All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Weiss is a center, and I'd be shocked if Buffalo let's Vanek go, no matter how far out of it they are. I expect them to talk extension with him.

I know Weiss is a center, that opens up quite a few options though.

Neal-Crosby-Malkin Kunitz-Weiss-Boychuk

Weiss-Crosby-Kunitz Neal-Malkin-Boychuk

Weiss-Malkin-Neal Kunitz-Crosby-Boychuk

And the powerplay as well would be top notch

Vanek's just a pipedream on my part

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Any guy you trade for is going to have warts. You want the guys with warts as they cost less. If you get a complete player, he's going to cost the farm.

Setoguchi is everything we need in a top 6'er. He doesn't avoid playing defense. He's been lax in playing defense. I've seen the guy at the top of his game, and he can play a fairly complete game. He has the speed and skill to play with Crosby, and he has probably one of the most lethal right handed shots in the league. It's hard, and it's accurate. Him on that left wall would be money.

If there was one guy in this league that I think this team could turn into the next James Neal...it'd be Setoguchi.

Seto would definatly be easier to get then Stewart. They could both be the next James Neal here, although Stewart who knows what you will get from game to game. Although give me both and worry about it later.:p:

Seto-Crosby-Stewart
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

I can dream.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
You guys keep bringing up seto why in the world would u want this guy? According to one of there beat writers hes prob gonna be a healthy scratch next game. He comes with a reputation of being a terrible defensive forward and has a 3 million cap hit.

he's been a consistently above-average forechecker for most of his career.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I know Weiss is a center, that opens up quite a few options though.

Neal-Crosby-Malkin Kunitz-Weiss-Boychuk

Weiss-Crosby-Kunitz Neal-Malkin-Boychuk

Weiss-Malkin-Neal Kunitz-Crosby-Boychuk

And the powerplay as well would be top notch

Vanek's just a pipedream on my part

We'd be better off going after a pure winger.

Seto would definatly be easier to get then Stewart. They could both be the next James Neal here, although Stewart who knows what you will get from game to game. Although give me both and worry about it later.:p:

Seto-Crosby-Stewart
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

I can dream.

That'd be a lot of fun to watch.

I'm not so sure Stewart's going rate is as high as some Blues fans think it is. He's an expendable part of that lineup, and I personally think that STL would rather have roster flexibility and cap space at the deadline more than they would rather have him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Interdasting.

Minny needs to shed some salary too to fit Parise and Suter into the future cap structure. Replacing Seto with TK save $1mil. Or a lil over $2mil if they pick Tangradi...

Tangradi, a defensive prospect, and a pick might do it...

Perhaps Tangradi+Lovejoy+2nd for Setoguchi+3rd or something. Change Lovejoy to a prospect and the 3rd to Clutterbuck?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Interdasting.

Minny needs to shed some salary too to fit Parise and Suter into the future cap structure. Replacing Seto with TK save $1mil. Or a lil over $2mil if they pick Tangradi...

Tangradi, a defensive prospect, and a pick might do it...

Perhaps Tangradi+Lovejoy+2nd for Setoguchi+3rd or something. Change Lovejoy to a prospect and the 3rd to Clutterbuck?

Or just TK+Tangradi for Seto+cap dump that we can bury in WBS and clean it off our cap (like we did Satan).

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Why? he had 31 goals in 1 year, although he's regressed since but he's still a lock for 20 goals a year. Take a risk on him next to Crosby and hope for more 30 goal seasons. He's only 26, and who cares if he's not that good defensivly, aslong as he puts up 30 goals a season. It's a gamble, and one worth trying for (aslong as it's not a good player or one of our good D/F prospects). He can be had cheap and Fletch has history with the Pens and Shero. Why not take the risk?

What do u mean who cares about defense? Defense is half the game. He was a minus 17 last year. I agree that it helps wingers to have centers like sid and geno but its not a guarantee there gonna thrive with them alot of players have trouble playing with star players. I think most people here want to get a winger for sid and move kunitz with geno. To me i think u would be downgrading sids line if u take off kunitz and add seto.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
We'd be better off going after a pure winger.

I know but where are we going to get one that's readily available with the skill level and complete game as Weiss? It'll be hard for him to switch to wing, but that's honestly a gamble I'd be willing to take.

Seto is garbage defensively and is even more of a gamble, Stewart isn't going anywhere, the Blues aren't gonna mess up the chemistry in their room. Iginla maybe, even though he's older. We might have to wait till July 3rd for a swing at Perry if he even gets to free agency. Horton won'r go anywhere. I would ask for Kessel or Lupul, but the price would be at the moon, cause they're the leafs' only two consistent scorers.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I agree, I really don't want seto.

This clearly won't happen but, apparently our scouts were at the florida-buffalo game today. Now here's what I'm saying, swing a deal for Vanek or Weiss.

Vanek may be hard to pry away cause he's been dynamite this year, but Weiss most likely wants out.

Tangradi, Kennedy, a prospect and a first could get it done for both, we might have to add too though.

You're not serious about Vanek for that package are you?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I hope to God you're wrong but a lot of it has to do with our support of our D in the transition from D to O. Notice how that's happened the moment we removed Lovejoy from the equation. Once Niskanen got injured, all hell broke loose.

I'm sure something must be in the works for Kennedy or Tangradi. Shero recently has sounded optimistic about Tangradi. Swapping Tangradi (+ something minor) for Setoguchi would be ideal so Minny can save some $$$ and add the size they seek on one of their bottom six. Pity he's prone to waivers or it would've been a no brainer for them.

Although I HATE Kennedy, he still has a lot of playoff experience with us and can prove to be useful every now and then should be encounter any injuries up front.

Like I've always said, if anybody knows our roster extremely well and have the perfect relationship with Shero, its Chuck Fletcher and Yeo.

I guess for me I'd rather be pessimistic and end up being pleasantly surprised when we land that top six winger, rather than be optimistic and end up being disappointed when nothing happens.

I just feel like we're so close to having a really, really good top six. We've got two superstar top six centers in Sid and Geno, we've got one legitimate scoring winger in Neal, and we've got two solid "third wheel" wingers in Kunitz and Dupuis. All we're literally lacking is that one extra talented winger and we've got almost an ideal top six.

This is the part that's kind of frustrating waiting for it to happen. It's just *one* roster spot that needs filling. It's not like we're a team that has to make 6 or 7 moves to even be a contender. We're literally one Stewart or one Iginla or one Perry or one Setoguchi away from having a top six I'd never complain about.

Get it done, Ray.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
You're not serious about Vanek for that package are you?

Pipedream :nod:

lol, that **** doesn't even go down in nhl 13, i know it won't happen, i'm just saying that's what we have to offer, but we'd have to add BIIIG time for vanek.

don't worry i'm not that stupid

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
What do u mean who cares about defense? Defense is half the game. He was a minus 17 last year. I agree that it helps wingers to have centers like sid and geno but its not a guarantee there gonna thrive with them alot of players have trouble playing with star players. I think most people here want to get a winger for sid and move kunitz with geno. To me i think u would be downgrading sids line if u take off kunitz and add seto.

Crosby and Dupuis can worry about the D, you don't need every player on every line to be great defensivly. I don't know anything about Seto's D game anyway but i'm sure Crosby and Dupuis can take care of the problems.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Seto is certainly worth buying low on if that's possible. I do think we need to ship a regular forward out if we're acquiring him. Kennedy makes the most sense since he's replaceable by dropping Dupuis down to line 3 and putting Seto on line 1.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Any guy you trade for is going to have warts. You want the guys with warts as they cost less. If you get a complete player, he's going to cost the farm.

Setoguchi is everything we need in a top 6'er. He doesn't avoid playing defense. He's been lax in playing defense. I've seen the guy at the top of his game, and he can play a fairly complete game. He has the speed and skill to play with Crosby, and he has probably one of the most lethal right handed shots in the league. It's hard, and it's accurate. Him on that left wall would be money.

If there was one guy in this league that I think this team could turn into the next James Neal...it'd be Setoguchi.

Cant say iv seen a ton of wild games but the ones iv seen he doesn't look very good. The way u just described him u make him sound like an all star but the reality is that the wild are having trouble scoring besides there parise line and there benching him in hopes of getting secondary scoring. I think he has a better chance of ending up like poni. I guess we will see what happens

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'd love to be able to get Setoguchi out of Minnesota, but I'd still like to target another winger for the top 6 as well ideally. I have no idea if we have enough assets Shero is willing to part with to get 2 though.

Kunitz - Crosby - Setoguchi
X - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

That would be the best top 6 we've ever had in the Crosby/Malkin era.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Seto has struggled to finish plays this year for some reason and he's always been streaky. I do think he plays hard from the games I've watched. He does finish his checks etc. Maybe not a great defender but a lot of offensive minded wingers fall under that description.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Seto has struggled to finish plays this year for some reason and he's always been streaky. I do think he plays hard from the games I've watched. He does finish his checks etc. Maybe not a great defender but a lot of offensive minded wingers fall under that description.

I'd definitely be willing to part with assets to find out if a change of scenery would do any good for him.

At the very least he'd be an improvement over Dupuis.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Cant say iv seen a ton of wild games but the ones iv seen he doesn't look very good. The way u just described him u make him sound like an all star but the reality is that the wild are having trouble scoring besides there parise line and there benching him in hopes of getting secondary scoring. I think he has a better chance of ending up like poni. I guess we will see what happens

Poni was a stat producer on a terrible team. He was never a real good player. Setoguchi has been a 20 goal scorer his entire career, and has proven capable of putting up huge numbers with skill. That's a crucial part of this whole equation.

Setoguchi is average defensively, but he doesn't have to be Marian Hossa. We need him to back defensemen up and score goals. He forechecks well, as he's a great skater.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Poni was a stat producer on a terrible team. He was never a real good player. Setoguchi has been a 20 goal scorer his entire career, and has proven capable of putting up huge numbers with skill. That's a crucial part of this whole equation.

Setoguchi is average defensively, but he doesn't have to be Marian Hossa. We need him to back defensemen up and score goals. He forechecks well, as he's a great skater.

I just got done watching some of his highlights on NHL.com, and he scored a bit of his goals on the PP, and some of them were clutch goals in the playoffs. Two OT winners for instance.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Why is everybody so willing to get stewart. From what i heard he is basically st.louis's tk.. Dont know much abouut him but that what i heard, perhaphs i heard wrong?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

Exactly.

And he'd be out there with Sid, one of Kunitz/Dupuis and likely a solid defense pair so he'll be well insulated with responsible defensive players out there with him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Why is everybody so willing to get stewart. From what i heard he is basically st.louis's tk.. Dont know much abouut him but that what i heard, perhaphs i heard wrong?

Yeah, you're wrong. Only way he compares to Kennedy is that he's playing on their 3rd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad