All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part IX: [READ SITE RULE IN OP] Monorail Business Is A Boomin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Continue here...

MSE edit...
This information is coming from an admin who posted it on the main board. Any violation or deviation and the entire post will be removed. Follow this for the benefit of the forum.

Based on the original language as stated on the main board from site admins)...

Welcome to the COVID-19 Forum. This is going to be an all consuming subject for some time. We think it deserves its own forum.
This forum is not limited to hockey-related talk.
You may critique the response of government but don't make it political.

Posts attributing motives because it involves this or that political party/politician/ideology will not be tolerated.
Examples:
Allowed: "Trump doesn't know what he's doing, the response was too little too late"
Not Allowed: "The only reason the response was so slow was to keep the stock prices high so he can get reelected"
Allowed: "The media is over-reporting this and it's going to make things worse"
Not Allowed: "The liberal media is over-reporting this because they're trying to bring down Trump"

Miracle cures, home remedies, and medical advice should not be posted.

Be careful what you link to
, treat it like the trade forum we don't want to spread bad information.
How you're preparing, how this is affecting your community, news and information are the types of discussion this forum is for.
Pardon our dust we're going to be working out the kinks on this, if you have any recommendations or ideas you can send them to me VIA conversation message.
"This Forum does not provide medical advice It is intended for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the internet. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Asnito and Striiker

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
QGn2yo.gif

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
LeBrun: Fans engage in tug-of-war over when NHL should...

there is a large financial incentive to conduct a postseason, even with no fans in the stands. According to sources, a significant portion of the NHL’s national broadcast/media revenue is generated during the playoffs. And there’s also sponsorship revenue dedicated to the playoffs as well. That revenue can still be preserved.

How much? I’m told between $400 million to $500 million. However, after I speculated those numbers on “Insider Trading” on Thursday, another industry source told me those numbers were a tad ambitious. Either way, there’s significant money tied to the completion of the playoffs.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As of last night:

John Hopkins, 662,045 confirmed, 28,998 dead, 4.38% mortality rate
3,420,394 tested (though some may be multiples, especially health workers)

CDC (day lag) 632,220 confirmed, 26,930 dead, an additional 4,141 probable but not confirmed
4.25% mortality of confirmed, 4.91% including probable.

Even if half of infected aren't counted, that's a mortality rate > 2%, 2017-18 flu had a mortality rate of 0.13%

Hey, but lets open the country up without rapid and accurate testing (results within a few hours) universally available, no resources for tracing (especially across state lines) and no authority and monitoring in place to enforce isolation.

If you watch the John Hopkins map by population (rate, not total cases) you see an interesting phenomena of hot spots starting to appear away from the big metro centers - in two weeks I predict the rates in these areas will be similar to the big cities.

COVID-19 United States Cases by County

I'm staying home, but feel free to die for me.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
As of last night:

John Hopkins, 662,045 confirmed, 28,998 dead, 4.38% mortality rate
3,420,394 tested (though some may be multiples, especially health workers)

CDC (day lag) 632,220 confirmed, 26,930 dead, an additional 4,141 probable but not confirmed
4.25% mortality of confirmed, 4.91% including probable.

Even if half of infected aren't counted, that's a mortality rate > 2%, 2017-18 flu had a mortality rate of 0.13%

Hey, but lets open the country up without rapid and accurate testing (results within a few hours) universally available, no resources for tracing (especially across state lines) and no authority and monitoring in place to enforce isolation.

If you watch the John Hopkins map by population (rate, not total cases) you see an interesting phenomena of hot spots starting to appear away from the big metro centers - in two weeks I predict the rates in these areas will be similar to the big cities.

COVID-19 United States Cases by County

I'm staying home, but feel free to die for me.

I think by now it's gotten through to most people. There are still going to be your idiots that are on the verge of tears for not being able to find lawn fertilizer or protest because they want to get their hair dyed, but it feels like a lunatic fringe now.

This could also be because I've cut the idiots out of my life wherever possible and I don't have a Facebook, but here's hoping.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
People talk about "China" covering up how bad the virus was, but it's a bit more complicated than that.

W.H.O., Now Trump’s Scapegoat, Warned About Coronavirus Early and Often

A crucial turning point in the pandemic came on Jan. 20, after China’s central government sent the country’s most famous epidemiologist, Zhong Nanshan, to Wuhan to investigate the new coronavirus racing through that city of 11 million people. Dr. Zhong delivered a startling message on national television: Local officials had covered up the seriousness of the outbreak, the contagion spread quickly between people, doctors were dying and everyone should avoid the city.

Dr. Zhong, an eccentric 83-year-old who led the fight against the SARS outbreak of 2002 and 2003, was one of few people in China with enough standing to effectively call Wuhan’s mayor, Zhou Xianwang, a rising official in the Communist Party, a liar.

Reactions: Rebels57

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I think by now it's gotten through to most people. There are still going to be your idiots that are on the verge of tears for not being able to find lawn fertilizer or protest because they want to get their hair dyed, but it feels like a lunatic fringe now.

This could also be because I've cut the idiots out of my life wherever possible and I don't have a Facebook, but here's hoping.

I present to you - the state of michigan.

Reactions: Asnito and Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
God forbid you hear a different perspective.

The fact is COVID-19 is drastically less deadly in the US than the wildly incorrect models upon which the shutdown of an entire country was based.

The original purpose of the shutdown was to “flatten the curve” to prevent hospitals from being overrun.

Well, the curve ended up being way flatter than expected. NY is now giving ventilators away. CA, for all of its population, has emerged relatively unscathed. But now it’s gone to a bait & switch of not flattening the curve, but extinguishing the virus altogether. Keeping the country & economy shut down in an effort to completely eradicate this virus is unfeasible & a grossly disproportionate response to the threat.

I guarantee that when all is said & done the true US death rate from COVID-19 is ~ 0.5%.

This is a multi-faceted equation, not single-faceted. It’s not just about preventing as many deaths as possible in the immediate present. There are a multitude of factors & ripple effects. We’d ban driving if preventing all deaths at all costs took precedence over everything.

But life inherently has risk. And it’s always a balancing act, not all or nothing.

What this health scare should remind everyone is the need to maintain a baseline of decent health, as the overwhelming majority of deaths are due to existing health problems — obesity & diabetes being among the most highly correlated.

Reactions: DAVIDE1333

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I think you can tell from my post that I watched the video, but that's a few thousand people in a state with a population of ~10 Million. There are always going to be idiots. We can only hope for that being the strong minority and that they don't kill the rest of us.

An old George Carlin line comes to mind, something about never underestimating the power of stupid people in large groups.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I think you can tell from my post that I watched the video, but that's a few thousand people in a state with a population of ~10 Million. There are always going to be idiots. We can only hope for that being the strong minority and that they don't kill the rest of us.

Oh, I know. I just really wanted to take a cheap shot at Michigan.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Obviously, you never spent much time in Texas.
Lot's and lot's of idiots, starting with the Governor and Lt Governor.
Rugged individualism, meet the COVID-19 virus.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
An old George Carlin line comes to mind, something about never underestimating the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sigh. You're not wrong. But it makes it so difficult to have real conversations when you have to account for lunacy.

We could be talking about where we could be doing tiny cascading rollouts or how we're going to try to adapt the workforce so that people can eat. Instead, people protest and show their grey roots as evidence of hardship and we all sink into the quagmire together.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I guarantee that when all is said & done the true US death rate from COVID-19 is ~ 0.5%.

Would you bet your life on that?
Or the lives of your loved ones?

How can you "guarantee" anything without massive testing, both for infections and anti-bodies, and studies of immunity?

It's quite possible the true death rate will be much lower, IF social distancing continues long enough for first a treatment to be developed (lowering the death rate) and eventually a vaccine.

On the other hand, if the "Red" states, with a high proportion of older, obese citizens with health conditions, open up prematurely, without adequate hospital capacity (a lot of rural areas will be quickly overwhelmed), the rate could actually rise.

We're still in the Rumsfeld "unknown unknowns" phase of the pandemic.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Sigh. You're not wrong. But it makes it so difficult to have real conversations when you have to account for lunacy.

We could be talking about where we could be doing tiny cascading rollouts or how we're going to try to adapt the workforce so that people can eat. Instead, people protest and show their grey roots as evidence of hardship and we all sink into the quagmire together.

Curious how you think this'll affect your line of business -- We're doing some revenue modeling/forecasting for whatever the new 'normal' ends up being, and they all kind of revolve around x% of the workforce continuing to work from home even after all this is done. It's less overhead for the company, a great perk for the employee, etc. Obviously, that has corresponding effects on your side of things - are you guys getting increased requests for stuff along those lines?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->