All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion - "I'm Not Sure What To Do With My Hands?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
what happened to stores only selling 1 item of a kind to each customer

good luck with that..grocery stores are all about making cash not what the people that give them cash do with all the shit they buy or regulate said shit

and while you can freeze milk..if you have a cold/flu and i assume this corona thing..i would think milk is not good for you to drink...and even if they dont get it..that is gonna take a hell of a lot of freezer space..not sure our outside freezer would even hold all that let alone essential stuff..like ..ya know..food

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's fair, but the flu shot is only a certain strain of flu. There's still other ones out there floating around. How many people do you know who have had the flu?

Basically, the point is no one cares about the flu. No one really takes precautions, I mean people legit go to work with it. There's no mad rush to quarantine it. I've had it once in my life, never had a flu shot. I know 2 people that had it this year. That's it, and it was at basically the epidemic level this year.

So, just relax. You'll be fine bud.

Unsure why you're comparing this disease to one that is less contagious and less dangerous

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
The "nice" thing about Ebola is that it's self-limiting. It kills so quickly that there's a pretty small window where it's going to effectively spread.
it's spread through fluid like vomit and blood.

Apparently (documentary I watched) a common funeral tradition in Africa is to kiss your dead relative on the forehead. = more ebola.

Again, if it EVER figures out respiratory droplets are the bees knees, I'll need my years supply of toilet paper for sure.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Unsure why you're comparing this disease to one that is less contagious and less dangerous
nothing I have seen is this is "particularly" worse.

It's year 0 with this strain. As MORE people survive, build up immunities, the numbers will likely decrease.

For me, it's what kills you that I look at. Kidney failure, respiratory issues. More treatable, than some other things, with good health systems, I think we can save a lot of people with these quarantine efforts not putting strain on health systems that cannot handle it en masse.

Also, I do not trust China to put out anything reliable in terms of statistics.

<Tinfoil hat time> China benefits from Western uncertainty. Fear mongering is good for them in this case.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
still, probably not. From what I read, it won't be spread from recirculated air. You don't interact with too many people likely flying the plane (sealed cockpit).

The people who clean the plane/flight attendants are a notch higher than you I'd speculate.

So the basis of your claim is you think you have a better handle of the nature of my job then I do. Good to know.

You are right. FAs likely are at higher risk. But considering the close quarters I work with them over a 4 day period that still seems less then ideal. Also the fact that I sit in a machine that usually 4 other crews sit in per day and I touch all the same switches and buttons they do. Plus we normally fly more then one machine a day.

I'm pretty sure my job is still pretty high up the risk list. Great take on your part.

Not to mention the 3-5 hours I spend in an airport, where I usually eat multiple meals.

And then spend my nights sleeping in a different hotel room every night.

Also they are discussing shutting down domestic air travel. Almost like airports are giant petri dishes.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

It's year 0 with this strain. As MORE people survive, build up immunities, the numbers will likely decrease.

For me, it's what kills you that I look at. Kidney failure, respiratory issues. More treatable, than some other things, with good health systems, I think we can save a lot of people with these quarantine efforts not putting strain on health systems that cannot handle it en masse.

<Tinfoil hat time> China benefits from Western uncertainty. Fear mongering is good for them in this case.

We have numbers from countries that aren't China too, you know. And those numbers also show it is deadlier and more contagious than the flu.

People have had a nasty habit of minimizing the threat by trying to compare COVID-19 to things that are significantly less dangerous, like the flu and car crashes. That's what I was pointing out.

Of course it will get less deadly over time. Doesn't help much in the present.

Yukon Cornelius

Oct 10, 2019
SC PA
I live in south-central PA and work for the state (DEP). Just woke up and saw a text on my phone - shut down for two weeks.

On Friday we had gotten a flurry of contingency plans and working from home messages, so I grabbed a few case files and my tablet on the way out. I guess I'm working from home for the immediate future.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
So the basis of your claim is you think you have a better handle of the nature of my job then I do. Good to know.

You are right. FAs likely are at higher risk. But considering the close quarters I work with them over a 4 day period that still seems less then ideal. Also the fact that I sit in a machine that usually 4 other crews sit in per day and I touch all the same switches and buttons they do. Plus we normally fly more then one machine a day.

I'm pretty sure my job is still pretty high up the risk list. Great take on your part.

Not to mention the 3-5 hours I spend in an airport, where I usually eat multiple meals.

And then spend my nights sleeping in a different hotel room every night.

Also they are discussing shutting down domestic air travel. Almost like airports are giant petri dishes.
every top official ive seen is saying that doing things like appropriately washing hands has a significant impact on preventing this from spreading. Sounds like you are doing that. Hopefully the limited set of coworkers you work with is doing the same. Hopefully those who are sick in your profession are taking the time off.

Hopefully you don't have to touch your hands nose and face during your flights. Then your odds of course increase.

Airports (and cruise ships) are giant petri dishes...especially when people do not take things seriously, have bad habits, ect ect. Hopefully everyone is rising up and doing what's needed.

Bad stuff happens every day to all kinds of people with absolutely no reason or justice. You might get it, you might not. All I am saying is your chances are better than <some> to probably not get it.

And I'm just some guy speculating on a messgeboard. I don't claim to be anything else.

Last edited:

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
We have numbers from countries that aren't China too, you know. And those numbers also show it is deadlier and more contagious than the flu.

People have had a nasty habit of minimizing the threat by trying to compare COVID-19 to things that are significantly less dangerous, like the flu and car crashes. That's what I was pointing out.

Of course it will get less deadly over time. Doesn't help much in the present.
I really don't think it's fair to make any statements with certainty either way in the present about mortality rates. We will know quite a bit more in a years time.

Hopefully the measures enacted make a significant reduction in contraction rates and we can all look back happy.

Yukon Cornelius

Oct 10, 2019
SC PA
The employer who will be paid back in tax credits.

Aka they’re set up to fail.

Speaking as a small business owner myself. Something additional will need to come down the pipeline to help small business.
I hope it all works for you, HC. I put myself through college via the GI Bill, but chose to work for the state gov't. Less pay up front, but the security is what swayed me.

I hope this thing doesn't affect small business too severely, yourself included. Who the hell ever foresaw something like this happening?

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
This virus has brought out the best and worst in people. It would be interesting to see the demographics on that division, although I am sure we all have our speculations.

Reactions: Rebels57

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
But this isn't just the flu. And even if only a percentage of people get a flu shot, and only a percentage of those flu shots work, it still make a difference. One case can spread so easily, especially when nobody has a vaccine and health care is overloaded the way it currently is.

Regardless, I've always been an extremely careful and clean person, even before this. Even when it was just the standard flu. I'm not just suddenly concerned, this is just the first time I've voiced it on here. I have health issues that require extra care and family/friends who do too, so I've always been cognizant about things like this. The current situation is just a bigger version of the same old problem.

Preexisting conditions do complicate things, so I feel for you. All I'm trying to say is keep taking care of yourself and as long as your job doesn't force you to be at risk you should be fine. Don't let other people, or the media, or the hysteria stress you out.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Is it wrong to contact the leasing agency to request for leniency on rent?

Restaurant industy is f***ed. I'm f***ed.

Reactions: achdumeingute

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
good luck with that..grocery stores are all about making cash not what the people that give them cash do with all the shit they buy or regulate said shit

and while you can freeze milk..if you have a cold/flu and i assume this corona thing..i would think milk is not good for you to drink...and even if they dont get it..that is gonna take a hell of a lot of freezer space..not sure our outside freezer would even hold all that let alone essential stuff..like ..ya know..food

I bought 2 gallons of milk, mainly for my toddler. I poured it in freezer bags and laid it flat in the freezer. It’s a good space saver.

An FYI, milk expands a quite a bit when frozen.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

There has been no evidence, unless if I am mistaken, in people recovering from the corona virus and having any immunities built up. People are or have caught this at least a second time so far.
It’s not like the chicken pox where once you get it, you’re good and it’s not like the flu where once you get it, you’re pretty much good.
It’s more like once you get it, you should have learned you’re lesson and stop f***ing around.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Maybe milk lady bought alot of that milk to help distribute it to other people.

Could be an utterly selfless move but some of you are drawing it up as it is nothing more than greed and paranoia.

I understand it's fun to joke, it is good to joke about things and spread humoe during trying times, but I don't think everyone here understands that.

It is very possible she is one of the paranoid hysterical hoarders that's helping stir the pot for others, but, did you ask her why she needs all that milk?

Stay positive. Optimism is nice to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad