All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion - "I'm Not Sure What To Do With My Hands?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's fair, but the flu shot is only a certain strain of flu. There's still other ones out there floating around. How many people do you know who have had the flu?

Basically, the point is no one cares about the flu. No one really takes precautions, I mean people legit go to work with it. There's no mad rush to quarantine it. I've had it once in my life, never had a flu shot. I know 2 people that had it this year. That's it, and it was at basically the epidemic level this year.

So, just relax. You'll be fine bud.
But this isn't just the flu. And even if only a percentage of people get a flu shot, and only a percentage of those flu shots work, it still make a difference. One case can spread so easily, especially when nobody has a vaccine and health care is overloaded the way it currently is.

Regardless, I've always been an extremely careful and clean person, even before this. Even when it was just the standard flu. I'm not just suddenly concerned, this is just the first time I've voiced it on here. I have health issues that require extra care and family/friends who do too, so I've always been cognizant about things like this. The current situation is just a bigger version of the same old problem.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If the flu had a death rate of 1%, we'd care.

One of these days a flu virus will mutate into something much more lethal, and you'll see the same scenario you're seeing right now, but there's a good possibility that the mutated flu will kill people in their prime years, much like the Spanish flu.

The problem with 7 billion people (2+ billion chronically undernourished) and globalization is you basically have petri dishes with legs harboring every mutated strain that allow a new virus to travel around the world in a matter of days.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The hoarding is frustrating. I dislike that people are contributing to the panic by doing that.

Personally, I think as a society it’s that panic I’d be more concerned of overall, and that’s not to downplay the obvious concern of getting ill.

I’m not one for trying to tell others what to do, but if any of you are in a “non vital” area of work I’d strongly urge you to speak to your managers about why your work may still be open.

This approach only works if it’s done during the 9-5 part of the day too, not just by closing schools or libraries. Business isn’t everything. It’s irresponsible to be sending people to work and putting them in large numbers/proximity, unless it’s vital.

For the government to take the gamble and not do so is foolish imo. The peak of this thing has possibly not been seen yet (especially in NA), and even the possibility should be taken seriously. Nobody wants to be in a situation that Italy is in, and that’s the focal point.

If this seems like a different vibe than my “it’s not a big deal” approach not long ago - it’s because it is. One has to be open to accepting new information, and letting pride go.

Last edited:

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
ETHHyfhWkAEPb2R

Might as well just take some money out of your wallet/purse & set it on fire right there. :laugh:
in the past, a restaurant owner would be the one doing this. Feasible, in certain scenarios to use that milk.

Now we all just goin hoarder.

Reactions: Cody Webster

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal

One of these days a flu virus will mutate into something much more lethal, and you'll see the same scenario you're seeing right now, but there's a good possibility that the mutated flu will kill people in their prime years, much like the Spanish flu.

The problem with 7 billion people (2+ billion chronically undernourished) and globalization is you basically have petri dishes with legs harboring every mutated strain that allow a new virus to travel around the world in a matter of days.
I don't disagree about the spread potential you speak of.

"Care" is an interesting choice. Wash your hands, good hygiene, ect.

Clear out entire cities of toilet paper and hand sanitizer is not caring/taking this seriously, it's absurdity.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I don't disagree about the spread potential you speak of.

"Care" is an interesting choice. Wash your hands, good hygiene, ect.

Clear out entire cities of toilet paper and hand sanitizer is not caring/taking this seriously, it's absurdity.

It’s the social distancing that’s the key to slowing this down. It’s a contagious b****.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
This approach only works if it’s done during the 9-5 part of the day too, not just by closing schools or libraries. Business isn’t everything. It’s irresponsible to be sending people to work and putting them in large numbers/proximity, unless it’s vital.
I really don't think america is set up for that.

Most people don't have savings, are underwater, or just struggling.

Not going to work, having customers, earning income is going to end up blowing things all up if this happens for any length of time.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

They already have that in H1N1 (swine flu), and the avian flu (bird flu). Luckily neither of those spread easily. But apparently H1N1 was pretty similar to the Spanish Flu that wiped out millions of people 100 years ago. The documentary Pandemic on Netflix is pretty good. About finding a universal vaccination for all the flus, cause there is a day coming when there will be another flu pandemic. Much worse than this Coronavirus.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I really don't think america is set up for that.

Most people don't have savings, are underwater, or just struggling.

Not going to work, having customers, earning income is going to end up blowing things all up if this happens for any length of time.

Personally, I think it must be done. I understand your argument but if it’s possible to do so for even a shorter length of time - and anyone with any sort of symptoms can self identity/isolate. It’s a positive move.

Reactions: Yukon Cornelius

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I’m not one for trying to tell others what to do, but if any of you are in a “non vital” area of work I’d strongly urge you to speak to your managers about why your work may still be open.

That's the conversation I plan to have tomorrow. I'm part of senior management and as we were walking out at end of day Friday my boss said to me "Unless we're ordered to stay home, I can't see why we'd close the office."

I figured it was easier to let things unfold through the weekend and then gauge where he is at than try to hash it out then, but we're non-essential. Senior management can telecommute and 75% of the staff can work off-site.

Reactions: Kermit the Prog

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Personally, I think it must be done. I understand your argument but if it’s possible to do so for even a shorter length of time - and anyone with any sort of symptoms can self identity/isolate. It’s a positive move.
hypothetically, I have a very mild case of covid. I have a family. I barely pay my rent now. I cannot afford to miss two weeks of work, or I can't pay rent, and risk eviction.

The choice, sadly, I think for most people is going to be pretty obvious.

This country is not prepared.

Reactions: Curufinwe

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
At this point I’m convinced I’m going to get it. People are just too stupid and careless, so no matter how careful I am, someone around me will do something dumb. I’m sure of it.

I wish I could just stay home and completely avoid other people for a couple of months but unfortunately that’s not possible.

Being at the mercy of other people’s competence is horrific.

I'm an airline pilot that has worked the last 3 days. Literally haven't left my hotel rooms except for work. I've continuously washed my hands and rubbed everything down with alcohol wipes. I'm still so f***ed.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
hypothetically, I have a very mild case of covid. I have a family. I barely pay my rent now. I cannot afford to miss two weeks of work, or I can't pay rent, and risk eviction.

The choice, sadly, I think for most people is going to be pretty obvious.

This country is not prepared.

After the Senate passes the bill tomorrow you’ll be able to take two paid weeks off.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
That's fair, but the flu shot is only a certain strain of flu. There's still other ones out there floating around. How many people do you know who have had the flu?

Basically, the point is no one cares about the flu. No one really takes precautions, I mean people legit go to work with it. There's no mad rush to quarantine it. I've had it once in my life, never had a flu shot. I know 2 people that had it this year. That's it, and it was at basically the epidemic level this year.

So, just relax. You'll be fine bud.

What's the max upside if your attitude is correct?

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
After the Senate passes the bill tomorrow you’ll be able to take two paid weeks off.
who pays the bill for that?

My wife and I went out to dinner tonight to a relative ghost town, in a normally busy eatery, major business.

I think quite a few small businesses that don't get the kind of traffic a major restaurant gets cannot afford the sizable lack of customers, and then have to pay workers on top of that.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
They already have that in H1N1 (swine flu), and the avian flu (bird flu). Luckily neither of those spread easily. But apparently H1N1 was pretty similar to the Spanish Flu that wiped out millions of people 100 years ago. The documentary Pandemic on Netflix is pretty good. About finding a universal vaccination for all the flus, cause there is a day coming when there will be another flu pandemic. Much worse than this Coronavirus.
much worse. Or if ebola ever adapts from just fluids for transmission. We are not set up with facilities to deal with that on a mass scale.

Last edited:

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I don't mean I'm going to die but outside of being frontline medical staff I'm in likely about as high risk of a position as you are going to find when it comes to getting sick.
still, probably not. From what I read, it won't be spread from recirculated air. You don't interact with too many people likely flying the plane (sealed cockpit).

The people who clean the plane/flight attendants are a notch higher than you I'd speculate.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
who pays the bill for that?

My wife and I went out to dinner tonight to a relative ghost town, in a normally busy eatery, major business.

I think quite a few small businesses that don't get the kind of traffic a major restaurant gets cannot afford the sizable lack of customers, and then have to pay workers on top of that.

The employer who will be paid back in tax credits.

Aka they’re set up to fail.

Speaking as a small business owner myself. Something additional will need to come down the pipeline to help small business.

Reactions: Yukon Cornelius

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
@Flyerfan4life I don't know how successful of a musician you think i am... but i can't afford a 1700 dollar stock haha

What i WANT to do, is buy a shit ton of William Hill stock, which usually trades around 10 or so. It's at 4 now, and will likely fall even more.

If i can get a couple hundred dollars in that, the day sports are announced again, i imagine their stock is going to go through the roof for a few days, and i'll trade in for something bigger then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad