All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion IV - Splendid Isolation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Higher population density

Ask the Irish how that's working for them.

Ahhhhhh clearly you two now nothing about science. If you arent going to back read @Ghosts Beer breakdown of the science don't be posting your uninformed opinions.

Sucks to hear man.

It's not the worst, we have schedule protection so I'm still being paid for it. Plus I have a flight test on the 10th so this is giving me tons of time to study (I'm playing video games instead)

Reactions: Tripod

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Ahhhhhh clearly you two now nothing about science. If you arent going to back read @Ghosts Beer breakdown of the science don't be posting your uninformed opinions.

It's not the worst, we have schedule protection so I'm still being paid for it. Plus I have a flight test on the 10th so this is giving me tons of time to study (I'm playing video games instead)
Flight simulator 5, right?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'll go tell Boris Johnson he's got nothing to worry about.

This is like the opposite of common sense. As has been already pointed out to you, population density matters far more than total geographic area. South Korea is the 23rd most densely populated country in the world. The US is 179th.
UK is 2.5x the size of S. Korea & has multiple times the international travel.

Testing doesn’t cure COVID. What S. Korea did do was get testing out fast & quarantine carriers fast.

But the insinuation that a different (Democrat) administration would have acted differently & quicker than the current Republican one in the US is BS. Dems criticized the Trump China travel ban in January, & NY govt leaders were encouraging citizens to ride the Metro & go out into the city into almost mid-March.

Reactions: DAVIDE1333

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
More like islands save lives!

Adjustments.plist.jpg

giphy.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Testing doesn’t cure COVID. What S. Korea did do was get testing out fast & quarantine carriers fast.

But the insinuation that a different (Democrat) administration would have acted differently & quicker than the current Republican one in the US is BS. Dems criticized the Trump China travel ban in January, & NY govt leaders were encouraging citizens to ride the Metro & go out into the city into almost mid-March.

It isn't Dem vs GOP.

It's competent vs incompetent. It's about someone willing to use existing resources, management structures, agencies, and professionals vs someone unwilling or resistant to using those things. It's about having someone capable of the abstract thought required to imagine future consequences based on existing data and acting accordingly, vs someone incapable of that.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I'm FINALLY going to be able to work from home for the first time tomorrow. The past two days of trying to get everyone else all set up with the tech AND have shit to actually do has been killing me. Imagine having to coordinate remote working with a Luddite Boomer, an obstinate deaf guy, and another guy with a short fuse who's also trying to make sure his kids are doing their online school while doing his own job. Throw in the circus that is the county IT department and I just want to drink myself blind.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

I wonder if they did this because they just assumed the Leafs would be eliminated by now

I'm not surprised to hear this. A lot of the population of the city has been really good about following suggestions but on the couple of times I have had to make supply runs I was still seeing more poor behaviour than one might like out there. We haven't hit shelter at home yet, but we're edging there if people don't wise up.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
IMPORTANT: Toronto's ban is exclusively city-led events. This does not affect NHL/NBA/etc. from returning.

City exec of the Mayor's office told me via email, when asked if this affects pro sports:

"No, (the Mayor) was speaking City permitted events like parades and festivals."

Have to imagine it does affect those leagues from returning with regards to having fans in the stands though.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It isn't Dem vs GOP.

It's competent vs incompetent. It's about someone willing to use existing resources, management structures, agencies, and professionals vs someone unwilling or resistant to using those things. It's about having someone capable of the abstract thought required to imagine future consequences based on existing data and acting accordingly, vs someone incapable of that.

This continual use of strawmen in a thread this serious is absolutely embarrassing.

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But it's Obama's market that he left that has been pushing the economy for the last three+ years, right?

Pretty much, other than a small 2 quarter blip due to the Keynesian stimulus from a trillion dollar tax cut, growth under Trump is similar to growth under Obama, and in both cases similar to the trend since the 1970s.

The growth from 1947-1973 was the anomaly, historically, growth rates have been about 2.5% a year in real terms, with 1% due to population growth. Reducing immigration, combined with a lower birth rate, will push that down to 1.5-2.0% in the future.

Productivity growth has declined because we've run out of of "General Purpose Technologies" that are the engine of productivity growth.
Computers and the internet haven't been nearly as dramatic as say electricity was 100 years ago.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Blasio isn't the norm for the Democratic party, Cuomo is.

A Democrat administration would have left the Pandemic group intact on the NSC, and it would be leading the way.
It's unlikely a Democratic President would have been as obstinate about ignoring scientific experts, or have three incompetents like Mnuchin, Kudlow and Navarro making economic policy.
Nor would a Democrat listen to the Chamber of Commerce and refrain from using the Defense Production Act.

So yeah, odds are a Democratic administration would have been more prepared and would have acted much quicker, simply because they wouldn't have been constrained by an ideology that prevented the Federal Government from taking the lead, nor would they have been as likely to put spooking the market before saving lives.

Yukon Cornelius

Oct 10, 2019
SC PA
Going to have to edit this post with the link, but according to a USA Today article the virus may have been here back in Fall of '19, before this was a thing to most people; before anyone even threw the word 'pandemic' out there.

Back around Christmas or New Year I caught what was seemingly a cold that had a persistent cough along with it. The cough was fairly painful and lasted about 10-14 days along with some fatigue and aches. I never went to the doctor for it, but rather took some meds and got through it. Took a day off from work and carried on like normal. I remember the cough taking maybe a bit longer to go away.

I wondered people's thoughts on this. Is it legitimate to wonder if maybe you've already had this and recovered? Does anyone have a similar experience to share?

Edit here's the link: Coronavirus fact check: Could your December cough have been COVID-19?
I had a similar thing, it first hit me the day after Xmas, two days of a bad sore throat, then my sinuses were on fire and draining like mad for several days. I also had a very persistent dry cough....productive, but only after extreme hacking, and the hacking gave me headaches. The cough lessened a couple of days after New Years.

At the time I called it "the cold from hell". However, I did have a fever for two days somewhere in the middle of it all. It was 60 degrees in my house and I had a fan blowing on me and was burning up. Not long before Xmas I had two watches shipped via 2 day air from China. If this virus is as persistent on surfaces as they say it is, it could be possible they were infected. Like you, I'm wondering if I've had it already. Maybe what I had was something else, I don't know. Many people at work were sick with a similar thing at the time. Most said they had gotten flu shots, and that it wasn't the flu.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Pretty much, other than a small 2 quarter blip due to the Keynesian stimulus from a trillion dollar tax cut, growth under Trump is similar to growth under Obama, and in both cases similar to the trend since the 1970s.

The growth from 1947-1973 was the anomaly, historically, growth rates have been about 2.5% a year in real terms, with 1% due to population growth. Reducing immigration, combined with a lower birth rate, will push that down to 1.5-2.0% in the future.

Productivity growth has declined because we've run out of of "General Purpose Technologies" that are the engine of productivity growth.
Computers and the internet haven't been nearly as dramatic as say electricity was 100 years ago.

Having the only industrial and agricultural bases that weren't heavily rearranged with high explosives, and then pushing tariff-free trade coming out of the war to prevent punitive tariffs that reduce demand for our goods, probably had a bit to do with it if I have to guess.

The Marshall Plan getting Europe up and running at breakneck speed (which pumped money into our own economy) so they can also consume our products wasn't exactly harmful either.

That's only part of that particular puzzle though.

Edit: Oh I forgot about our intact transportation network too.

Last edited:

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

Even talking about party or partisan politics during these times is so painfully American.

Reactions: kudymen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad