AEW All Elite Wrestling #9: Mox Aggressor Brings the Blood

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
You know how it has been said that a lot of AEW fans can not accept any criticism of AEW or admit that they ever do anything wrong?

This is what they had in mind
Fletcher and Ospreay have been part of the same faction for years now. They wrestled as six-man tag team partners on AEW television multiple times before either signed with AEW. You think it's strange that they're spending time together... given their history, I think it would have been incredibly strange had they completely ignored each other.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Fletcher and Ospreay have been part of the same faction for years now. They wrestled as six-man tag team partners on AEW television multiple times before either signed with AEW. You think it's strange that they're spending time together... given their history, I think it would have been incredibly strange had they completely ignored each other.

No, I think it is strange that they are wrestling each other, as part of a heel faction, it makes no sense. It would be one thing if they had a disagreement or something but Ospreay just came in and Callis sets him up to have matches against teammates for no apparent reason other than they can have good matches with each other

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
No, I think it is strange that they are wrestling each other, as part of a heel faction, it makes no sense. It would be one thing if they had a disagreement or something but Ospreay just came in and Callis sets him up to have matches against teammates for no apparent reason other than they can have good matches with each other

The story behind it is that Don Callis isn't putting Ospreay against his stablemates for no reason. He clearly has some sort of dubious plan. Ospreay has been splitting off from Callis a bit and Don was favoring Takeshita in their match at Revolution.

It's subtle right now since all the attention is on Ospreay/Danielson but it's bubbling under the surface.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
The story behind it is that Don Callis isn't putting Ospreay against his stablemates for no reason. He clearly has some sort of dubious plan. Ospreay has been splitting off from Callis a bit and Don was favoring Takeshita in their match at Revolution.

It's subtle right now since all the attention is on Ospreay/Danielson but it's bubbling under the surface.

Eh, maybe this would have been better handled if they were more straightforward and the Callis family just jumped him after the Takeshita match or on the following dynamite then, Ospreay has been getting face reactions pretty much since he showed up, so I think the subtle route might not have been the best way

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Eh, maybe this would have been better handled if they were more straightforward and the Callis family just jumped him after the Takeshita match or on the following dynamite then, Ospreay has been getting face reactions pretty much since he showed up, so I think the subtle route might not have been the best way
Perhaps they want it to be a slow burn between Ospreay and the Callis Family because they're waiting for Mark Davis to return from injury before reforming United Empire?

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I admit I am a pretty casual AEW fan, I watch Dynamite regularly, Collision once in a while, and the odd PPV but that's about it. I haven't watched WWE in 25 years, the herky-jerky camera and melodramatic angles turn me off.

So can someone ELI5 why the CM Punk backstage video is getting so many peoples' feathers ruffled? To me it was a "who cares" 5 minute throw away segment that didn't make a ton of sense, but not everything always does. But people in the IWC are acting like it is the moment where AEW jumped the shark. Why is everyone so whipped up about this?

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I admit I am a pretty casual AEW fan, I watch Dynamite regularly, Collision once in a while, and the odd PPV but that's about it. I haven't watched WWE in 25 years, the herky-jerky camera and melodramatic angles turn me off.

So can someone ELI5 why the CM Punk backstage video is getting so many peoples' feathers ruffled? To me it was a "who cares" 5 minute throw away segment that didn't make a ton of sense, but not everything always does. But people in the IWC are acting like it is the moment where AEW jumped the shark. Why is everyone so whipped up about this?
It's pretty simple, they hate AEW and Tony Khan. It'll be remembered as a nothing burger.

I find a lot of criticism(like the post you quoted) clearly don't actually pay attention to the product, they merely read other complaints and echo them.
That's beyond obvious at this point.

You know how it has been said that a lot of AEW fans can not accept any criticism of AEW or admit that they ever do anything wrong?

This is what they had in mind
Nice deflection and it's hilarious that Jussi laughed with you when he flips out anytime someone criticizes WWE.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
AEW tribalism is hilarious more hilarious than the WWE tribalism

Anyways Hook is leaving AEW this year.
That's pretty rich considering this is the AEW thread and there's constantly WWE fans in here bashing them. Doesn't seem to happen in the WWE threads though.

As for Hook, I'd be glad to see him leave. He's ok in the ring but his gimmick and non existent mic work suck imo. I'd rather see the tv time go to more talented wrestlers.

Reactions: SnS

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I don’t think AEW has ever had a major signing flop in the initial run as much as Mercedes has seemingly flopped. Everything with her right now is just full on a channel changer for me. Mariah Mays match is getting more views then Mercedes segment lol which I mean is good in a sense as I think Mariah might actually be the future of that division…but really bad in that Mercedes was supposed to elevate the division on her own lol
She is a terrible promo and she is extremely unlikable. It is not surprising that she is flopping especially when she does not wrestle.

It was very predictable, IMO.

Everything about her new presentation is awful. The name, the nicknames, the attitude. It is heel as hell but she is trying to be a babyface.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Supposedly Ospreay wanted to make the shot at HHH because Hunter knew his family situation from negotiations and the reason why he is so adamant about staying in England so felt like it was a low blow and disrespectful. My opinion overall is the All In footage shouldn’t have been shown while also not being some company ending moment it doesn’t help them long term and is kind of dumb. Ospreay don’t have an issue with him taking his shot at all but on the same episode as the All In mess makes it look worse.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I think HHH's shot was not warranted.

He could have answered the question very similarly to what he did without saying some guys do not want to the grind and bla bla. Totally uncessary. I guess it created reactions and that might be what HHH wanted to do. Still, it was disrespectful.

Ospreay answering was giving it an importance it should not have had, IMO. I do understand his frustration though.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I have a problem with Ospreay taking a shot just because it was a whiff. For starters he is suggesting HHH is only where he is because of who he sleeps with- the problem with that is that WWE is the hottest it’s been in 25 years with him at the helm. Like it directly corresponds with when he took over. The bosses daughter thing doesn’t work when McMahon isn’t a boss anymore! Then you factor in that it’s 20 straight min of your TV show dedicated to Big Brother and that he’s bringing up the mother of his kids and it’s just a miss for me dawg! Not to mention HHH didn’t mention Ospreay by name…he could’ve been referring to any of their big signings lately. It was unnecessary but he also didn’t do it on their television, he answered a question on mcafees show or whatever. Ospreay’s delivery was great and his in-ring work is immaculate but this was just a turd

Honestly the show was mostly quite good, that 20 min stretch was just ill-advised (and it’s pretty unanimous across the board so this isn’t just “hating”)

Reactions: Jussi

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
That's pretty rich considering this is the AEW thread and there's constantly WWE fans in here bashing them. Doesn't seem to happen in the WWE threads though.

As for Hook, I'd be glad to see him leave. He's ok in the ring but his gimmick and non existent mic work suck imo. I'd rather see the tv time go to more talented wrestlers.
He needs character work. Chewing on nothing and looking grouchy has run it's course. He is in desperate need of promo work and a good singles program

I think HHH's shot was not warranted.

He could have answered the question very similarly to what he did without saying some guys do not want to the grind and bla bla. Totally uncessary. I guess it created reactions and that might be what HHH wanted to do. Still, it was disrespectful.

Ospreay answering was giving it an importance it should not have had, IMO. I do understand his frustration though.
There were other ways AEW could have handled Ospreay's promo without going low.

I didn't totally hate it, but I do think they could have just focused on themselves. Show pride in the tat, show pride in the work rate, and move on.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
He needs character work. Chewing on nothing and looking grouchy has run it's course. He is in desperate need of promo work and a good singles program
Yeah, I shouldn't have said I'd be glad to see him leave but there's definitely other guys I'd rather see get the tv time.

Reactions: TD Charlie

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
For a company that says they just want to put on a good show and do their business, AEW does worry about WWE a lot. I get it in terms of wanting to get places by taking shots at the biggest kid in the yard, but they don’t make it work.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
For a company that says they just want to put on a good show and do their business, AEW does worry about WWE a lot. I get it in terms of wanting to get places by taking shots at the biggest kid in the yard, but they don’t make it work.
Well considering they were responding to WWE taking shots at them it was obviously going to happen. Airing it on Dynamite wasn't the best move but it won't matter in the long run and they were obviously going to release it somewhere to prove Punk lied.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It’s totally understandable why somebody wouldn’t want to work the WWE grind, I don’t even know how acknowledging that somebody doesn’t want to do it is taken as an insult. Nobody said Ospreay didn’t work hard (hell nobody even named him!). I know I wouldn’t want to work the WWE travel grind. Good on Will for not wanting that either!

Like my company requires people to put in a certain amount of hours. Some applicants want to put in less and do other stuff on the side. They are not great fits and I tell them so. I want/need full time commitments. It is not an insult when I tell them that. They move on and find an opportunity that’s a better fit for them and what they are looking for. So I don’t know why it’s taken so personally in this incident? Because HHH got asked a question and said he only wanted people who could commit to the WWE grind? this is just dumb imo

They can keep throwing rocks at the sun if they want to, it just takes away from their product

Last edited:

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
"When I see people that come out of trying to make it and then they pick the job where they go, "Well, they work less, the schedule is lighter...alright, then I'm glad I didn't get you because if you're not in it for the grind at that point early in your your career, you have no business being here."

That is Triple H's quote. I don't blame Ospreay for being a little fired up about that. It's a couple of jabs though. Not a big deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnS

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
"When I see people that come out of trying to make it and then they pick the job where they go, "Well, they work less, the schedule is lighter...alright, then I'm glad I didn't get you because if you're not in it for the grind at that point early in your your career, you have no business being here."

That is Triple H's quote. I don't blame Ospreay for being a little fired up about that. It's a couple of jabs though. Not a big deal.
By what measure is Ospreay early in his career? He’s been doing this so long he has the Meltzer 5 star record lol, he was in TNA almost 10 years ago. He was an NJPW champion 7 years ago

I think this is the IWC going over the top again

Reactions: Jussi

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Forbidden door got moved out of Arther Ash because New Japan is allegedly broke

I could see that they're pretty much running out of talent. Tanahashi is old and can barely move, their champion is 41 year old Naito and the faction that essentially made them popular is being ran by a midcarder with guys fresh out the dojo following him.

They're trying to push Tsuji and Umino to be the new Okada and Naito but they're just nowhere near on that level yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad