous, but until we really HAD to work from home I guess it just didn't occur to management.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
One of you is going to have to take the fall

A Message from the Campaign for HF Freedom -- HC/Starat 2020

We regret to inform you that at approximately 10:23 a.m, a vicious cyber assault attacked the personal devices of Hollywood Couturier and Starat327. These assaults attempted to allude to the idea that both candidates were in some way, shape, or form connected to some sort of insider trading ring. We want to categorically deny that these posts were in any way true. This campaign is intent on restoring the freedoms of the HF people, and would never compromise that intent for personal gain.

Rest assured we are working diligently to identify the root of the attack. As of now, our folks have identified that the IP came from the Lehigh Valley area, and we'll have more information shortly.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

82fbffc457e16a624982e20b121100918e3bfe3cd7404d36d7ccc9c12ac2db0a.jpg

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Pajama pants or basketball shorts all day, every day. Do something about it, fascists.

mBZpAWh.gif

My preference in summer when working from home is usually:

A vest... Vans loose fit ones generally. Handy pocket on the front as well for... pens and stuff?
Surf shorts. (netting=no annoying underwear needed... and can go and jump in bodies of water with no worries if I want to)

But right now it is:
Tshirt
Cable knit jumper
Jeans

As the weather is unpredictable as f*** and if I was in a vest and shorts I would be a bit cold when there is a draft.

I actually really find well fitted jeans comfortable.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nope, we do the exact opposite. People love crooked politicians. They've been voting for them for years.

Oops, this wasn't a PM.

BREAKING NEWS:
Sources: Vice President/President Hopeful Ruled Ineligible Due To Not Reaching The Age Requirement

According to multiple confirmed sources, it has been determined that Presidential/Vice Presidential hopeful @Striiker has been ruled out of the race due to not meeting the minimum age requirement to hold office.

Please stand by as this is an ongoing situation and we will get you more information as it comes in.

We regret to inform you that at approximately 10:23 a.m, a vicious cyber assault attacked the personal devices of Hollywood Couturier and Starat327. These assaults attempted to allude to the idea that both candidates were in some way, shape, or form connected to some sort of insider trading ring. We want to categorically deny that these posts were in any way true. This campaign is intent on restoring the freedoms of the HF people, and would never compromise that intent for personal gain.

Rest assured we are working diligently to identify the root of the attack. As of now, our folks have identified that the IP came from the Lehigh Valley area, and we'll have more information shortly.

fad87327-cfa7-4d80-a730-427bd889d455_text.gif

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Good news is that there will never be proper data for anyone to actually pat themselves on their back about "I was right, the rate was thiiiiiis low". Lots of cases are asymptomatic, officials (at least in CZE) love to talk about how "this guy had corona but actually he had sooooooooooo many other problems", various countries do not look for corona in fatalities who were not positively tested prior death (or were asymptomatic; Italy doesnt even have capacities to do that) etc.
I.e. its a great talking point for internet pissing match - but there is (or will be) hardly enough sufficient, quality data to support claim of either side of the argument.

Reports on numbers of asymptomatic should viewed cautiously. First, reports have been bouncing that number all the way from 20% to 80%, that I've seen. That's quite an enormous MOE. Secondly, how many of those are false positives, how many are presymptomatic vs. asymptomatic, etc.? We need vastly expanded testing capacity to have the best possible data on hand if we're going to be able to make informed decisions moving forward, and this administration seems completely incapable of addressing that.

I’m drawing on my professional experience as well. I am seeing people come to the hospital asymptotic and fell off a ladder, MVCs etc and having pneumonia. More people with clear lungs coming in for abdominal pain and or diarrhea testing positive. The antibody testing will give a very good idea on the spread.

Fletch prob requested Minnesota for games.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I’m drawing on my professional experience as well. I am seeing people come to the hospital asymptotic and fell off a ladder, MVCs etc and having pneumonia. More people with clear lungs coming in for abdominal pain and or diarrhea testing positive. The antibody testing will give a very good idea on the spread.

Fletch prob requested Minnesota for games.

Oh I was not getting at anything you said - I am just sceptical regarding if we will ever see one actual trustowrthy mortality number, given all the variables.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Wait a second...

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad