All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I guess that would just be an admission of Ovechkin not being the dude to build around for the next decade and trying to get rid of the contract. As that's a pretty sorry roster without him, even with Strombone1.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I'm sure the Canucks are salvating at the chance to get Backstrom. They have a nice Swedish connection going there...

Luongo + ? (a good player)
For
Backstrom & one of their goalies

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Of we can swap Kennedy for Dupuis on the 3rd line and trade TK in a deal involving us getting a nice winger for Sid, Id be ecstatic. Dupuis would be solid playing with Sutter and Cooke.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Of we can swap Kennedy for Dupuis on the 3rd line and trade TK in a deal involving us getting a nice winger for Sid, Id be ecstatic. Dupuis would be solid playing with Sutter and Cooke.

That still would leave a hole at L2 LW, but it's definitely a start.

BTW, that's not a knock on Boychuk per say. He's playing his *** off.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
Z. Phillips and Setoguchi
For
Maatta and a pick (2nd or 3rd)

*** Minny was very high on Maatta and apparently in an interview before the Draft, Olli said that he was hoping to be picked by Minny. I'm quoting somebody from the Minny board. He'd also be invited with his ood friend Granlund.

*** Phillips would be perfect in our org. He fills a few needs easily.

Who is Phillips and what does he do?

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
Z. Phillips and Setoguchi
For
Maatta and a pick (2nd or 3rd)

*** Minny was very high on Maatta and apparently in an interview before the Draft, Olli said that he was hoping to be picked by Minny. I'm quoting somebody from the Minny board. He'd also be invited with his ood friend Granlund.

*** Phillips would be perfect in our org. He fills a few needs easily.

I would be very happy with this trade.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
Boychuk, if he keeps this up will be a fixture on malkins wing. He looks better than neal did his first year.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
Who is Phillips and what does he do?

Phillips is one of Minnesota's wing prospects. He played with Despres in St. John when they won the Memorial Cup. I thought he was kind of overshadowed by some of his teammates going into the draft, but when I got a chance to watch the Sea Dogs play he really stood out as an offensive force. Others who have watched him more closely can probably give you more detail but from what I've witnessed his vision, passing, and offensive instincts are his best attributes. I'd be really happy to have him in our system.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Phillips is one of Minnesota's wing prospects. He played with Despres in St. John when they won the Memorial Cup. I thought he was kind of overshadowed by some of his teammates going into the draft, but when I got a chance to watch the Sea Dogs play he really stood out as an offensive force. Others who have watched him more closely can probably give you more detail but from what I've witnessed his vision, passing, and offensive instincts are his best attributes. I'd be really happy to have him in our system.

Seto, Clutterbuck, Phillips for ?

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA

Honestly I have no idea what it would take to get those guys. SportsMasterFlex mentioned Maatta + a pick, and I think that would be a good starting point. Maatta for Phillips seems like an even swap for two unproven prospects, and I don't know what Minny expects to get in return if they trade Seto/Clutterbuck. I imagine we'd have to add something, possibly a roster player.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'd be interested in Seto but the more I watch of Despres (even with the occasional mistake) the less comfortable I am trading him in a deal unless it's part of a package for an elite player.

A solid but unspectacular player like Niskanen seems like fair value for Seto but I'm still not sure Niskanen is expendable for us.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm fine trading Nisky, as good as he is with us we still need that Crosby winger. I think it would be Seto+ for Nisky, as Seto does not have much trade value with him regressing as bad as he is. Nisky+Maatta+2nd for Seto, Clutterbuck, Phillips or something.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Maata, Despres, 2nd, TK. If we're lucky. Or Maatta, Nisky, TK, 2nd.

Clutterbuck is a nice piece, but I think it would be a lot easier to make a deal without him in it.

Seto, Phillips for Nisky & Maatta & maybe a 3rd/4th (only because Phillips is closer to being NHL ready than Maatta).

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
I'd be interested in Seto but the more I watch of Despres (even with the occasional mistake) the less comfortable I am trading him in a deal unless it's part of a package for an elite player.

A solid but unspectacular player like Niskanen seems like fair value for Seto but I'm still not sure Niskanen is expendable for us.

Yeah, I never liked the idea of trading Despres (or Morrow for that matter). Those two should be with the organization a long time. The rest can be trade bait in my opinion. I'd trade Niskanen or Engelland without a second thought, assuming we are getting a good winger in return. I like them both a lot, but like you said they are unspectacular. Our young guys have much more potential (which I truly believe they will reach) and that gives us the luxury of moving one of those guys in order to fill a bigger need.

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Maata, Despres, 2nd, TK. If we're lucky. Or Maatta, Nisky, TK, 2nd.

Clutterbuck is a nice piece, but I think it would be a lot easier to make a deal without him in it.

Seto, Phillips for Nisky & Maatta & maybe a 3rd/4th (only because Phillips is closer to being NHL ready than Maatta).

Don't get how Seto is worth Nisky. Nisky has looked SOLID on the first pairing with us, Seto has been having a bad season, aswell as regressing since his 1 good year with SJ, that was how long ago? Maybe i'm just not as high on Seto as some. I'd love if he came here and was turned into that "guy" again, but who knows tbh. Clutterbuck should be a must get with Seto. I think Pens should keep Despres and see what he becomes, don't feel comfortable trading him unless it's part of a much better player then Seto.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I don't get why we are trading what could be a first pairing D-man for the next ten years for a second line winger that has been slumping for some time now. If we trade for Seto I would only be willing to do it for some who is further away from the NHL than Despres.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don't get why we are trading what could be a first pairing D-man for the next ten years for a second line winger that has been slumping for some time now. If we trade for Seto I would only be willing to do it for some who is further away from the NHL than Despres.

If Pens trade Despres it better be in a package for a star winger for Crosby. Like Ryan for example, although they wont be dealing Ryan anytime soon with Perry and Getzlaf upcoming UFA's. Like Sutter+Despres+1st for Ryan or something.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I don't know how ur gonna work a deal for a decent winger without Despres. At be a bad team will want morrow but that's it. These teams we're talking about want to win now not later. Plus I thought being able to give one if these guys up was kinda the point of hoarding them.

Corban

Sep 25, 2006
Pittsburgh, Pa

I completely agree with you. These past few games I think have given us a glimpse as to what Despres could be, and that is something we do need now and into the future. I'm not really for trading him, unless it is really for something special.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Niskanen+Maatta/Harrington would bring us a longterm solution for Sid.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
I only trade despres for a young skilled winger with lots of contract control that has proven he can put up some points in the NHL. I'm curious hire people see despres compared to where Gogo was at the time he was traded. I think that if anyone it's traded it will be martin, nisky, kennedy or despres. Out of those despres has the most value to me. Martin is close if we eat some salary.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Setoguchi + Clutterbuck

for

TK + Maatta + 2nd

Out of the 2 players, i like Clutterbuck the most! the guy's a beast hitting machine who can pot us 15 goals a year. Wild fans tell us to NEVER put Clutterbuck on the top 6, but imagine Cooke-Sutter-Clutterbuck for our 3rd line? Hell i'd be tempted to try Vitale with Clutterbuck and Cooke every now and then just to see them wear teams down physically.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce