All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I only trade despres for a young skilled winger with lots of contract control that has proven he can put up some points in the NHL. I'm curious hire people see despres compared to where Gogo was at the time he was traded. I think that if anyone it's traded it will be martin, nisky, kennedy or despres. Out of those despres has the most value to me. Martin is close if we eat some salary.

It all depends on the other teams needs. TB could use Martin (Martin for Malone), StLouis could use Niskanen (Niskanen for Stewart), Wild could use Despres (Despres for .....um, not Seto , that's all i gotta say), Some team in need of some scoring could use TK and hope he can be good for the 2nd line, or 3rd line and give us a pick (4th) in return.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The one fear I have about these last couple of games where the Pens exploded for 11 goals (5 versus NJ, 6 against the Caps), is this might convince management there's no issue in our top six.

I hope they realize that Sid's not going to be as great as he was yesterday, or that we're not going to face a goalie who played as bad at Holtby did today every night.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Out of the 2 players, i like Clutterbuck the most! the guy's a beast hitting machine who can pot us 15 goals a year. Wild fans tell us to NEVER put Clutterbuck on the top 6, but imagine Cooke-Sutter-Clutterbuck for our 3rd line? Hell i'd be tempted to try Vitale with Clutterbuck and Cooke every now and then just to see them wear teams down physically.:laugh:

I was more thinking:

Kunitz/ZBo-Sid-Setoguchi
ZBo/Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Clutterbuck
Tangradi-Jeffrey-Adams

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
when did we start calling him Z-Bo?

113282144_crop_650x440.jpg

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I mentioned Maatta since thye mutually liked each other at the draft (LOL). Plus, he's redundant in our system and Shero has already mentioned that they can eventually be used to acquire assets to fill holes.

What makes it unclear is how Kennedy and Tangradi have been playing recently. It seems as though the Pens like Jeffrey's flexibility to play wing or center should there be any injuries. Even though we have a logjam on D at the moment, its hard to tell who Shero would be inclined to move once Niskanen comes back. Ideally, it would be Lovejoy but who knows if anybody even wants him. I was hoping Shero would place him on waivers upon Niskanen's return so we can be more flexible with our roster given that we just picked up Boychuk from waivers. I'd be very comfortable not changing anything on the D upon Niskanen's return except getting rid of Lovejoy (who can easily be replaced with another veteran like Dylan Reese or Mark Eaton, assuming they sign him, should there be any injuries).

As for the forwards, its a different story. I'd like to see Kennedy gone for the right player (ie. Setoguchi). Also, I'd like to see Shero get something for Tangradi before its too late given that he's now in mgmt's doghouse taking a roster spot on the big club and am worried that his market value is depreciating quickly.

I'm crossing my fingers that Minny would be willing to take either Tangradi or Kennedy for Seto. Ideally, it would be great especially since they want to add size (Tangradi) or move things around so they can spark the 2nd and 3rd lines (3rd line = Kennedy, 2nd Line = Bouchard or Coyle/Zucker).

My gut tells me that they'd want one of our young D that they can send down to make room for Seto's replacement (Zucker / Coyle) since they also have a logjam on D however they have some minor injuries on D at the moment.

Has anybody thought about the possibilitythat Bortuzzo was being showcased and may now have changed mgmt's mind about moving him based on his recent performance? Unless there's an injury in the next couple of weeks, they'll have to do something about it once Niskanen returns... for example, dump Lovejoy.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
The one fear I have about these last couple of games where the Pens exploded for 11 goals (5 versus NJ, 6 against the Caps), is this might convince management there's no issue in our top six.

I hope they realize that Sid's not going to be as great as he was yesterday, or that we're not going to face a goalie who played as bad at Holtby did today every night.

I hope to God you're wrong but a lot of it has to do with our support of our D in the transition from D to O. Notice how that's happened the moment we removed Lovejoy from the equation. Once Niskanen got injured, all hell broke loose.

I'm sure something must be in the works for Kennedy or Tangradi. Shero recently has sounded optimistic about Tangradi. Swapping Tangradi (+ something minor) for Setoguchi would be ideal so Minny can save some $$$ and add the size they seek on one of their bottom six. Pity he's prone to waivers or it would've been a no brainer for them.

Although I HATE Kennedy, he still has a lot of playoff experience with us and can prove to be useful every now and then should be encounter any injuries up front.

Like I've always said, if anybody knows our roster extremely well and have the perfect relationship with Shero, its Chuck Fletcher and Yeo.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
As long as management goes in the direction of moving Seto to make room for Coyle and company, then we make good trade partners as they have a definite need on D. And if the two sides get talks going, no way does Shero not try and add to get Clutterbuck. I'd argue we need a guy like him as much as another skilled forward. We lack a consistent physical presence in our top 9.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
There's quite a few NHL pieces that I'd part with before some of our prospects, among those would be...

Niskanen: I think we have the young guys who can take over what he brings to the table. Maybe not immediately, but they definitely can in the future, and honestly, both Bortuzzo and Despres bring more of what we're lacking. I also think Niskanen has a little more value than a prospect right now as he is under contract for another season, he has proven he can be effective in a top 4 role, and he has the skillset that a lot of teams look for. He was a great reclamation project, and it's about time to capitalize on that, IMO. He's a guy who a team can plug in from day 1 and be fine, where as all of our prospects are still in that grey area of being ready and not being ready.

Kennedy: I think he has more value to another team than he does here. What I mean by that is, if we get a top 6 option, someone is going to take his spot, not to mention, we have guys who would probably be better at filling his role right now, as his spot on the team could be used by Tangradi or Jeffrey. TK is under a good number, and he has proven capable of scoring 20 goals.

Tangradi: I think teams would be highly interested in ET because they see the potential. I would still like to keep him around, but if the right deal came around, I'd pack his bags for him. Tangradi is still young, and in the right system surrounded by the right players with the right coaching, I think he could do really well.

Jeffrey: He's an NHL player. I could see a team making a move for him who needs a 3rd line center. I think Jeffrey has scoring potential that most don't even realize.

Along with these guys, we have all of our picks. I wouldn't be against moving any of them, and I'd be more inclined to move draft picks before prospects.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
As long as management goes in the direction of moving Seto to make room for Coyle and company, then we make good trade partners as they have a definite need on D. And if the two sides get talks going, no way does Shero not try and add to get Clutterbuck. I'd argue we need a guy like him as much as another skilled forward. We lack a consistent physical presence in our top 9.

Clutterbuck, Malone. There is some POW! for ya. Although tbh i dunno how Malone is up to these days.

Kunitz-Crosby
Malone-Malkin
Clutterbuck-Sutter

That SHOULD be enough damage in your top 9. Crosby can get his "winger", Malkin has his "winger", Cooke can play on the right side. It wont happen, but i'm just getting tough guys for the left side. As for what we trade...dunno?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
A good portion of Malone's salary would have to be taken for me to even consider dealing for him at this point. He just cannot stay healthy.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
i would love clutterbuck, but i feel like every team wants him.

has there been any indication minnesota is looking to move him?

Beats me, i'm just going by what some of their fans are saying. I'm sure it would require more to move him then his worth though. But if we are getting Seto, Shero better bring Clutterbuck with him.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec

I think Clutterbuck is a pipedream. No way they move him. Russo has specifically mentioned that they want to add some size up front, try to save some $$$ in the process, and try to upgrade a little on D.

I could imagine these players being of interest to Minny.

* Tangradi (young, SIZE, potential to be effective bottom six, CHEAP, Fletcher pushed Shero very hard to acquire him in the Kunitz/Whitney deal)

* Kennedy (Save some $$$, provide a spark to the bottom six, same age as Seto approx, playoff experience, relentless worker, gritty forechecker)

* Maatta (Save $$$, provide flexibility to their big league roster so they can call-up Coyle/Zucker to replace Seto, friends with Granlund, liked him ta the draft, Olli has already stated that he wanted Minny to draft him and he got a lot of interest from them at the draft).

* Bortuzzo (Cheap, Young, upgrade their lower pairing D)

* Niskanen (Same age as Seto, Cheaper, UFA at same time as Seto, Same age as Seto, Upgrade D, Minnesota native, Righthanded D which they need)

* Despres (Upgrade D, can be sent down and provide roster spot as needed for Seto replacements Zucker/Coyle, CHEAP)

I'm banking on Kennedy or Tangradi or Bortuzzo or Maatta (in a bigger deal involving possible Phillips given hes in their doghouse in Houston, would be ideal in our system and we liked him at his draft year)

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
What I really like about the idea of moving Kennedy is that Dupuis can easily replace him on the 3rd line and provide leadership, speed and support (due to an improved hockey IQ) to Sutter & Cooke. They'd be dynamite together. That's where Dupuis belongs. Also, he looks a step behind this year on the 1st line with Sid... as if he lost his hands a little.

He must be delegated to the 3rd line where he belongs.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
What I really like about the idea of moving Kennedy is that Dupuis can easily replace him on the 3rd line and provide leadership, speed and support (due to an improved hockey IQ) to Sutter & Cooke. They'd be dynamite together. That's where Dupuis belongs. Also, he looks a step behind this year on the 1st line with Sid... as if he lost his hands a little.

He must be delegated to the 3rd line where he belongs.

That 59 point season was a one time only thing. He still has 6 points in 9 games, i'll say he gets 25 points in the 48 games which is like 40-45ish points in a full season.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You guys keep bringing up seto why in the world would u want this guy? According to one of there beat writers hes prob gonna be a healthy scratch next game. He comes with a reputation of being a terrible defensive forward and has a 3 million cap hit.

Some of the the guys i see people wanna trade for a winger is TK and Tangradi. TK is a 3rd line winger whos gonna score about 10-15 goals a year and hes a rfa next year. He might be worth a 3rd rd pick but thats probaly on the high side hes def not gonna get u a top 6 winger. Tangradi is worthless in a trade no teams gonna give up anything he might even clear waivers which is where hes gonna eventually be. If were gonna get a good top 6 winger who isent a rental its gonna take players like despres morrow pouliot and 1st rd picks.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
You guys keep bringing up seto why in the world would u want this guy? According to one of there beat writers hes prob gonna be a healthy scratch next game. He comes with a reputation of being a terrible defensive forward and has a 3 million cap hit.

Some of the the guys i see people wanna trade for a winger is TK and Tangradi. TK is a 3rd line winger whos gonna score about 10-15 goals a year and hes a rfa next year. He might be worth a 3rd rd pick but thats probaly on the high side hes def not gonna get u a top 6 winger. Tangradi is worthless in a trade no teams gonna give up anything he might even clear waivers which is where hes gonna eventually be. If were gonna get a good top 6 winger who isent a rental its gonna take players like despres morrow pouliot and 1st rd picks.

Seto is very affordable now and can potentially thrive next to Sid. Don't forget that he's playing with other struggling players at the moment (ie. Granlund) and his performance may be correlated to that. What we've been saying is that some players like Kennedy or Tangradi may also require a change of scenery. It could be a win-win for both teams if we'd swap them. Minny would also save $$$ taking TK or ET for Seto so its more balanced than soe may think.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Why? he had 31 goals in 1 year, although he's regressed since but he's still a lock for 20 goals a year. Take a risk on him next to Crosby and hope for more 30 goal seasons. He's only 26, and who cares if he's not that good defensivly, aslong as he puts up 30 goals a season. It's a gamble, and one worth trying for (aslong as it's not a good player or one of our good D/F prospects). He can be had cheap and Fletch has history with the Pens and Shero. Why not take the risk?

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010

I agree, I really don't want seto.

This clearly won't happen but, apparently our scouts were at the florida-buffalo game today. Now here's what I'm saying, swing a deal for Vanek or Weiss.

Vanek may be hard to pry away cause he's been dynamite this year, but Weiss most likely wants out.

Tangradi, Kennedy, a prospect and a first could get it done for both, we might have to add too though.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Any guy you trade for is going to have warts. You want the guys with warts as they cost less. If you get a complete player, he's going to cost the farm.

Setoguchi is everything we need in a top 6'er. He doesn't avoid playing defense. He's been lax in playing defense. I've seen the guy at the top of his game, and he can play a fairly complete game. He has the speed and skill to play with Crosby, and he has probably one of the most lethal right handed shots in the league. It's hard, and it's accurate. Him on that left wall would be money.

If there was one guy in this league that I think this team could turn into the next James Neal...it'd be Setoguchi.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I agree, I really don't want seto.

This clearly won't happen but, apparently our scouts were at the florida-buffalo game today. Now here's what I'm saying, swing a deal for Vanek or Weiss.

Vanek may be hard to pry away cause he's been dynamite this year, but Weiss most likely wants out.

Tangradi, Kennedy, a prospect and a first could get it done for both, we might have to add too though.

Weiss is a center, and I'd be shocked if Buffalo let's Vanek go, no matter how far out of it they are. I expect them to talk extension with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad