All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
What about dead lining Peter muller. He is a super cheap contract. UFA if he is a bust, and probably could be had for a pick and a roster player like Jeffrey. Not an ideal choice but a possible depth scoring winger that can also play center that wouldn't cost a real asset.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
What about dead lining Peter muller. He is a super cheap contract. UFA if he is a bust, and probably could be had for a pick and a roster player like Jeffrey. Not an ideal choice but a possible depth scoring winger that can also play center that wouldn't cost a real asset.

Wouldn't be my first choice.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Why is everybody so willing to get stewart. From what i heard he is basically st.louis's tk.. Dont know much abouut him but that what i heard, perhaphs i heard wrong?

Why not? scored 28 goals 1 year, is still young, can throw his weight around sometimes (232 pounds, 6 foot 2). He does come with attitude problems and is lazy, but he's another guy who's got some potential in him. He's another player who wont break the bank, and can potentially be a good player for Crosby. You don't need the Perry's and the Iginla's for our players, you can get lesser players who can do just fine with our super super stars.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Setoguchi is average defensively, but he doesn't have to be Marian Hossa. We need him to back defensemen up and score goals. He forechecks well, as he's a great skater.

Hey, he's good! Can we get HIM?

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Why not? scored 28 goals 1 year, is still young, can throw his weight around sometimes (232 pounds, 6 foot 2). He does come with attitude problems and is lazy, but he's another guy who's got some potential in him. He's another player who wont break the bank, and can potentially be a good player for Crosby. You don't need the Perry's and the Iginla's for our players, you can get lesser players who can do just fine with our super super stars.

I think we'd all love Stewart, his game is perfect for the team. But St. Louis wouldn't trade him, cause of the amazing chemistry that they have, but you never know.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think we'd all love Stewart, his game is perfect for the team. But St. Louis wouldn't trade him, cause of the amazing chemistry that they have, but you never know.

Their chemistry has little to do with him. He's by no means an integral player on that team, nor is he a leader. Currently, Stewart is 9th amongst forwards in ice time. It's not like they are trading Perron or Oshie.

I personally think STL would rather have the roster flexibility and cap space.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

You never know what may happen later on, it's a short season with lots of games clunked together. Maybe later they will be begging for D? they would love Niskanen next to their top D on the 1st pairing. Although we may need him more then right now later on too. Could also be an off season trade.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Their chemistry has little to do with him. He's by no means an integral player on that team, nor is he a leader. Currently, Stewart is 9th amongst forwards in ice time. It's not like they are trading Perron or Oshie.

I personally think STL would rather have the roster flexibility and cap space.

It's just what I've heard through the media and the blogs. Stewart hasn't been given the chance behind those two, but think about what happens if they go down before we make a move for him...we ain't getting him at all than...if we want a winger, Shero's gonna have to make a move within the next 2-3 weeks.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
You never know what may happen later on, it's a short season with lots of games clunked together. Maybe later they will be begging for D? they would love Niskanen next to their top D on the 1st pairing. Although we may need him more then right now later on too. Could also be an off season trade.

I'd be fine letting Nisky go, as stated in the board, Bortuzzo and Depres bring what Niskanen brings to the table, so we'd be fine. Unless Shero pulls of another Gogo trade and somehow brings a defenseman with Stewart.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Any guy you trade for is going to have warts. You want the guys with warts as they cost less. If you get a complete player, he's going to cost the farm.

Setoguchi is everything we need in a top 6'er. He doesn't avoid playing defense. He's been lax in playing defense. I've seen the guy at the top of his game, and he can play a fairly complete game. He has the speed and skill to play with Crosby, and he has probably one of the most lethal right handed shots in the league. It's hard, and it's accurate. Him on that left wall would be money.

If there was one guy in this league that I think this team could turn into the next James Neal...it'd be Setoguchi.

I agree 100%. Plus he's young, experienced with playing with all stars like Thornton, affordable and signed next year to boot. Lastly, he's cheap.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think mueller would be great as a reclamation project. Based on his draft pedigree and skillset i would give him a chance. He scored 20 goals in his first season so he has potential but his production has seemingly dropped

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think mueller would be great as a reclamation project. Based on his draft pedigree and skillset i would give him a chance. He scored 20 goals in his first season so he has potential but his production has seemingly dropped

Agreed.

Seto on that left wall would be so money.

Devin Setoguchi is on the trading block. He arrived in great shape, is much more physical but hasn't scored. Still, it's not easy trading a player coming off a career low in goals who makes $3.25 million next year.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/189522511.html?refer=y&refer=y

2d8esg5.gif

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I didn't think Setoguchi was worth Despres at any point this year.

I wasn't of the opinion Despres could take on top 4 minutes this season. From what Ive seen, he should stay in the lineup along with Bortuzzo.

I'd rather deal Niskanen and add to get Clutterbuck.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
As long as we agree that the price isn't Despres at this point. Would love to get him for just a pick.

I agree 100% unless Minny would add someone else on their end like a young forward prospect who has a lot of potential like Zach Phillips...

I didn't bother mentioning Coyle or Zucker. No way they'd let either go right now...

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Neither was I, but a lot of people were. It's crazy talk.

I wasn't really for it or against it. Some of us heard the horror stories of his struggles and healthy scratches in WBS before the NHL season got going and wondered if he had regressed. I think all of us have been reassured by his play lately though and now very few, if any, will want to move him for anything short of packaging him for an elite player.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I wasn't really for it or against it. Some of us heard the horror stories of his struggles and healthy scratches in WBS before the NHL season got going and wondered if he had regressed. I think all of us have been reassured by his play lately though and now very few, if any, will want to move him for anything short of packaging him for an elite player.

Sutter+Despres+1st for Ryan for example. I think that will get him. That's close to the Staal deal, and it would be Staal for Ryan if we traded him to the Ducks. Ducks get a 2nd line center, a top D prospect who's looking really good at the NHL level, although small sample size, and a 1st in a deep draft. Don't think Shero would do it, it would mean the end of the 3C but we would get our elite winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad