All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion IV - Splendid Isolation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
A useful piece in the American Journal of Clinical Pathology on the status of SARS-CoV-2/Covid-19 testing:

SARS-CoV-2 Testing: Trials and Tribulations

An article in STAT about serology tests:

The next frontier in coronavirus testing: Identifying the outbreak's full scope

And a piece in Vox (in plain English, mostly) that explains serology testing and why it's an important tool in effectively dealing with the current pandemic.

How Covid-19 immunity testing can help people get back to work

In patients who have recovered from Covid-19 or may have carried the virus without realizing it, a serological test can show who carries antibodies, even if the virus is no longer present. Antibodies are proteins that help the immune system identify and eliminate threats. Once they’re made, they help the body neutralize future infections from the same threat.

Establishing who is immune is important for figuring out who can safely return to work. For example, health workers are facing staffing shortages as Covid-19 spreads through their ranks, and serological tests may soon become necessary to keep hospitals and clinics running.

“That’s a great screening tool to figure out what proportion of our patient population had it or what proportion of our hospital staff has been exposed to it,” said David Pride, associate director of microbiology at the University of California San Diego.

These tests are also a forensic tool, tracing the spread of the virus through a population. This can solve some of the unknowns of the Covid-19 outbreak and help scientists get ahead of the next pandemic. Countries like China and Singapore have already used serological tests for contact tracing to see how the virus has spread.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Sure you can. On an island. Or any other area with a small amount of land mass. Because those two factors exponentially decrease the risk.

...and stuff.

Yeah but...

DjtuKK0W4AAAwJv.jpg

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Let’s just blame Obama because he left the shelves bare........ thanks Obama! It’s only been three+ years.... no accountability.
But it's Obama's market that he left that has been pushing the economy for the last three+ years, right?

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Air Canada, our largest airline up here, is cutting 90% of its flights for the month of April.

Also, western Canada is getting crushed with its oil...selling as low as $3.82 a barrel today. Last year it was at $54.19.

I work for an Air Canada Express carrier. I'm in day 3 of 4 of a shift but have been sitting at home the whole time because every one of my flights have been canceled.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Is it easier to contain something in a small area, or an area 103x larger?

C’mon, man. If you think it’s the same, you aren’t using common sense.

If this isn't check and mate I don't know what is!

But...

Weird that Canada which is bigger has handled it better the US. Or is population density important in that case?

At the rate your going Trump is going to be calling you up to do press conference beside that evangelist.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I just love using thanks Obama. I don’t know why but the dumb gifs of people falling or shit always crack me up. I still can’t figure out how to post gifs here lol
Lol fair enough.

I'm not sure how to post gifs, I usually just post from my pgone, but surprisingly HF made it simple to upload pictures from your gallery and super easy to embed tweets. If only they could get the reply function to work

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Air Canada, our largest airline up here, is cutting 90% of its flights for the month of April.

I really hope they make it out of this ok. Despite me usually only using them for 2 round trips per year, I've had nothing but unbelievably good interactions with Air Canada. Even during this pandemic, they helped me re-book 3 flights across the continent with no notice and no fees. I badly wish I could use them in the US.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If this isn't check and mate I don't know what is!

But...

Weird that Canada which is bigger has handled it better the US. Or is population density important in that case?

At the rate your going Trump is going to be calling you up to do press conference beside that evangelist.
I am happy that Canada only has 2 days so far with more than 10 deaths.

Only 3 deaths per million so far.

Quebec is the only province getting really hammered.....over 50% of the cases in Canada are in Quebec. Ontario has less than half the cases Quebec does which is surprising. I expected Toronto and Vancouver to be the 2 cities that would be hit the worst but so far, so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad