In Contention​
|
$2,550,000​
|
2012-13​
|
Crosby's Playmaker​
|Little Hope, Pending RFA

lets keep all winger acquisition talk here.

Last edited:

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'd give anything to have one of those top 2.

Other than those 2 I'd love to have Iginla. Him and Sid, Geno and Neal would be simply unreal.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
He's never talked about but I think Getzlaf would look great as Crosbys winger. Pending UFA but I think the Ducks keep him.

I'm a big Clowe fan and his #1 on my list. I think the Pens top 6 needs his size and brand of mean.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Hemsky. He would be just what the PP needs. Tons of skill and a righty shot. I also think he's gettable. His injuries worry me though.

Morrow is another guy that worries me because he always seems to miss time and is slightly older than I would like to see. If the Pens could somehow get Ritche worked into a deal I would pass out. Gotta say the East really needs to see a line of Clowe-Crosby-Morrow..

Alesle

Jan 5, 2008
Oslo, Norway
He's never talked about but I think Getzlaf would look great as Crosbys winger. Pending UFA but I think the Ducks keep him.

I'm a big Clowe fan and his #1 on my list. I think the Pens top 6 needs his size and brand of mean.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Hemsky. He would be just what the PP needs. Tons of skill and a righty shot. I also think he's gettable. His injuries worry me though.

Morrow is another guy that worries me because he always seems to miss time and is slightly older than I would like to see. If the Pens could somehow get Ritche worked into a deal I would pass out. Gotta say the East really needs to see a line of Clowe-Crosby-Morrow..

Based on how Morrow looked last season and so far this season, I've very little interest in him.

From the list in the OP (good list Lost in Crafton!), I would look into acquiring Clowe, Ryder, PM Bouchard, Setoguchi, Hörnqvist or Malone (if Tampa retains some of his salary) if their respective teams are well out of contention at the deadline. I've a feeling the rest of the players would come at too high of a cost, either in the form of assets or salary. I'm pretty sure Minnesota makes the playoffs though, which would limit "my" list quite considerably.

regard

Nov 9, 2009
Staal Debates
Why is Chris Stewart listed as "No Hope"?
Blues have great winger depth and a bunch of righties and he wasnt exactly blowing them away before.

I really wish we could have taken advantage or when Brown was "on the block" or Stewart was struggling or when Oshie, Wilson were "in the doghouse". But of course those GMs arent stupid. Im not sure Brown was really on the block and theres no saying hed have been cheap.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Magnus Pääjärvi might need a change of scenery. He's a former #10 overall pick, so Edmonton might not wish to part with the investment they made in 2009. He was scratched against Vancouver, whatever that means.

Alesle

Jan 5, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Why is Chris Stewart listed as "No Hope"?
Blues have great winger depth and a bunch of righties and he wasnt exactly blowing them away before.

What could we possibly offer, that we would be willing to part with, that would make the Blues listen? They have no need for picks or prospects, and are probably only interested in youngish proven top 9 forwards (that are at the very least as good as Stewart) or top 4 defenders. At this point in time, we don't make very good trading partners.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010

The reason nobody talks about Getzlaf is because he is a Center.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Besides the big names, Ryan Clowe would be my target but not sure the Sharks would move him

Also as much as I wanted Parise, if the Ducks can't work out an extension with Perry Shero better be ready this summer to offer him a huge deal

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
I believe we have the cap space but why not try and get Viktor Stålberg
or Magnus Pääjärvi.. If not both... Paajarvi would develop great being on Malkin's wing and big Stalberg on Crosby's wing with Kunitz

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Michael Ryder stands out to me. Could get him for Kunitz like money and ive always like his shot. Think he could be a 35 goal winger consistently with Crosby.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Michael Ryder stands out to me. Could get him for Kunitz like money and ive always like his shot. Think he could be a 35 goal winger consistently with Crosby.

But I think the Stars are in win now mode especially with the signings of Whitney and Jagr. If they're totally out of it by deadline, maybe they will want to move him but if it's close I think they keep him

Heck I'd even take Jagr back

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Due to cap uncertainty, I don't think it would be prudent to go for anybody who is owed or will be owed big money beyond next year. As much as we could use another skilled winger, it would be a luxury at this point, not a desperate need.

In view of that, if I were Shero I'd look to go one of two directions. Either a pure rental (Iginla or more likely a lesser cost rental) or an under the radar younger guy at a reasonable cost.

regard

Nov 9, 2009
Staal Debates
What could we possibly offer, that we would be willing to part with, that would make the Blues listen? They have no need for picks or prospects, and are probably only interested in youngish proven top 9 forwards (that are at the very least as good as Stewart) or top 4 defenders. At this point in time, we don't make very good trading partners.

What could we possibly offer??

They dont need more forwards. Why would they trade Stewart and expect a better winger in his place?

Theyve been looking for left handed defenders, someone to play with Pietrangelo. That could cater towards us just fine. Depending on his value we would have the assets to make it happen, itd just be a matter of whether Shero saw it as worth it.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The reason nobody talks about Getzlaf is because he is a Center.
That doesn't mean he has to stay there. Look at how Lemieux played center. He was pretty much a LWer way before the Lemieux-Francis-Jagr line was put together.

Another name worth mentioning is Havlat?

Also I know Morrow is at a low point but maybe that just makes him tradable. Low ball Dallas.

Alesle

Jan 5, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Magnus Pääjärvi might need a change of scenery. He's a former #10 overall pick, so Edmonton might not wish to part with the investment they made in 2009. He was scratched against Vancouver, whatever that means.

What can we offer Edmonton for Pääjärvi? Like us they have a plethora of promising defensemen, and I don't think they'd have any interest in draft picks, as that would just set their rebuild back further. They are looking to win in the near future, and the only things I could see them being interested in is a good two-way physical center with size for their 2nd line or a (potential) #1 defensemen. I would expect them to try and package Pääjärvi and Gagner for an upgrade in one of those positions.

All that aside, I'm not even convinced Pääjärvi would be a better option for our top 6 this season than Bennett.

regard

Nov 9, 2009
Staal Debates
What can we offer Edmonton for Pääjärvi? Like us they have a plethora of promising defensemen, and I don't think they'd have any interest in draft picks, as that would just set their rebuild back further. They are looking to win in the near future, and the only things I could see them being interested in is a good two-way physical center with size for their 2nd line or a (potential) #1 defensemen. I would expect them to try and package Pääjärvi and Gagner for an upgrade in one of those positions.

All that aside, I'm not even convinced Pääjärvi would be a better option for our top 6 this season than Bennett.

Why are you so convinced we dont have the assets to get anyone?

You say Paajarvi might not be an upgrade for us but insist they'll want a 2nd line center or #1 dman for him?

IDK about thier stable of promising Dmen, adding Shultz helped.

Alesle

Jan 5, 2008
Oslo, Norway
What could we possibly offer??

They dont need more forwards. Why would they trade Stewart and expect a better winger in his place?

Theyve been looking for left handed defenders, someone to play with Pietrangelo. That could cater towards us just fine. Depending on his value we would have the assets to make it happen, itd just be a matter of whether Shero saw it as worth it.

I'll clarify. My point was that they are looking to win now, and we would probably have to offer an equal or better player for them to be interested. Unless we have other players that can step right and replace the player we traded away, we would just fix one problem and create another. When one of our defensive prospects are ready for top 4 duties I agree that Stewart would be a very attractive and possible addition, but I don't envision that happening during this season (hence the "at this point in time" comment). I would love to be wrong on that part though :).

Why are you so convinced we dont have the assets to get anyone?
I don't think we have a lot of expendable assets that are attractive to other contending teams. We have plenty of expendable pieces attractive to teams looking to rebuild.

You say Paajarvi might not be an upgrade for us but insist they'll want a 2nd line center or #1 dman for him?
I'm saying he's one of their better trade baits to include in a trade for possible upgrades in positions of need.

IDK about thier stable of promising Dmen, adding Shultz helped.
At the very least, in addition to Schultz, Klefbom and Musil looks very promising, while Petry has looked good so far in the NHL. I don't see young defensemen as a need for them, unless it's a potential #1.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Whatever happens, I would not be in favor of trading young prospects for older, pending UFA players. I would much prefer someone who is still on their ELC or pending RFA (similar to Neal, I guess). The idea of trading someone like Morrow+ to rent Iginla for a few weeks (potentially) is not good. Iginla is past his prime and will still be expensive to re-sign. Add to that, we would be resuming the search for winger in a season or two. Let's think of a long (er)-term solution. Someone who can potentially play here for the next decade.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Can someone explain to me why everybody is so crazy about getting a winger? Im sure everybody would agree if our big guys stay healthy were gonna be top 5 in offense(prob 1st). If the pens had a great winger last year somebody like rick nash does anybody think that would of changed the result of the flyers series? Pens tryed to outscore everybody in the playoffs last year that style dont work in the playoffs just ask bruce boudreau and the caps. Pens upgrading there top 4 def should be there priority.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The D looks fine currently.

There's no need to go cheap on Sid's wing anymore with Staal's big salary gone. Many of us have waited patiently to see how good this team can be when both Sid and Gino have legit wingers. It's time for that to happen.

A winger can also add defense through offense by helping Crosby attack and consequently pinning other teams in their own end.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Maybe we're thinking to big. I wouldn't mind going after Tatar, Brett Ritchie or Austin Watson.

Another vet to add to the list would be Vermette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->